RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG View Post
Allow me to clarify. I'm the one who told the salesperson that I had an interest in the Grand Tour. He's the one who suggested that I check out the American Coach top tier model. Do you think he's steering me up the ladder with an AC over a GT?

He probably noticed you are interested in a luxury DP And suggested another option for you to look at....you have agreed you didn't even know American Coach existed before he mentioned it....so I don't fault him for "steering you up the ladder".

New American Coach Eagles have a MSRP of $750,000 -$800,000
New Winnebago Grand Tours have a MSRP of $450,000 - $500,000
New Entegra Cornerstones have a MSRP of $600,00 - $650,000

So, yes, the Eagle is MUCH higher end

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
American Coach Owners Club
We have had two Winnebago coaches, the 2013 34 foot and 2013 40 ft. While there were many things we liked about the units, we had many problems with the Lippert jacks and the Lippert-Swintek slide so decided we could not rely on the coaches. We now have a 2015 American Coach Revolution and are so happy with the coach and the company. One of the main reasons we bought American Coach was the customer service. With all coaches there are issues, and sometimes just questions. American Coach has an e-mail contact for future owners. Before purchasing we sent an e-mail and within 8 hours they answered every question we had. Since purchase the response to any question or issue has been answered within 12-24 hours. We found this was not the case with Winnebago. However you may want to go on Winnie's website and see is there is a way to ask questions about the GT, then go on American Coach and do the same. While the coaches we have are not what you are considering, the companies are, and we have always felt that speaks volumes! Good luck with your decision.

SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, he is steering you upscale. OTOH, anybody interested in that level of price and amenities ought to consider the competitors as well. Entegra models, American Eagle & Dream, Newmar Essex, Tiffin Allegro Bus, and Thor Tuscany. The Tour, Tuscany, and Allegro Bus, Entegra Inspire, and American Dream are about the same price. The Eagle, Essex, and Entegra Cornerstone are in a higher price & amenity class.

I'm not in any way knocking the Tour - it's a lovely coach. I would just want to consider my choices carefully before spending that kind of money.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
For that money, I would be two places really fast.

1) a Foretravel dealer.
2) A Newmar dealer... looking at the Essex and King Aires....
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #19

Lightbulb

Quote:
In terms of the quality of the ride and chassis, would you place the Eagle on the same level of the Entegra Cornerstone?
yes, but this is also a subjective question as many will argue what 'ride' quality means to them.
I don't think you'd go wrong either way, owners on both sides will state their adorations of each, I'm sure...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #20
PBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWTELLE View Post
We have had two Winnebago coaches, the 2013 34 foot and 2013 40 ft. While there were many things we liked about the units, we had many problems with the Lippert jacks and the Lippert-Swintek slide so decided we could not rely on the coaches.
Thanks! I am to understand the new GT's are using a different slide system and have read about the many issues with the Swintek slides.

Quote:
We now have a 2015 American Coach Revolution and are so happy with the coach and the company. One of the main reasons we bought American Coach was the customer service. With all coaches there are issues, and sometimes just questions. American Coach has an e-mail contact for future owners. Before purchasing we sent an e-mail and within 8 hours they answered every question we had.
Thanks Again! I just submitted a contact request and I'll look forward to the response. I'll update this thread after the conversation.

Like you, service is an important feature to me as I don't view camping out at a dealer's lot awaiting service a "recreational" activity. Surely, I'll meet some fine folks, but I think I'll prefer camping at some locations that provide a nicer view than just a parking lot!

I'm to understand there are new factory service locations popping up around the country and there could be one coming to my home state of Florida. Any word on where and when that would open? That would be an important factor in my decision making process.

Quote:
However you may want to go on Winnie's website and see is there is a way to ask questions about the GT, then go on American Coach and do the same. While the coaches we have are not what you are considering, the companies are, and we have always felt that speaks volumes! Good luck with your decision.
I'll be visiting the Winnebago factory in two weeks and yes, I have a bunch of questions!
PBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #21
PBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
He probably noticed you are interested in a luxury DP And suggested another option for you to look at....you have agreed you didn't even know American Coach existed before he mentioned it....so I don't fault him for "steering you up the ladder".

