Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
American Eagle 1999

Hi all,

We just finished looking at a Fleetwood American Eagle 1999 with under 38k miles. For the most part, this coach looks brand new in and out (even though the dealership hasn't even cleaned it as it is on consignment to them).

They want 67k for it but would probably go to 60k.

I haven't driven it, batteries on coach were dead, and a long way from buying it but just wondered what you all think? Is 60k way too high for a 99 model. I guess by biggest concern pre any kind of inspections is price and low mileage for the year - he has what appears to be all maintenance records and manuals. First glance says he maintained it well. 40 footer with cummins engine. Spartan chassis, Allison transmission, 31k weight.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Hi all,

We just finished looking at a Fleetwood American Eagle 1999 with under 38k miles. For the most part, this coach looks brand new in and out (even though the dealership hasn't even cleaned it as it is on consignment to them).

They want 67k for it but would probably go to 60k.

I haven't driven it, batteries on coach were dead, and a long way from buying it but just wondered what you all think? Is 60k way too high for a 99 model. I guess by biggest concern pre any kind of inspections is price and low mileage for the year - he has what appears to be all maintenance records and manuals. First glance says he maintained it well. 40 footer with cummins engine. Spartan chassis, Allison transmission, 31k weight.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Jim
The price is a little high, but you have low mileage. Alimentally price is a subjective thing. You will pay more for something you really like. You will not be able to resell it for that price.

The one thing I would really watch out for on a low mileage coach is that it sat on a site and someone lived in it. Although it has low mileage, all the equipment may have a lot of use.

These engines and chassis like to be run.

The dead batteries are an indication of the types of problems you may run into with the vehicle not being used.

With that low of mileage the fluids may be old, fluid replacement is usually done by mileage. If you look at the recommendation in the manuals, there is also general service recommended based on time.

So a full chassis service should be looked at. Grease all the grease fittings and there are a bunch, change all the fluids, oil, hydraulic oil, transmission, coolant, filters oil fuel, coolant, water separator, check tire dates, cracking of air bags.

I have tried to put together a list of things to check.

Speaking generally it will not be the engine / drivetrain that gives you problems with an older coach. It will be all the other stuff (refrigerator, furnaces, A/C, etc)

This question comes up a lot so this is a canned reply I have created, so it may not fit your question exactly.

Do not leave the Dealership until you have been shown how to use the Motor Home, and actually exercised all the equipment..

This should include checking the fluids in your engine, running the Motor Home on shore power, being explained how to dump both the black and gray water tanks, make sure you have a hose to connect to the dump fixture and the dump port in the ground, run the internal 12 volt water pump, have them explain how to hook up to city water, run the furnaces, check the level in the batteries, run the jacks / leveling system, in the driver’s seat go over all the controls (put you hand on each one and operate it) , run the dash A/C, run the ceiling A/C units, make sure you water comes out of the faucets (check that you make hot water), run the micro wave, stove, oven, check all the lights, work the toilet, Shower, review the charging, solar, monitoring system, run the washer dryer.

Drive it for as long as you can, highways, back roads.

The big thing is do NOT let them rush you out, the time to ask questions is before you leave, once you leave getting answers gets much harder.

If you do a good job here you will find faults and get the promise that they will fix the problems in writing.

If you spend an hour you have not done it right, four hours is more like it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #3

I bought a 1999 Eagle last year. At 78k miles, southern coach, from original owner, never used as a full time live in.
I enjoy the coach. I will only be able to use it 5 or 6 times a year, so I could not see spending the $$ for a newer coach. I've put about 5k miles on it. I did pay less than 60k....that would be out of my budget. I've seen some for less for sale by owner.

I have had to make some repairs and upgrades due to age, and I'd have no issues taking it cross country.
Tires
Air suspension air bags
New entry steps
New A/C covers
Service chassis, engine, transmission and gen-set
New flat screen TVs, HD satellite receiver, added basement TV
New in dash radio
New driver power window motor
Plus a lot of little stuff....

