Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshak View Post
Goldwinger, I hear ya on that. However, my wife is worried that the transmission will go next.
Have the trans done also. The Allegro is not new, sooo who knows what will happen. If you build your own you know what you have. That cooling system should be pressure tested before you are denied coverage. That will show were the fluid leaked in. More mechanical diagnostics need to be done. Head gasket, cracked head, cracked block, also check intake manifold gasket. Any coolant in the oil? You really have a thrown rod? Is your engine locked up?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to check to see what you can get a long block sway on the coach and if you are worried about the tranny, get it rebuilt and a new torque converter. This is a lot less $$$ than swapping coaches for another used one that has an unknown history. Unless you just want a new coach.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It gets worse...

The Allegro Bus yesterday caught on fire. When I got to the RV Show in Kenner, LA about 5 PM my salesperson told me what had happened. He said he was just happy that it happened at the dealer and not with us owning it. I have known Murray and I have another friend who works there who confirmed it for me. He said he doesn't understand how it happened. It was in great shape and I drove it and we had both poured over all of the systems for about 3 hours on Friday. The fire was put out with an extinguisher but, obviously, the Allegro is not an option any longer. Looking at 2004 Fleetwood Bounder Turbo Diesel. 38 ft. and has options we want. Also a 2005 Coachman Santara 35 ft. Gas Workhorse chassis, I think a Chevy V8 but, no washer dryer and has table and chairs instead of dinette. I know our Pace needs to have the air ride worked on as well. As far as putting money out on a transmission and torque converter as well as the motor, I did think about that as well. The bill is sitting at a bit below $10,000 right now. I am sure that would pull the bill well over $20,000. That would give me let's see: bought for $37,000 tax, title, license, (and lousy), warranty for 2 yrs/24K miles. When the brakes went out, my cost was $1,500. Has new brake system, power steering pump, 2 new tires: $500 or so (not sure on cost). Adding $20,000 to this would put me at about $60,000 on an 11 yr old RV that is equipped pretty well (washer/dryer), too small fridge, but I would only owe about $20K instead of $40K as on a newer RV. I am sure that new air ride bags would cost a bit, too. The newer RV's I am looking at do not have these same problems. Anyone know of any problems with these other RV's? Opinions? All help is appreciated!
Sailshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
The newer RV's I am looking at do not have these same problems. Anyone know of any problems with these other RV's? Opinions? All help is appreciated!
You never really know what problems any coach has, new or used. Remember the Allegro burned. Mine is an '88 with close to 80,000 miles and I have not had any of those problems, knock on wood. The repair bill is way too high, but you may never really feel comfy with that MH's history. Check out the Workhorse threads on this and other forums, horrible problems with the brakes. I know, I know the fix is coming, but in the meantime a lot of wishy washy brakes out there. If the Bounder has 300 plus horse powerand 600 plus lbs/ft of torque I would take it. JMO

PS: Get the best warranty you can, not the best you can afford, the best you can find. Read the whole contract up front, circle problem verbage and get clarification in writing. It seems that the W-24 chassis does not have the brake problems.
J
Old 03-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thinking about the repair

Goldwinger,

I am thinking about going ahead with replacing the motor as well as the transmission. I know about the brake problems. I had the brakes lock up and stop the coach around Lake Charles, LA. After shutting it down for 15 minutes, it released and I was able to get on the west side of Hammond, LA when it did it again. Did the same thing and got it home. It was in the shop from early March 2009-July 31, 2009. We researched it on the internet and found the probable cause which it ended up being. Now, it has a new power steering pump, an entirely new brake system, I think the air ride or the front springs need to be replaced but otherwise, I would be ok with replacing the motor (and transmission to make my wife happy). I couldn't make the numbers work on the Bounder to where I was comfortable. I have looked at a 2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36 Diesel that they just took on trade for a new Tiffin Zephyr. Nice coach but no washer/dryer (my wife wants that). Has a 6.5KW propane generator. They will come down to $74,000 on it giving me $30K for mine with the motor as is. What do you think? BTW, how does your coach ride?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 AM   #20

Lest we not forget, these ARE NOT warranties, THEY ARE insurance policies, and you've seen how that has worked out so far. Go to www.rv.net and search "extended warranties" if you want to blow a brain fuse! Robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
You never really know what problems any coach has, new or used. Remember the Allegro burned. Mine is an '88 with close to 80,000 miles and I have not had any of those problems, knock on wood. The repair bill is way too high, but you may never really feel comfy with that MH's history. Check out the Workhorse threads on this and other forums, horrible problems with the brakes. I know, I know the fix is coming, but in the meantime a lot of wishy washy brakes out there. If the Bounder has 300 plus horse powerand 600 plus lbs/ft of torque I would take it. JMO

PS: Get the best warranty you can, not the best you can afford, the best you can find. Read the whole contract up front, circle problem verbage and get clarification in writing. It seems that the W-24 chassis does not have the brake problems.
J

'06 AWD Saturn Vue-toad
riggarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Goldwinger,

