Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Adding a Exterior 110vac plug

My Pace Arrow does not have any exterior 110vac receptacles and I'd like to
add one. I've checked with Fleetwood, but they wanted $104.00 (ouch).

My question -Where to find a good off the shelf quality receptacle, the ones
at the local Home store are pretty cheap in quality and looks.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Dixster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #2

Lowes or homedepot have good gfi receptacles and weather proof boxes as good or better than what comes with rv's.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster
Lowes or homedepot have good gfi receptacles and weather proof boxes as good or better than what comes with rv's.
X2. Assuming a full exterior mount. I would use a plastic household box behind a cabinette for proper depth clearance. If not using an existing GFI circuit, get a GFI outlet, pretty much a no-brainer.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
My Bounder came with one in the back under the ladder in a locked small panel. I did add another one for my compressor but I put it in a storage bay and I did use a outdoor weather proof box with flip up receptacle covers... can't be to careful.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The big box home improvement stores all have a selection of GFIC plugs and weather tight covers. Or Amazon.

Amazon.com: Leviton 4986-GY 1-Gang Duplex Device Wallplate Cover, Oversize, Weather-Resistant, Thermoplastic, Device Mount, Horizontal, Gray: Home Improvement

Pick up a GFIC duplex plug to use with the weather resistant cover. The covers are available in metal as well. Use a rattle can of paint to match your exterior color if you desire.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you think the ones at the hardware look cheap, Try the ones they put in RV's.

Get a good outlet, Most hardwares carry a range, Lowes, Home Depot and Mennards are among the ones I know for a fact carry a range,

Make sure you get a weather cover and seal and a box to install it,

But compared to what's in my RV, which is the standard RV outlet.. The cheap hardware store jobs are quite good.

OH, one more thing...... Code requires said outlet be protected by a GFCI, so you can either install a GFCI (Yes they make weather covers for those too) or,,, Put it on the GFCI Loop, Or install a 2nd additional outlet inside, and make it a GFCI, or use a GFCI circuit breaker to feed it. Your choice.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
My Bounder came with one in the back under the ladder in a locked small panel. I did add another one for my compressor but I put it in a storage bay and I did use a outdoor weather proof box with flip up receptacle covers... can't be to careful.

Definitely the smart way to go, simple, safe, leak free, and if you do an ugly job nobody will see it. Should be able to close the door seal on a extension cord if need be.
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #8

Leviton is a good quality brand and available at HD and Lowe's from economy to heavy duty.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #9

My 1997 Fleetwood has standard home 120V outlets in 5 of the 10 basement boxes. It looks like they were added aftermarket due to the garden hose used as conduit to run the 12/2 wire box to box. That kind of bugged me for a while, since the rest of the RV appears quite well done for my purposes.
I got over that "annoyed" feeling when I needed to run an additional leg to a 6th basement box. That garden hose trick can't be bragged about, but it does work. LOL
MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My brand new-to-me 2000 Storm has a covered outlet in the top panel of one of my storage bays. It's in the front corner...kind of hard to find. Looks like factory installed. Maybe you have one somewhere that you have not yet found.
RoadHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #11

I had a half filled electrical box in my generator compartment and added one there. There was already two on the passenger's side, but none on the driver's side.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote