Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

AGM batteries, Magnum inverter/ charger ms2000

My 2008 Revolution has Lifeline AGM batteries in it that are shot. I'm going to replace them with Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery (Group Size 31) from Sam's club. Any though's ? pro or con. Has any one had any experience with Duracell?

Thanks Gator, Reno NV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Nothing wrong with Duracell. Lifelines are considered the gold
standard of batteries, expected 10 year life. Most other AGM's
are expected to be 6+ year life expectancy. So it depends on
your long term view. Lifelines cost more, but last longer.
You likely have to change the charge profile on the inverter
if you do go with different AGM batteries. Lifelines have
their own exclusive charge profile, different than all other
AGM batteries.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #3

I have had and like LifeLine but they were on back order when I needed new batteries so I ended up with Full River and they have been fine, but only 3 years old so no real test.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #4

I think your taking a step backwards using Marine Starting/Deep Cycle batteries. They are a dual purpose battery and not specific built for deep cycling.

They will give you the capacity but not the life of true Deep Cycle batteries.

If your changing in even numbers, 2 or 4, you will get better service from the Sams Club, AGM GC2 6 volt batteries.

You take 2 and jumper a + to - and create a 12 volt battery with a bit more capacity and twice the deep cycles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2018-01-18-01-11-25.png
Views:	50
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	189165  
Old 01-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
...I think your taking a step backwards using Marine Starting/Deep Cycle batteries. They are a dual purpose battery and not specific built for deep cycling...
I have been cautioned in the past about using these batteries....so I didn't.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If it is indeed a hybrid type "marine/RV deep cycle" derived from a starting battery, that would give me pause, but it's not clear one way or the other.

The price will be attractive but the life cycle may be shorter than a true deep cycle. Although as an AGM , it should still last better than a flooded cell marine/RV type.

I'm guessing cost is the main reason for not choosing Lifelines (or Trojans) for the replacements, but have you looked at other major deep cycle brands? Heck, you can even get them through Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vma.../dp/B00ACNO2AO

Or buy direct from Renology:
https://www.renogy.com/renogy-deep-c...12-volt-100ah/
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #7

I agree w GC2 being a much better choice that Dual Purpose if you are replacing house batty bank.

What was the rationale against GCs???
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The typical flooded cell "Marine/RV Deep Cycle' is a slightly enhanced car starting battery whose base claim to fame is a relatively low price. But the Duracells here are AGMs, not flooded cell, and maybe (probably?) not just a hyped up starting battery (although several vehicles now use AGM starters). Maybe not in the same class as a Lifeline or Trojan AGM 12v, but maybe a decent value for the price. However, I don't have any personal experience to report on this brand. I've used the Duracell starting battery with OK results, but not their AGM.

There is no particular advantage in using the GC2 size vs another AGM. GC2 golf car batteries are good deep cycles, but so are other purpose-made deep cycles. Gatorv probably wants to stay with 12v to avoid re-cabling for 6v GC2's. Granted that's not a big deal, but why do it when there are decent AGM 12v deep cycles available?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #9

From what I read, It looks like no one has used these Duracell 12v AGM batteries. So I think I'm going with the 6 volt Golf cart batteries I've always used. They are not AGM, but I can't afford $300.00 each. So I will rewire the coach for 6v non AGM. They have never failed me. Thanks for all the info. Gator
Old 01-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing wrong with using 6v flooded cell deep cycles, as long as you keep the terminals clean and top up the water in the cells occasionally. The advantage of AGM over flooded cell is essentially zero maintenance.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #11

Just fyi. The 6 volt AGM duracell battery at sam's club is not available any more. That would be my first choice.

Tags
batteries, charger, inverter