Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

AC

200 Fleewood Expedition 37U. Went out to fix our interior door problem and turned on the zone 1 ac. It sounded like we were killing someone inside the coach. Any ideas? We just used it last weekend and it was fine. Drove for 2 hours straight home and parked it. DH needs to know if he can access the blower/squirrel cage from the inside or the outside. We believe it's the original ac. Thanks.

Cdsmith96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Squirt cage -- there are two of them. One each on the hot side and the cold side. They both run off the same motor. And it's easier to get to the motor and hot side cage on the outside. One of you inside, one on top yelling Turn it on/off. You'll find foam gasketingmmaterial between the ac unit and its cover. You'll likely tear it getting the cover off. It's sorta important so you should replace it.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:42 AM   #3

X2 on Tony"s post

I'm guessing the noise was a screeching sound. Possibly a dry or bad bearing in squirrel cages or fan motor. Hopefully not the compressor.

If you can, turn on ( for a moment) the unit to fan only:

If the noise is gone and fan runs OK, then it is probably the compressor. I probably would not replace the compressor, instead I would replace the entire unit if that is positively determined to be the problem.

If the noise persists, then it is probably the fan motor or squirrels. My guess would be fan motor. Check it out from the top like Tony suggested.

Hope it is something minor like squirrel nest in your squirrel cage.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:05 AM   #4

ac

It is the fan rubbing on bottom of duct. Can it have come down. I can turn the fan from inside but as I do it hits the duct. if i push on duct downward it spins freely. I guess I need to get to squriel cage but do get to it from up top.

Thanks for any and all help
Gary
Old 08-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #5

What , exactly is the foam gasket material called and where would I get more? Thanks
Old 08-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #6

AC Issue

Thanks to everyone who replied, it helped me to get started. I removed the cover and got to the fan. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. About 8 screws on the cover and 4 holding the condenser grill. Turned it over and found the squirrel cage which was hanging too low. When I pushed on it, it moved back up. It was being held on by a clamp which did not hold the fan to the rod and it would not tighten any more. One trip to Autozone and $3 I bought a new clamp replaced the squirrel cage, tightened it down and everything working like new. Much quiter It should also be noted that it looked like someone else had done some work before and apparently did not use the right clamp. My wife also reminded me that the man we purchased the motorhome from had recently taken it to Camping World for issues with that same unit. We had already discovered an issue with the interior portion of the unit and fixed that myself.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdsmith96 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied, it helped me to get started. I removed the cover and got to the fan. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. About 8 screws on the cover and 4 holding the condenser grill. Turned it over and found the squirrel cage which was hanging too low. When I pushed on it, it moved back up. It was being held on by a clamp which did not hold the fan to the rod and it would not tighten any more. One trip to Autozone and $3 I bought a new clamp replaced the squirrel cage, tightened it down and everything working like new. Much quiter It should also be noted that it looked like someone else had done some work before and apparently did not use the right clamp. My wife also reminded me that the man we purchased the motorhome from had recently taken it to Camping World for issues with that same unit. We had already discovered an issue with the interior portion of the unit and fixed that myself.
Victory!

(Don't know about the gasket, don't think my Coleman has one between top cover and unit.)