Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

'99 Engine Noise

Hello,

I started my '99 Bounder, V10, around 44K miles, and hear an engine noise that I suspect isn't normal. I sort of heard it last year, but it was the first full year we had it and I thought it might be normal. This year it's the same noise but sounds a bit different in that it's not fully constant. It sounds like a noise that's made when a power steering pump gets low on fluid, but not quite as loud (fluids are normal on everything). When I turn the engine off however, it has a sort of rattling sound. This sound occurs just after the engine stops turning (or very close). It's difficult to pinpoint where it's coming from, though it's loudest on the passenger side of the engine. Attached is a video I took of it (well, audio, the video isn't useful). Ideas?

https://youtu.be/ZmdEil86V9o
Attached Files
toniintc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forums..

A couple thoughts

Sounds like a Serpentine belt idler bearing???? You have three of them two on either side of the engine and one on the tensioner.

Could also be a bad alternator, water pump, power steering, or AC compressor bearing.

Take the serpentine belt off, start the truck and see if it still makes the noise.

I don;t think this is it, but look at this anyway:

Look carefully on the bottom of the Power Steering resivour there is a large hose that feeds the power steering pump. Look carefully where that hose turns and goes through the firewall. See if it is kinked. On my 2001 Mirada it was kinked and blocking fluid to the power steering pump..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Welcome to the forums..

A couple thoughts

Sounds like a Serpentine belt idler bearing???? You have three of them two on either side of the engine and one on the tensioner.

Could also be a bad alternator, water pump, power steering, or AC compressor bearing.

Take the serpentine belt off, start the truck and see if it still makes the noise.

I don;t think this is it, but look at this anyway:

Look carefully on the bottom of the Power Steering resivour there is a large hose that feeds the power steering pump. Look carefully where that hose turns and goes through the firewall. See if it is kinked. On my 2001 Mirada it was kinked and blocking fluid to the power steering pump..
X2.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #4

Altenator
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, noise