I have looked at a 2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36 Diesel that they just took on trade for a new Tiffin Zephyr. Nice coach but no washer/dryer (my wife wants that). Has a 6.5KW propane generator. They will come down to $74,000 on it giving me $30K for mine with the motor as is. What do you think? BTW, how does your coach ride?
My coach rides o-k, nothing like a modern DP. Not even like a 1988 DP, a DP is just heads and shoulders above a gas chassis. But I just don't want to have a lot of money tied up in a MH. My trips are usally two to four hours away, wife can't stand long rides, in the caror RV. I, on the other hand, can drive for hours. Me invest 75G in a GB, no disrepect to anyone else, but no, there are much better coachs out there. Sounds like you are tied into that one dealer because they will give you 30 for a disabled MH.
If I liked my floorplan and I plan on keeping my current coach, I would repair that one. The key is to hang on to it, otherwise I would bite the big bullet and get me a new or much newer one. You lose a lot of money trading in quick and getting a small amount of use. You will feel robbed.
J
Old 03-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sailshak, if you can afford it, get the Tiffin. I have had two and I think they are the best coach for your money. I currently hav a 06 Allegro Bay 35ft with two slides and 8.1 gm gas eng. We absolutely love it.

If you get the diesel, the Good sam warranty will be considerably more expensive than the gas and I don't think you can get their plan if the coach is older than 10 years.

I just found out about the Madisonville wooden boat festival. Do you have any information about it?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After careful consideration....

Let's look at it all: The Allegro caught on fire. They want too much money for the GB Landau 36 Diesel, in my opinion. It has 20K miles. The dealer seems to think they have me in a pinch, thinking that I need to get out of the Pace. That is my guess. They know they can get me financed. They also know I can get outside financing (my father-in-law). The cost to drive the 2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36 Diesel away after them taking my trade? $49,000

On the other side: I have a 99 Pace Arrow 37 S, (with a motor that has a thrown rod) with the washer/dryer my wife wants, a floorplan that I like and a coach that I like if I can get it to ride a little better. It has an entirely new brake system, power steering pump, all tires are great, etc... We are a bit scared that the tranny will go next. Also wonder about the A/C's and generator. They work fine now but, we have 48,000 miles on the coach. Spoke to my mechanic this AM. Asked him about replacing the tranny and torque converter and looking at front air ride suspension. Will also need to replace sway bar bushings as they are gone completely. He says after working on that, it should ride a lot better. Not like the diesel pushers but, better than before. Tim will get me a price. He thinks that including the new motor, transmission, and front end work, I should be out the door at $15,000 or less including tax. Should be ready in 2 weeks. I will clear it with my father-in-law first but, if this is where he comes in, that is what we will do. As someone posted earlier, I will have built my RV so to speak. This way, the whole drivetrain will have a 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty. I will then get a lawyer to go after the crummy warranty company to see what I can recoup. I also will have more money to enjoy the RV. What are y'all's thoughts? Right Decision? I look at saving over $30,000 as being smart since my RV is in good shape otherwise.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wooden Boat Festival

Hey Judge: I think you would love The Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival. Usually in early-mid October, Madisonville, LA. Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain. I would book in Fairview-Riverside State Park. Has electric but no sewer hook up. Pretty park, just a short bike ride or mile walk from the Tchefuncte River where the boats are. Lots of crafts, food booths, and loads of old boats from small Chris-Craft and Thompson runabouts to big sailboats and other large pleasure craft. If you have a boat, kayak, etc... and want to see this from the water, Fairview has a boat launch. Lots of boats anchor out in the Tchefuncte River for the weekend. I'm a local and I go every year! Google it and you should find out a lot more! We would love to have you come over for it. If you do, let me know and I will show y'all around!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SuperSteer Springs

Anyone know about these? They are supposed to replace the front airbags in the suspension. If they are as good as they claim, I want them!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
What are y'all's thoughts? Right Decision? I look at saving over $30,000 as being smart since my RV is in good shape otherwise.
It's the way I would go, you own the MH. YOU van pay off the 15K quick at 500 per mo., 3yrs vs. 10-15 yrs. Too bad you can't take a month to six weeks and do the job yourself. I've seen those Supersteer springs but have not heard anything about them. The airbag system is not bad, check the pressure periodically and you're ggod to go. Make sure all of the air connections are tight, new bags are about 100 bucks or so. Poeple have posted how to install them yourself. Does your coach have good power, if not this a good time to give it more juice.
J
Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
more power: Banks kit?

Putting a Banks kit on is a good idea. I do have some concerns, though:
1. Will it void the warranty on the motor/transmission?
2. Will it remove some of the stopping power of the engine when going downhill? Diesels use a jake brake or pac brake. Usually people refer to it as an exhaust brake.
3. Cost of this system

A quick question, when going down a steep grade, mountains, etc... how do you keep speed in check to keep from frying your brakes? Downshift out of overdrive? Do they make some kind of system to help slow down the gas coaches like they do the diesels? If so, now is the time for me to get this done.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Check out this site, Banks has intake and exhaust systems.
Banks Power | Gas Motorhomes, GM#

I've never had downhill braking problems, the engine and light braking has always held the speed nicely. Voiding of the warranty depends on the shop doing your work, get any promises in writing.
J