Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Added insulation for Storm, Flair and Terra crossover's

Noticed that my new Storm is a little weak in the insulation department, mainly in the front and over the engine area.
Wondered what others have done to make their coaches a little warmer in the colder months (other than driving south)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
TIM,
Last year, after moving my vacu-flush vac generator to a cargo bay for better access,I insulated the entire cargo hold area with eco-fiber 1/2" thk carpet padding,same material that is used under all auto carpets.I bought it from rugpad.com. I put pc's across each bay and down into cargo holds. I also lined all cargo holds,sides and bottom with it, used 3-m spray glue to hold in place.Bottom pc's in cargo holds I loose laid , in case they got wet or dirty .Much warmer,quieter ride,cargo rides better in cargo holds,stays in place better.I did not use this material in wet bay or vac gen bay,instead in those 2 areas I used 1/2 thk rubber,puzzle type exersize mats, bought at lowes,they clean up better in case of spill.About a month later I decided to insulate the bottom of the floor(ceiling of cargo holds),I measured each bay width and leanth,had them cut pieces to my size,much less work for me,just install with lots of spray glue,and clean push broom to press into place.Took the coach to a whole new level in the quiet ride department,floors are warmer,I then had to reduce the flow of heat going down into the basement,(got way too hot down there),split the duct and sent 1/2 into interior of coach,much better.Total time to do complete basement about 15 hours, took my time, it was well worth it.I also tore out cab rug,installed dyna-mat then same padding then new carpet , much,much better.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The Rugpad.com site is under construction. I will check back with them later. I just finished a conversation with one of my insulation sub contractors. We discussed some different options. If I take him up on one if them I will post the results here as well. Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tim,
I apologize, the correct place for the pad is carpetpadusa. The type is now called eco-plush ,I forgot to mention that they will send you a sample for review before you purchase. This pad is a byproduct of the carpet manufactures leftover pc's blended into a tough pad.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 11-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

Read this blog entry of the Gone with the Winds relating their issues with the 2016 Bounder now own. The link tells of a sound kit by Fleetwood and other ways to cut down on the engine noise and heat in the cab area.

Our Gas RV - Reducing Squeaks, Rattles & Engine Noise
Old 11-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015terra View Post
Read this blog entry of the Gone with the Winds relating their issues with the 2016 Bounder now own. The link tells of a sound kit by Fleetwood and other ways to cut down on the engine noise and heat in the cab area.

Our Gas RV - Reducing Squeaks, Rattles & Engine Noise
Fleetwood recommends using lizard-skin sound dampener, it is a spray on product,similar to what they already spray on the underside of all their coaches, it is the least labor intensive,and has the least amount of results of all the products out there.Other sound dampening like dyna-mat is what is used by almost all auto restoration shops for custom cars etc.Jay leno's garage video's on u-tube show how dyna-mat material is used on some of his cars like the 1962 daimler they restored.Very labor intensive product but achieves maxium results in reducing sound and vibration. There is also a fireproof insulation which also has extremely good sound dampening capabilities,sold at lowes and home depot, the brand name escapes me at this time,does not burn.Someone on this forum used it under their dash and doghouse,with good results.This insulation might also be what fleetwood is using under the dash,It's about $60 a roll.LEXEL is the brand,just came to me. There was also a post on here,a guy from canada,made a wind wall under the hood of his coach to block cold artic air from blowing thru his firewall cracks and crevices to keep cab warmer, went around radiator,covered all wiring,etc,pretty trick idea,if I remember correctly he used large rubbermaid containers to make the shroud,very flexible,easy to remove.From what I saw,it looked very labor intensive to install.When it is THAT cold I stay home,by the fire,but not our friends to the north,I admire their ability to put up with the winters they normally endure.There is many different things that can be done to reduce noise and insulate,I don't think any 1 thing will do it all,but a series of things will make a big difference,everyone has a level in which will make them happy,just have to find that sweet spot that feels and sounds right.