My $.02 if your capable of doing most or all repairs, there's nothing to be scared of on a 1999 American Coach.
If not and you have to pay for it all....pass.
I do think you could find one for under 50k. I did and even after spending another 10 k on it still have less than 50 in it......
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #4

My 1999
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474811769415.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	139909  
Old 09-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #5

Good advice given on this thread.

You could do much worse than a 99 Eagle!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #6

Lot of AC owners don't realize the factory support is top notch! ACA is well worth the yearly dues of $45.oo because of factory service team at rallies. I am in our fourth American Coach.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Very good points"

American Coach Service (not part of the America Coach Association (ACA) not fees needed), they are far more helpful that what you find in the general customer support for produces. You will find that they may have to call you back as most of the information for the older coaches is on paper and they have to look it up. Give them a day and if they do not call call them back.

East Coast Technical Center
1420 Patterson St.
Decatur, In 46733
Service Hours:
6 AM – 2:30 PM EST Monday – Friday
800-509-3417

Do not for get the generator service.

Also when you walk up to the parked coach look under it for any drips, leaks.

Your inspection should start as you walk up to the coach, look to see if it is sitting squarely to the ground (suspension has not released the air out of the bags, and that the height adjustments on the air ride is keeping the coach at the right height (front to back and side to side (there are simple adjustments to the height sensors to correct this).

And of course you have this resource, lots of people here to give advice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

Thanks all!

Glenn - wow, I spent the last 2 days reading your repair thread. You are so meticulous! This being our first coach we would not really know to look for all the things you notice are going wrong

The payments on this would be about right for us and we would set aside about 10k per year for repairs and maintenance.

Biggest question - I want to have it inspected by an independent inspector. Anyone know how to find one in Denver? Also would you have the chassis (brakes, air systems and all that inspected and say a cummins shop check the drive train) pre purchase?

That is a lot of money to shell out if we don't buy it but a lot more if we did buy it and didn't get those things done.

Also, this being our first class a I am worried about driving it on a test drive without practice. Would having the RV guys drive it for a while until we got to a save straight road be wise?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #9

Here is what I sent the consignment lot

As I mentioned, I am a 100% Disabled Veteran. We are really looking for a unit that will give us years of use without major repairs because we live on my veteran income. My wife is an RN and we will be travelling from contract job to contract job so her income is nice, but our living style will be a lot of off grid / boondocking in hospital parking lots etc… J Just info on where we are (not selling you a hard luck story by the way – just want the previous owner to understand us and maybe make sure we really know that this would be a good purchase for US – if the PO doesn’t think it would, we would greatly appreciate that information early J).

I am very serious about this unit so please understand my questions are not idle J We would ideally like to purchase in the next month or two and store it for the winter until we can get on the road in May 2017. My son is finishing high school this year.

This would be our first class A but we have used 30+ ft camping trailers behind our truck.

1). Tire Age (Front’s seemed fairly new but rears not so much. What are the codes on the tires? Mileage really isn’t the right factor from what I understand but age and mileage)
2). Batteries are dead. That gives us a lot of concern – though new batteries is not nearly as expensive as new tires - My concern is with why the batteries are dead.
3). Unit is unlevel in your lot. Would need to have it running and verify the air bags level it out and then test out the leveling jacks – but concerned the air bag system may be an issue here.
4). Would previous owner (PO), if we purchase, be willing to spend some time with us going over all the usage quirks with the unit? Show us how to use the systems, where the systems are located, how to use them (that kind of thing)? Show us how to check the fluids, dumping, water, shore power hook ups and that kind of thing?
5. Last service completed and what was done?
6. Number of hours on the generator (I am presuming it is very low due to mileage)
7. All the House items work? Refrigerator, Furnace, AC’s, Water heater etc…?

What type of chassis is this on?
What Motor does it have?
What generator is in it?
What type of water heater (aquahot or ? )
What type of refrigerator is it (I have heard some really bad things about norcold J)

My #1 fear would be fire – if I bought it and the motor blew up I could drag it to my family’s house and get it fixed over time but fire not so much J

I will start looking for an independent inspector and see about Cummins and/or a chassis inspection tomorrow as I have some doctor appointments today.

Thank you in advance and sorry for all the questions. Just want to be sure this rig will be a good purchase for us as it will be our only rig before my medical stuff prevents me from traveling.