New American Coach Eagles have a MSRP of $750,000 -$800,000
New Winnebago Grand Tours have a MSRP of $450,000 - $500,000
New Entegra Cornerstones have a MSRP of $600,00 - $650,000

So, yes, the Eagle is MUCH higher end
Yes and No. While I was aware of the American Coach lineup, I simply haven't read any reviews of the new models other than the video on the FMCA website and haven't paid too much attention to it. It's now on my radar. However, IMHO that wasn't a review as it was more of a video brochure. I will say that I liked what I saw, but there's nothing like actual user reviews to assist in the decision making process.

Also, the American Coach website leaves a bit to be desired compared to other manufacturers. But, I'll prefer buying a coach from a company that delivers a quality product and knows how to get services taken care of with the minimal amount of headaches over one with a pretty website!

I have driven the 2017 Cornerstone and there's a lot to like. I really like the Adaptive Cruise, Blind Spot Monitoring and the Cab Forward Design. It's fairly easy to handle and the ride is smooth and quiet. However, the styles and floor plans don't suit my tastes. Yes, that's a personal thing. I do like the more contemporary styling of the AC lineup.

One more question: I noticed on the 2017 Eagles, the less "swirly" paint scheme is not pictured. Are they still offering that scheme?
Old 07-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think Winnebago changed both the leveling system and the slide. They may still be Lippert or owned by them, but the leveling keypad is new and I think Power Gear, and all models have had the schwintek replaced with another type.

What I like about Winnebago so far, is I just printed an entire bill of materials for my specific coach, I can find the part number for every part, even the pillows, and I can get wiring schematics, plumbing, chassis, even a 3D exploded view modeling online.

Grand tour has a 55" outside TV !
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
... One more question: I noticed on the 2017 Eagles, the less "swirly" paint scheme is not pictured. Are they still offering that scheme?...
The Eagles have two different paint scheme choices. One is "Traditional" that's the swirly one, the other is "Contemporary" which is less swirls and more swept back lines. Both are on the AC web site.

If you are looking for interaction with owner's, join the AC forum. Folks on there will be glad to answer your questions.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/American_Coach/info
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #24
PBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The Eagles have two different paint scheme choices. One is "Traditional" that's the swirly one, the other is "Contemporary" which is less swirls and more swept back lines. Both are on the AC web site.
Thanks, but when you look at the 2017 Eagle specs, the contemporary paint scheme is not shown. http://americancoach.com/sneakpeek/2017_ae_sp.pdf
Old 07-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
PBG,

I've seen some of the newer Tours with a full wall slide that is no longer Schwintek, however- the opposing smaller, shorter and lighter slides still are. You will be amazed when you visit the factory how many coaches are there for the Schwintek issues. Besides many other good reasons mentioned in this thread- buy an American Coach (or other)...but stay away from anything built by Thor. It doesn't take long finding bad reviews and unhappy customers.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would also agree that in the price ranges you are looking, you should investigate the Newmar luxury coaches....Essex, London Aire, King Aire.

IMO, with today's modern chassis (especially with the tag axle) most any of the larger DP's are going to ride well. Ride has a lot to do with how a coach is loaded and tire pressures. Coaches with better insulation will ride quieter. For example, Entegra uses 2 x 4's in their subfloor and fills the gaps with insulation. That makes for a quiet coach when moving down the road.

Newmar uses Comfort Steer which is touted to make a coach easier to steer and control in cross winds, road crowns, etc.

I think the most notable difference you will notice from the driver's seat would be the difference in giddy up between a large coach with the ISL vs the ISX....the ISX has more torgue and HP and that is a plus in these heavier rigs.

Once you develop your short list of coaches (with the features, floor plan, build quality, etc.) you desire, you need to test drive them and see if you notice enough difference to sway you.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The Grand Tour breaks with long standing Winnie philosophy and has a side radiator. The Eagle has a good bit higher GVWR and a 15k tow rating.
Our tour also has a 15,000 lb tow rating. We are loaded to the gills and are well below the coach GVWR.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

Once you develop your short list of coaches (with the features, floor plan, build quality, etc.) you desire, you need to test drive them and see if you notice enough difference to sway you.
X2 on finding the best floor plan. At the level you are looking there is very little difference in build quality IMO.

When we were looking for coaches we looked at all of the manufacturers. There was differences in the quality but in price as well. It got so we could look at the sticker and predict the interior quality - most of the time. We did notice two coaches from the same manufacturer sitting side by side with substantial differences in quality. Only other difference was the color of the coach.

One major manufacturer coach had a terrible build on one of the coaches we looked at. Trim had already fallen off and one of the drawer faces was hanging. No - it was not a Thor!

Tags
winnebago