Oh, I screwed up the site again for the padding it's rugpadusa.com

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The Lizzard skin would be easiest to install but doesn't it require a special spry gun to install it? the dynamat is good for sound but does not mention any thermal properties.

The Lexel looks like a good choice but I am not sure what glue to use to install it.

Spoke with one of my insulation sub contractors and he recommended some 1" fiberglass with an all service jacket (ASJ) recommended using stick on insulation pins and some liquid nail. He thought Armaflex would be better but cautioned against the adhesive and the vapors it gives off. Also said that the adhesive used is not very forgiving of mistakes. Once adhesive is applied to both surfaces there is no re-positioning. If it isn't right the first time it can get pretty messy.

I wonder if my local RV Mx shop does insulation installs.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tim,
Yes the lizard skin requires a spray gun,the dyna-mat I used stuck to entire floor and firewall in cab for sound then I put the 1/2 eco-plush carpet pad on top of dyna-mat for thermal and sound.I used spray glue to secure pad to everything, Then I put a higher quality carpet over top of both.As far as trying to insulate without removing carpet and seats,I am unsure what is a worthwhile method to try.I just did mine in the same fashion as I did with hot-rods and antique cars over the years.I have been toying with the idea of building a different doghouse cover using something stronger,with more insulation built into it.I will have to see how the winter goes,if I get bored..........

Have a good thanksgiving everyone

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 11-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
My first area of attention will be the engine compartment under the fiberglass dash. That area is exposed to road wind noise and temperatures. A spray on product would expect easiest but most of those are not flame resistant.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
My first area of attention will be the engine compartment under the fiberglass dash. That area is exposed to road wind noise and temperatures. A spray on product would expect easiest but most of those are not flame resistant.
Tim,
I don't know exactly where my head is as of late,but I also screwed up the name of that fireproof insulation that lowes sells.... the correct name is Roxul.
check on u-tube there is some interesting video's about the stuff. Seems like it could be put across under dash,maybe held into place with wire or ? ,maybe strapping that is used for plumbing???. I am going to look under the hood more closely to see how feasible it might be.The roxul might just be the right product, might have to iron out a good installation method.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 11-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I also checked the coach today. Would need to remove the 4 defrost vents which would be easy enough but the wiper motor might still be in the way. Once those are out of the way it is pretty accessible. Let me know what you think after looking at yours.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:26 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tim,
I finally got back to looking at the underside of dash after being side tracked by my a-pillar repair,which by the way could also be drafty.The more I looked under the dash the more I think the armaflex is a great idea.As far as the smell from the glue, on a nice day,I think a 20" window fan on the ground blowing thru the grille area would ventilate the space enough .I am not sure about yours, but on my unit I can crawl under front,then stand up in the space behind the grille,it's tight,but doable,depending on your size.I'm thinking 3-m spray glue to hold in place,armaflex could be installed in small manageable pieces to under side of dash.I also think a work table,set up in front of coach,with hood open,would help to put materials on while working in that space,(Not easy crawling in and out).This would not only insulate,but be excellent sound dampening, I have now officially added this project to my to do list for early spring,after the cover comes off.I am not too overly concerned about the cold factor, mostly for me,the sound dampening of road and wind noise could be well worth the time and effort.

PS I'm thinking maybe removing the hood might also make movement easier...

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 12-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I was also looking at removing the hood section where the hinge attaches to the coach frame. I doubt my physique would allow me to fit in the space you describe. Just Sayin!!!!

The other thing my insulator friend cautioned me about with the armaflex is that you apply the cement to the armaflex and the surface you are attaching to (much like how you mount Formica) and that once it is positioned it is positioned. There is no removing and re-positioning. Would be one of those cut to fit and check twice before gluing.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree,when I put the padding in the cargo area,it was the same deal,make sure its in the right spot or else. The other thought I had was maybe a temp table,the same height as the top of grille with hood off,might be comfy to lay on back to do under dash...... Just wondering what thickness of armaflex would be best,haven't made up my mind yet.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K