Did I miss anything you can think of?
Thanks
Jim
Old 09-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #10
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
As I mentioned, I am a 100% Disabled Veteran. We are really looking for a unit that will give us years of use without major repairs because we live on my veteran income. My wife is an RN and we will be travelling from contract job to contract job so her income is nice, but our living style will be a lot of off grid / boondocking in hospital parking lots etc… J Just info on where we are (not selling you a hard luck story by the way – just want the previous owner to understand us and maybe make sure we really know that this would be a good purchase for US – if the PO doesn’t think it would, we would greatly appreciate that information early J).

I am very serious about this unit so please understand my questions are not idle J We would ideally like to purchase in the next month or two and store it for the winter until we can get on the road in May 2017. My son is finishing high school this year.

This would be our first class A but we have used 30+ ft camping trailers behind our truck.

1). Tire Age (Front’s seemed fairly new but rears not so much. What are the codes on the tires? Mileage really isn’t the right factor from what I understand but age and mileage)
2). Batteries are dead. That gives us a lot of concern – though new batteries is not nearly as expensive as new tires - My concern is with why the batteries are dead.
3). Unit is unlevel in your lot. Would need to have it running and verify the air bags level it out and then test out the leveling jacks – but concerned the air bag system may be an issue here.
4). Would previous owner (PO), if we purchase, be willing to spend some time with us going over all the usage quirks with the unit? Show us how to use the systems, where the systems are located, how to use them (that kind of thing)? Show us how to check the fluids, dumping, water, shore power hook ups and that kind of thing?
5. Last service completed and what was done?
6. Number of hours on the generator (I am presuming it is very low due to mileage)
7. All the House items work? Refrigerator, Furnace, AC’s, Water heater etc…?

What type of chassis is this on?
What Motor does it have?
What generator is in it?
What type of water heater (aquahot or ? )
What type of refrigerator is it (I have heard some really bad things about norcold J)

My #1 fear would be fire – if I bought it and the motor blew up I could drag it to my family’s house and get it fixed over time but fire not so much J

I will start looking for an independent inspector and see about Cummins and/or a chassis inspection tomorrow as I have some doctor appointments today.

Thank you in advance and sorry for all the questions. Just want to be sure this rig will be a good purchase for us as it will be our only rig before my medical stuff prevents me from traveling.

Did I miss anything you can think of?
Thanks
Jim
I'll come back to answer some of your questions, pressed for time right now.

I wanted to pass this on though.

An inspection is only as good as the person doing it.

Most of them are not worth the money the paper cost.

If you can find someone (a friend, or someone on here close to you, that is willing to spend some time with you).

Stumble through you own inspection and make a list of questions on stuff you do not know about. Then have the sales person and if possible a tech from the dealership go out to the coach and go through your questions. You will find out very quickly just how much they do not know either.

If you are going to buy an older coach, an I am all for that, start your education now.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #11

Even though a federal DOT inspection is not required for a RV I would suggest taking the coach to a heavy truck dealer, Peterbilt, Freightliner, Mack International etc...and pay for one. It will include a complete brake and suspension inspection, and they can inspect other drive line components as well....
Old 09-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #12
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Even though a federal DOT inspection is not required for a RV I would suggest taking the coach to a heavy truck dealer, Peterbilt, Freightliner, Mack International etc...and pay for one. It will include a complete brake and suspension inspection, and they can inspect other drive line components as well....
I did not known it did not need an inspection and have been getting the heavy vehicle inspection right along. Learn something new every day.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-26-2016, 04:04 PM   #13

Thanks to all of you - great info

So just call up a major truck shop and ask if they do DOT inspections?

Also - who would I go to for engine/transmission/generator testing for an inspection. I know the first thing to do s have it serviced post purchase but pre purchase - should that be something to do?

Thanks again
Jim
Old 09-26-2016, 05:59 PM   #14

Federal Department of Transportation requires annual inspection on most all commercial vehicles.....I can promise your local heavy truck dealer is doing them. Most use a flat price for the inspection. If there is a Cummins coach dealer in your area they do it as well. ....and can inspect engine/trans/genset