Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

American Coach - what year to look for?

Did American Coach suffer the same demise as many others in the 2008 time frame, with Fleetwood buying the name? Is there a year that marks a difference in quality for them?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

American Coach has always been part of the Fleetwood family.
The founding father of Fleetwood (John Crean) strived to make a quality, user friendly product. But when he retired in about 98, Fleetwood turned into another Corporate America Company. More interested in its profits than customer satisfaction. Up until about 2000 the old American Coaches were really good RVs. Then in about 2008 the quality declined again.

Richard
Old 12-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Did American Coach suffer the same demise as many others in the 2008 time frame, with Fleetwood buying the name? Is there a year that marks a difference in quality for them?
.....We had a 2012 Tradition and IMO ,it was the worst Motor Home out of 7 that we ever owned......we've had 3 Newmars and the major and minor problems with the American probably are 4 to 1 greater than the Newmars
15 years and 185,000 miles on the Newmars to 5 yrs and 75,000 miles on the American......plus 3 friends have Americans and the 2011 Eagle is almost rebuilt as was the Tradition....
I have had 1 American ...And Never Another.....MHO,now...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

Quote:

To answer your question yes the bellied up as most did and got bought up like some did. My revolution is a 2007 I bought new in 2008 which was built on the same line with the American coach units. I believe 2008 was the last year before the buy out.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
To answer your question yes the bellied up as most did and got bought up like some did. My revolution is a 2007 I bought new in 2008 which was built on the same line with the American coach units. I believe 2008 was the last year before the buy out.

So - Pre 2008 = better built coach?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Can not confirm or deny .....but...

I bought a 2004 because I liked the fit and finish and the fact that, for a 14 year old MH, it still looked and performed like new.

I have since looked at 3-4 post 2010 units and, frankly, I was not impressed and would not have bought.

So, IMHO, yes, the older units are much better made in both the material and the craftsmanship.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:

I would say better than the few years after bankrupted.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Older = Better Quality (?) is a perennial debate. I had a 2004 American Tradition and that was a year of a major design change affecting chassis and well as coach body. It was superior to its older brethren in many ways, but also had some shortcomings of its own, especially as new design. Back then, the owners of earlier coaches all lamented the changes, but new buyers were mostly favorable.

Fleetwood/American came on hard times along with everybody else in 2008 and then the new owners flailed around some. I do think I see signs of corporate greed in the newer products, but maybe I'm now one of those old-timers who just doesn't like the changes? Hard for me to judge. I do feel that the present owners of Fleetwood/American Coach/Monaco/HR are much more willing to sacrifice customer satisfaction to their bottom-line.

I think, though, that buying a mature and well-proven design is more likely to bring pleasing results than gambling on the latest & greatest. Every time a design goes through a major change, there are teething problems, especially in RVs where design changes routinely get tested in the field on the backs of new owners. If you buy one a few years old, the bugs have been found and in many cases fixed, or at least the workarounds are known.

If I was buying a new high end coach today, I'd take a long look at a Newmar or Entegra.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #9

Our 98 Eagle is more vintage than what you are looking for, but I was attracted to the following features of what was the flagship of the American Coach line in 1998:

-Spartan Chassis

-Mechanical C8.3 325 HP Turbo-charged Engine w/side radiator

-Generator on a slide

-Fit and finish of the coach from outside to inside (especially the woodwork)

-Large tankage (150 gallon fuel, 100 gallon freshwater, 60 grey, 40 black)

-Independent Front Suspension (fun to drive!)

-Panto-graph cargo doors (a la Prevost or Tour Buses)

-Sliding cargo trays

-> 4000 lbs of Net Cargo Carrying Capacity

- Extremely well laid out and well made electrical systems

-Single slide for simplicity

-Sold for 35% of the MRSP when new

10 years and 53K miles later we have a DP that performs flawlessly.

There are several members on this board that have 97-2000 Eagles and Dreams that have had mostly positive ownership experiences.

The 98's were the first with Independent Front Suspensions, 99's were the first with the electronic ISC engines.

I am not advocating for these specific coaches, but I strongly advocate for an older DP that was either the flagship or close to the flagship for a quality manufacturer.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Our 98 Eagle is more vintage than what you are looking for, but I was attracted to the following features of what was the flagship of the American Coach line in 1998:

-Spartan Chassis
-Generator on a slide
-Sliding cargo trays

There are several members on this board that have 97-2000 Eagles and Dreams that have had mostly positive ownership experiences.

The 98's were the first with Independent Front Suspensions, 99's were the first with the electronic ISC engines.

I am not advocating for these specific coaches, but I strongly advocate for an older DP that was either the flagship or close to the flagship for a quality manufacturer.
I have a 98 Tradition and ditto on the above post. Solidly built and still looks great for her age. I love my coach.
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:20 AM   #11

We have a 2011 American Eagle that only had one warranty issue with the first owner. The rear shower drain wasn't tight enough.

It does seem this page is slanted heavily towards Newmar so take some comments with a grain of salt. I looked at an Essex and London Aire before the American Eagle. The floorplan was better in the AE but when sealed the deal was the better fit and finish, ride quality and overall sturdy feel of the American Coach.

Also Fleetwood did go into receivership but that doesn't automatically equate to a drop off in quality. Especially when an investment firm buys them out. Yes they want a return on investment but typically the steps are infusion of cash, streamlining and cultural changes.

Our 2011 is well built all wood cherry cabinets and wood work. By all wood I mean everything boxes drawers etc. On some you will see area's that the mfg. will use a press board that isnt the case with our 2011. I was replacing a bulb in the kitchen and found the bottom of the kitchen cabinets to be 3/4" plywood. The inside walls on many motorhomes are a thin wood composite, the inner walls on our 2011 are a 3/4 plywood no pressboard.

If you google American Coach liberty chassis you will find photos and videos on the chassis. Its custom built with standard front and rear components. AC has had the tank in the center long before most others did. The structure is I beam and fully powder coated.

My recommendation is to set a budget and look within that budget for one that has a floor plan that you like. If it has an ISX confirm if the head has been updated after 2015 ish. If not knock 25k off the price if they haven't. You will want the updated head due to a valve issue.

Best of luck.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post

-Spartan Chassis

-Generator on a slide

-Sliding cargo trays

Coaches like yours are what made us look into American Coach. We would see one that we knew to be 15+ years old and while the design looked its age (not always a bad thing) everything else didn't show much age.

They were still trucking down the road and that's what we wanted.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:22 AM   #13

One tid bit of info is 2006 is the last year for no DPF for emissions. Our 06 Traditions still looks almost new 2 owner garage kept on any coach with double pane windows expect fogging and repair or replacement. Thats our biggest expense and all manufacturers have same problem.
Ours had 12500 miles when we got it in 2014 it is a Spartan chassis with 400 Cat. Shop hard and be happy. Older coaches benefit from led tv's which can be a job as i learned.
Best advise I can offer set a max$ then consider floor plan for us it was $ then side radiator then garage kept then king bed which narrowed our search. Good luck
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
My 2016 revolution has been great, no issues to date, it rides like a magic carpet.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote