RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 06:02 AM   #1

AC Problems

I am trying to figure out my A/C issues with my 02 Discovery. Can't make the A/C icon button light up but can charge the compressor with 12 volts and make it work... I need a little guidance... Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks Jerry

Jerry Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 06:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Moore View Post
I am trying to figure out my A/C issues with my 02 Discovery. Can't make the A/C icon button light up but can charge the compressor with 12 volts and make it work... I need a little guidance... Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks Jerry

Old 04-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I gather you are talking the dash a/c rather than the house a/c, right? It's probably a Evans Tempcon system in a 2002, so maybe search for general help on that.

Have you attempted to add refrigerent? The compressor won't engage if the refrigerent is way low.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #4

Your dash HVAC is from Denso.
Go to downloads in the below link for a wiring diagram.

HVAC Systems | DENSO Heavy Duty
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #5

If there is no refrigerant in the lines then the compressor wont turn on. You might try charging the system as much as you can with AC off. There is a pressure switch that needs to activate to turn on compressor. Or look for the pressure switch and jump wires together with AC turned on, If compressor turns on then there is not enough pressure in system to activate compressor. Hope this makes sense.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

Should be a low pressure cut out switch in the line you can jump that plug and see if it will cut on. If so there is your problem low on Freon.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

Is there any diagrams as to where to add the Freon I have a 02 georgetowne and ac worked in the fall but does not work now
Wally61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

A/C problems

I have tried numerous things, I am thinking it is with the 12V power supply, probably an inline fuse... I was hoping to not have to pull the dash out to fix it but I am thinking the dash will have to come out... Any pointers will be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
Jerry Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Dash air

DENSOWIR(1).PDF

This wiring diagram is for a 1998 Fleetwood Discovery.
I replaced the fan, a/c compressor and the pressure switch located under the dash.

Hope this dash air wiring diagram helps
Caj00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #10

Our 03 model Expedition (2002 Freightliner XC Chassis) engine driven compressor clutch progressively failed, kept eating AC drive belts and throwing them through the HUGE fan. Luckily nothing serious was damaged, but we decided to change the compressor. An exact duplicate model was ordered from a bus parts supply provider in Orlando, along with a new drier/filter. We drained the oil from both units before installing them.

Getting the lines free from the old compressor manifold proved to be quite challenging, ended with us needing to replace the Freon Line ferrules. Replaced them.

We blew out the lines with denatured alcohol, using a white bucket to capture the contents for examination. When the lines were clear we hooked up the vacuum system and sucked dry air through the lines overnight. The next day we filled the AC system with 10 oz of oil and cycled that through using the vacuum pump and hand rotating the new compressor.

We sealed the system and drew a 11" vacuum on it. Let it sit overnight.

The next day it was still indicating 11". so we prefilled a Freon charge on the system with a new 30lb Freon canister. It showed 52 psi, so we let that sit overnight.

The next morning it was indicating 50 psi, a drop due to the temperature drop overnight.

We started the engine. All of the dash lights and switches work as advertised. The blower fan works as advertised. But the compressor will not engage.

At this point we had ran out of time, so I decided to take it to our local RV repair center.

The initial quote was 3.8 hours of diagnostic labor @ $145/hr. I thought this was kinda steep, but the manager said that was just an estimate but I needed to give authorization or they wouldn't be able to work on it at all. I agreed to the 3.8 hours.

Four days later I called and inquired about the repair and was informed that I needed to authorize 3 more hours of labor and that the system might require the removal of the dash to spark chase the lack of power going to the AC compressor in the rear. I authorized the additional 3 hours.

This past Monday I called to inquire about the repair, and was informed that the repair might take as much as $8,000 in parts and labor but they were still working on the estimate. The shop manager said he might have to replace the lines if the ferrules we installed are leaky. He stated that they don't install new ferrules, they just replace the entire line. He said the lines cost between $350-700 (approximately) and it would take them 9 more hours of labor to replace the lines. He would know more Wednesday after he got pricing on a new set of lines.

Wednesday (two days ago) I called to inquire about the repair. I was informed by the shop foreman that the lines cost $3,000 and they would need a total of 39 hours of labor to repair my dash AC. I asked about the other parts and their costs and they said the entire job would be about $11,000.

I couldn't believe it, but they actually sent me an estimate for $10,548 to repair the dash AC.

I informed them to CEASE ALL WORK!

ret60sp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems