Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
That is a lot of hours for that mileage, look closely for lived in tell tails. I would be suspicious at this point, sure it is not 300 hours
nope - not sure - that's what the guy told me over the phone.on the genset does it have a window showing usage hours?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #30
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
nope - not sure - that's what the guy told me over the phone.on the genset does it have a window showing usage hours?
On mine it is on the dash, on others it right beside the start switch on the generator. Those are hard to see.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #31

It sounds like the refrigerator is a NORCOLD.

There were recalls and band-aid "fixes" for the Norcold refrigerators.
Basically the refrigerator can loose the refrigerant which is flammable and lead to fires.
The fix was a box on a line that turned off the unit if the line got to hot -- caused by refrigerant leak. It really did not FIX anything.

There are two common solutions --

One is go to a residential refer -- usually a Samsung.
That means no ability to use propane as a heat source for the refer, which means more electrical draw, particularly if you might camp without any hookups. -- We do that in Key West each year for a week in the middle of a field with NO hookups at all, and I expect to do it a few times in Alaska next year. It would mean more generator use to do that without propane. Others would argue it gets rid of a danger, since it gets rid of a large user of propane. It seems a lot of new larger RV's are "all electric" since some people are afraid of propane in general.

The other common solution is to replace the cooling coils with some called the "Amish cooling unit." A unit with thicker piping. I did mine a year and a half ago, I believe Glenn did his about a month ago. I really like the result. We both did them ourselves, I think.

I once went to an RV boneyard in Kentucky with several hillsides covered with RV's, and it is scary how many were there from serious fires -- often started near the refrigerator.

In my opinion this is a serious thing you will need to resolve quickly if it should be applicable to the 1999 Eagle.

best of luck -- Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #32
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
It sounds like the refrigerator is a NORCOLD.

There were recalls and band-aid "fixes" for the Norcold refrigerators.
Basically the refrigerator can loose the refrigerant which is flammable and lead to fires.
The fix was a box on a line that turned off the unit if the line got to hot -- caused by refrigerant leak. It really did not FIX anything.

There are two common solutions --

One is go to a residential refer -- usually a Samsung.
That means no ability to use propane as a heat source for the refer, which means more electrical draw, particularly if you might camp without any hookups. -- We do that in Key West each year for a week in the middle of a field with NO hookups at all, and I expect to do it a few times in Alaska next year. It would mean more generator use to do that without propane. Others would argue it gets rid of a danger, since it gets rid of a large user of propane. It seems a lot of new larger RV's are "all electric" since some people are afraid of propane in general.

The other common solution is to replace the cooling coils with some called the "Amish cooling unit." A unit with thicker piping. I did mine a year and a half ago, I believe Glenn did his about a month ago. I really like the result. We both did them ourselves, I think.

I once went to an RV boneyard in Kentucky with several hillsides covered with RV's, and it is scary how many were there from serious fires -- often started near the refrigerator.

In my opinion this is a serious thing you will need to resolve quickly if it should be applicable to the 1999 Eagle.

best of luck -- Dale
Yes sir, did mine as well, JC Refrigeration also known as Amish RV Cooling Unit.

Refrigerator project, all three parts
You may find this helpful, below are links to my coolant unit replacement on the refrigerator in my Motor Home. There are three parts to it as the posts are long
Part 1 of 3 on the refrigerator removal and install
Part 2 of 3 on the refrigerator removal and install
Part 3 of 3 on the refrigerator removal and install

This is their home page picture, note the vehicle on the parking pad. They will install for you and you can stay overnight on their parking pad

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jc.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	140096  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #33

Thanks - I did read/view your replacement Glenn.

Is there a way to know if MY unit needs this or?

Jim

Disregard - dumb question. Need my model # I am sure
Old 09-28-2016, 12:51 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My 1996 Monaco Windsor 38' had 3000 hrs. on the generator when I bought it! The MH had 104,000 miles on it. The generator is a Power Tech, 7K, which has a 3 cyl. diesel Kabota motor! With that said, same generator that a bunch of my trucking buddies have in their big sleeper OTR trucks! Have had many of them rack up 60,000+ hrs. on theirs before they replace them! The Onan's last very well too, it is how well they are maintained and serviced!
So, the hours should not be a problem, but it does tell you the generator has been used, and not just sitting! which is a good thing!

Of the 4 MH's I have owned over the years, 1 had a residential fridge, 1 had the Norcold, ( PITA ), 2 the Dometic, ( no problems ). I could never trust the Norcold, it would blow out on propane, driving or sitting! I installed baffel's, fan's, took to a very good repair shop, fixed by a Amish service man, it still never worked right! Sold the MH, before I replaced it with a residential! The two that had the Dometic, drove all over the country with both, and they both worked great with no problems! The SBS (side by side) that is in the 96 Monaco I have now, works great, on gas, or elect. switches when it needs to, and has never given me a lick of trouble! I do keep it serviced and blow it out, ( the back, outside area ) to keep it free of bug's, wasp nest's, and dirt and dust!

Finding the right MH for you will test you skill and resolve, but just remember, there are so many for sale, and when the right one comes along, you will know it! Not very many used MH's are perfect, some are close! The ones that have been "Loved" by the PO, stand out! Rail!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:15 AM   #35

FWIW, 99 Eagles did not leave the factory with Norcold Reefers.

I would be very surprised if someone replaced the Dometic with a Norcold!

Re: genny hours, mine has over 3000...not a concern!
Old 09-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #36

While I am not very familiar with Dometic -- they have recalls for certain models --- their website gives specifics. I was under the impression they had similar issues in certain models.

==================
DOMERIC WEBSITE

Dometic Recall Information
UPDATE: Dometic Voluntarily Expands Refrigerator Recall Dometic expanded its recall on a population of two-door refrigerators.
  • Original recall included some two-door refrigerators manufactured between April 1997 and May 2003.
  • The expansion of the recall focuses on models manufactured between June 2003 and September 2006.
======================

The NORCOLD / THETFORD website will give specifics once you have the model number.

thx -- Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #37

My 1999 has the original Dometic fridge.....fridge/freezer works flawlessly However I can't get ice-maker to work, there's power and water to it....but I've really not been concerned with it.

Only thing I've done to unit is remove outside access cover and blow out spider webs, dust etc... with compressed air.

Thanks for the recall link.......I'll run my S/N though it and check it out.....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #38

Thanks all

I put off my inspection until tomorrow - asked them to turn on fridge, put water in tank so I can test pump, have city water available, some propane so can test furnace, fuel for a test drive etc...

I am probably scaring them away, but 60k is a lot of money so I intend to put it through its paces.

When you open the slide for the genny is there anything I have to do first (like open the top panel)?

These things are low to the ground. How do you get under them to look at things? I need to get tire codes and they appear to be on sidewalks facing under the rig.

If I like what I see tomorrow I have a FDOT inspector set to come out and do the DOT inspection (safety more than anything). The guy doing it is the one the sheriff calls for fatal truck accidents to get at root cause - so probably a good choice
Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #39

Re: the genny slide-out....do not open the hood, just push the rocker switch. You do not have to extend it fully to check fluids.

Re: getting a view of the undercarriage....fire it up and raise the jacks to lift the front.

You will be able to get a good view of steering and suspension components. Lower the jacks and then let the chassis fully air up....this will give you good visibility on rear axle, driveshaft, air brake components etc.

DO NOT go under the coach yourself unless you have other jacks supporting the chassis for safety's sake.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #40

Thank you - I was pretty sure I don't have the jack stands go hold that monster up.

I have a guy coming out who will check all the steering and brakes. Not sure how to get the tire codes without going under though. Hmmm

May just say tires need to be replaced period and see if the previous owner wants to go half on them

They also had totally dead house batteries 4 6v sealed Golf Cart batteries which have to be replaced.

They seem to be holding charge but my understanding is that there is permanent damage if drained totally.
Jim
Old 09-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #41

I'm not sure of your limitations and Just a suggestion, but perhaps the tech doing the DOT inspection can get the tire codes since he'll be under there.

You should be able to slip under the coach from behind the rear tires.

With the jacks all the way down you should be able turn steering wheel in one direction and see front
suspension components.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #42

That's high for a '99. We were looking twice for a "new" American from Nov - Jun & what we found was a '99 Eagle usually sold around low to mid $50's. 2000 Eagles high $50-low $60's. Spring & Summer, prices & demand went up, Fall & Winter they went down. We bought our 2001 American Dream for $64,000, Eagles will be about $5,000-$7,000 higher. The ones we saw that were priced too high were still for sale months later. Quite a few we looked at are actually still available. Good luck & I hope it works out for you... Americans are amazing coaches, we love ours!
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote