Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #1

Air Bags

have a 2003 fleetwood expedition 32 ft. air bags seem pretty weak, lots of side to side movement going over speed bumps and such. read of a product to stiffen up the bags but forget what is was, any ideas out there. thanks for any help
vankam41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
could you be thinking of the cheap handling fix (chf)? it makes the sway bars work harder to control all sway.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #3

CHF is a Ford F53 sway bar adjustments.

You have a diesel pusher with air ride suspension.

I have never heard of firming up air bag suspension.

If you add air, the ride height changes and can damage the drive line.

You could have the ride height control valves checked for proper operation. They should temporarily add air to the low side when leaning and reliese some when level again.

Your shocks may be shot. They can help slow the lean and may give the air ride valves some time to adjust.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #4

air bags

thanks for the quick replies, but as i remember it was some kind of proportioning valve that slowed the collapse of the bags when hitting a bump, if thats possible, dunno:
Old 09-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #5

Van, I have been there and done it on my 2003 Discovery 39 same chassis just a little longer. When it comes to sway control start by looking at the four bushings on the front axle sway bar. Mine were rotten. Easy to change out yourself with new nylon ones. Immediate significant improvement for little cost. Next consider shock upgrade. My originals were toast at 30000 miles. Installed Koni FSDs all around resulting in another significant improvement in both sway control but ride quality as well. Last set of tires I installed the largest that would fit 275s up two from the spec 255s. Running pressure are now around 95psi down from 110 psi. Ride and steering much improved. I installed the Steer Safe steering stabilizer on the front axle. The best bang for the buck in steering control. I just replaced all airbags due to leaks and installed the Supersteer air control valves. The new bags do not make any difference but the control valves seem to help.
Hope this helps.
Bob
islandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:00 AM   #6

air bags

thanks islandbob, great info. you,ve gven me some things to work on
Old 09-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #7

You are welcome Van. The Disco has gone from being difficult to keep in the traffic lane to a one handed easy drive even when busses pass.
Good luck!
Bob
Old 09-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vankam41 View Post
thanks for the quick replies, but as i remember it was some kind of proportioning valve that slowed the collapse of the bags when hitting a bump, if thats possible, dunno:
Source Engineering makes air dampening valves that install on the air lines for the airbags. I think this is what you are asking. There may be other companies that make these too.

I will say my movement got better when I changed the shocks.

Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
Old 09-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #9

air bags

according to my r.v. guy, new shocks air bag stabilizer valve, easy steer control arm around $2500 canadian. he,s going to put in on the hoist next week to check it out. he thinks worst case scenerio is 2500.00.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #10

Van, Koni FSD shocks are $600 for the set. The Steer Safe kit from Demming New Mexico is a cantilever spring set up that controls the play in the front end steering $500. It is easy to self install in about an hour. It really works.
The Supersteer control valves are about $500 for all four. The air lines to the bags on mine were 1/4" for rear and 1/2" for front. Make sure your guy measures yours before ordering! Don`t forget the front stabilizer bushings. It is a cheap fix with big returns.
About a month before we head back to Mex in the coach to get warm
Good luck
Bob

Tags
ags, air