Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Eagle - door "hold-open" mechanism

The "hold-open" mechanism inside the front door of my 2000 AE does not hold the front door open when fully extended. I took the mechanism out and found the plastic roller,two plastic bushings and the hinge bolt (for the cam) in need of replacement. Called FW and the entire assembly is "only" $364 - ouch! I really just need the four internal pieces, but FW would not tell me who the vendor is. Seems like it would be a standard part. Anyone know where I can get the internal pieces, or the whole assembly for a bit cheaper?

On a side note, as soon as the mechanism was out, the door was also much easier to close, lock, and deadbolt!.

Thanks for your help!
H.Huester
H.Huester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

Difficulty Closing Entry Door

I have a 2000 Tradition and the entry door takes a significant amount force for it to fully latch and seal the gasket. If you close it normally it will only catch the striker on the secondary latch, and the door will leak air as you drive. However, my entry door does stay open in the fully extended position.

I am asking because in your post you said the door was a lot easier to close without the rollers in place. Did you have to slam your entry door to get it to fully latch?

Thanks
americo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, I had to slam my door to get it to lock - and do have an air leak as I travel down the road Having said that, it was warm when I took the mechanism out - that may have had something to do with the ease of closing at the time. Reason I say that is that the temps have since dropped, and I find myself slamming the door harder again (though not as hard as before). My thought is, the door seals are 12 years old, and may have grown less elastic - especially as they get colder. Will change them out when the temp goes back up and see what happens. Truth is, I'm not exactly sure there is "one" answer - may be a combination of things!

But I am sure that I need to replace the bushings and roller inside the mechanism (they are ruined) as it does not hold the door open. Fleetwood does have the whole assembly, but wants close to $400...

Over 100 people have looked at the original post and no one has any idea on where to get them?

H.Huester
Old 01-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #4

If it has a part number cast into it, Google the part number. I have had some luck with this. Also try it (PN) on Ebay. There is a RV salvage yard in Kentucky that is parting out a 05 Eagle, I bet it is the same part. It also concerns me that it is woreout. I am on my 4th AC and have never heard of this. Possible that the wind might have over extended it? Let us know what you find out, I'm curious.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #5

FWIW the one in my motorhome (Newmar) is built by PTL engineering 810-664-2310, I think you'll need a part number
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #6

It sounds like something you could have made for far less than $400. Find a little machine shop somewhere, or even someone with a wood lathe could probably turn some nylon bushings to meet your needs.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thought the same thing. I have one good bushing as a sample, but would need the dimensions of the roller to have one made. Might just order an assembly from FW as a sample, and have the nylon pieces turned somewhere.

As to how it got this worn... the pivot bolt for the cam is broken, this allowed the cam to slip alignment/position, wearing on the nylon roller, twisting the latch, and wearing the bushings. Just my theory...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #8

I have a 1998 AE and I was missing a hold door open mechanism.I contacted American Eagle support at American Coach Service <americancoachservice@fleetwoodrv.com>.Give them your VIN and they can give you any info you need.They have the best customer service in the RV industry.I was able to buy a strut for my door for less than $20. at Fleetwood.

I have used them several times and it is amazing how helpful they are.If you need info on your coach they have it.
AE 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We bought an old 1992 American Eagle and I have gotten to know the parts people way to well I think! We knew it needed a lot done but more then we thought. Doesn't matter we still like these old ones. It certainly was quality built but 20 years has taken a toll of some of the added parts.
However, the engine runs good and the generator too, and there is no rust on the bottom of this old beauty it was all undercoated when new.

Those folks are wonderful, go out of their way to find parts for you. Some items are no longer made but many are. I've gotten new skylights, window mechanisms for the front power windows, a chassis coach switch, new channel material for the front windows. my domes on the fantastic fans were old and cracked, Fantastic Fan sent new ones free! Can you imagine that.

Fleetwood was extremely helpful when I had questions about the rubber roof. We ordered Liquid Roof then found the membrane required a primer on that particular one because it was not compatible directly applied. They have some folks there that know about these old coaches. They dug out all the schematics they could find and emailed them to me. We have a pretty much full set of manuals but they are really lacking in the kind of detail we need.

From ebay a new lighted assist bar, a new clothesline for the shower, and new swing arm lamps, from Sears an oven rack. Also ordered a new microwave convention oven hood.

Ebay had new Maxx Air domes for it and all the motorhome items on ebay seem to come from dealers. Also got bug screens for the appliances, way to many wasps were living in those. Hubby got new windshields wipers from NAPA. I ordered bulbs over the net and and from Colaws a power panel. So even for ones this old there are parts out there.

Soon to a diesel truck facility to change all filters, belts, hoses, and change out the fluids. Check the dates on the inside duals and put in steel valve stems I can check the tires with and air up. We hope to get this old beauty on the road soon.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door