Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
AGS Operation on my 2006 Tradition

Looking for help to setup my automatic generator start on my unit. I’ve had my coach for several years but have never used the AGS system. Can someone point me in the right direction to get started? I boondock a few times a year but have just been starting the generator when I need to charge up the batteries. Fully manual operate even though my coach has a factory installed AGS system. No manuals though. Any easy steps to follow or do I just need to order the manual. Note that I really want to be able to have then generator come on for an hour whenever I get down to about 10 volts on the house batteries. Thanks for all comments!
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Better setup on at about 12v
n5979u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5979u View Post
Better setup on at about 12v

Once I figure out how to do it, the actual start point will bee determined. Anything special about 12 as opposed to 10?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Too low a voltage and the generator won't start if it's using the house battery (likely). Too high a voltage and you will get nuesence starting. Even if it dies start at 19 volts that's way too low a SOC to allow the batteries to get to - it will negativity impact the longevity of the batteries. Better is usually somewhere at or just below 12 volts. Some experiments may be needed to get the best voltage.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

12.0 volts is about 50% charge on a 12v battery, which actually is 12.6v at 100% charge. 50% is about as low as you want to go to avoid long term battery damage. However, that 12.0v is measured at rest (no load), and there will always be some amp load on the battery while the AGS monitors it, so somewhere around 11.6-11.8 is about right. However, not all AGS controllers give you a choice of voltage - some are factory preset.

You may have AGS as part of your Magnum inverter panel, plus another separate AGS-only panel. If so, use the separate one.

Details vary with the type of AGS controls you have available. You will probably set up a "quiet time" when the genset is never allowed to start (campground rules). You may be able to select a voltage that it kicks on, or that may be fixed. You may also have the choice of letting the genset start if the a/c thermostat demands cooling.

Some AGS let you choose a minumum and/or maximum run time, while others preset that.

So yeah, you need the manual for the AGS. It is almost surely available online for easy download if you don't have it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
12.0 volts is about 50% charge on a 12v battery, which actually is 12.6v at 100% charge. 50% is about as low as you want to go to avoid long term battery damage. However, that 12.0v is measured at rest (no load), and there will always be some amp load on the battery while the AGS monitors it, so somewhere around 11.6-11.8 is about right. However, not all AGS controllers give you a choice of voltage - some are factory preset.

You may have AGS as part of your Magnum inverter panel, plus another separate AGS-only panel. If so, use the separate one.

Details vary with the type of AGS controls you have available. You will probably set up a "quiet time" when the genset is never allowed to start (campground rules). You may be able to select a voltage that it kicks on, or that may be fixed. You may also have the choice of letting the genset start if the a/c thermostat demands cooling.

Some AGS let you choose a minumum and/or maximum run time, while others preset that.

So yeah, you need the manual for the AGS. It is almost surely available online for easy download if you don't have it.

Gary and others,
Thanks for all the feedback. You are right in that I have an AGS panel which appears to allow me to set the time and then determine when I want the gen to come on. The Magnum inverter panel also has some settings for AGS. I think this has been one of the reasons I’ve never set it up. (Besides not ever really needing it as there has always been a manual work around of some sort)

Anyone know why there are 2 systems and which one is best to use?

Thanks again!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
...So yeah, you need the manual for the AGS. It is almost surely available online for easy download if you don't have it...
Good advice...Onan or the Rev Tech line can help...unless the manual is buried in the wheel barrow full of manuals that came with the coach.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have AGS on your Magnum inverter panel, that will override the independant AGS box! Everything will be set from your inverter panel.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #9

Hello. I have a 06 Tradition also. The factory did not utilize the magnum ags system but instead added a standalone ags made by xantrex. By the way, the magnum ags system will not work unless an additional ags module was installed.

Which system do you have? In either case they are both pretty easy to figure out.

I just used my ags while out in the desert. I am able to set the thermostat at whatever temp I want and the gen will kick on to provide ac while we are gone.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCrash450 View Post
Hello. I have a 06 Tradition also. The factory did not utilize the magnum ags system but instead added a standalone ags made by xantrex. By the way, the magnum ags system will not work unless an additional ags module was installed.

Which system do you have? In either case they are both pretty easy to figure out.

I just used my ags while out in the desert. I am able to set the thermostat at whatever temp I want and the gen will kick on to provide ac while we are gone.

Jaycrash,
I have the Xantrex system as well as the Magnum. That has always been my confusion and the reason why I’ve avoided using them. Sounds like you are using the Magnum since it appears to have more options than the xantrex. Should I just get the Magnum manual and go from there? BTW, what model Tradition do you have? Any issues with coach. Thanks
Old 11-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
Jaycrash,
I have the Xantrex system as well as the Magnum. That has always been my confusion and the reason why I’ve avoided using them. Sounds like you are using the Magnum since it appears to have more options than the xantrex. Should I just get the Magnum manual and go from there? BTW, what model Tradition do you have? Any issues with coach. Thanks
Use the xantrex system then. You will find American Coach did not equip your coach with the appropriate module needed in order to use the magnum ags system. When I was trying to figure out my ags, I originally was trying to use the magnum ags, it will not work. The xantrex system works very well and once you figure it out and is not difficult to use.

First, set the proper time on the system. You use the “select time” button to do that. You will note that you only set the hours. Get it closest to the nearest hour (paying attention to am/pm).
Set the time zone using the furthest most right button.
You will note that the lighted indicators just rotate through and you stop at the setting you desire.

Then turn on the system using the far left button. If you set the system to auto, the gen start will be on and potentially start the gen at anytime of the day. If you set the system to “quite time” then the gen will not start at times you select. You select quite times using the select button. Since I only tend to use the ags when we are boondocking, and we are way by ourselves, I don’t bother using the quite time modes.

There are two ways the ags will start the generator. Either by voltage or temperature. The voltage is already preset and will kick the gen on if the voltage drops below I believe 11.6 or 11.8 volts. That is the only thing I don’t like about the xantrex, I would like my gen to start before my batteries get that low.

The other way to gen fires up is based upon thermostat setting. To use this feature you simply make sure the temperature is set at your desired setting on the thermostat. The gen will fire up to turn the ac on when the temp is above the thermostat setting.

To test the system, set your thermostat at a low termperature, enough so the ac would want to fire up. Turn your gen off. Turn on the xantrex system. It should turn your gen on in about 1-2 minutes.

You can download the xantrex manual online also. Read it, it will help.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
Jaycrash,
We have the 40L. It is pretty loaded with the options offered at the time. The coach has been absolutely fantastic! We had the dreaded norcold 1200 cooling unit leak ammonia. That’s not Americans fault, just a horrible fridge maker. I did have the cooking unit replaced with the Amish setup and that has been a great upgrade. It works like a real fridge now. I wanted to keep the norcold bc we spend a lot of time during the winter out in the desert.

We pull a 10k lbs race trailer and I cannot feel it back there. Overall I couldn’t be happier with the quality, features, drive ability, ride, and space this coach offers. Cannot go wrong with a high quality American!
Old 11-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #13

By the way, let me know how your ags journey goes.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

As Jay says, if you have the Xantrex AGS panel as well as the Magnum inverter panel, use the Xantrex for the AGS. The Magnum is NOT hooked up for auto gens tart, so setting AGS parameters there does no good.

Get the Xantrex AGS manual and follow its instructions. You probably have this version of the AGS panel:
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Acc...190-01-01).pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote