RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #15

Hey guys, I have had four American Coach's. A 96 Eagle, two 2003 Dreams, and our 2005 Tradition. You are correct to tilt the coach towards the passenger side, never spill one drop of fuel. I also wrap a rag around the fill nozzle. This has worked on all four.
Now to check your fuel gauge, the first compartment behind the entrance door in the compartment on the back wall there is a rectangular white panel held in place with four screws. Belind that in a mechanical float gauge built into the fuel tank. It is always correct. Compare your dash gauge with it.
I have a 150 gallon tank and have pumped 138 gallons of fuel with my gen running several times with no problems. I really miss my 450gallon tanks (2) on the Kenworth I sold!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 04:16 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
I've had that access panel off on my 1999 Eagle, ain't nothing there but the side of the tank.

I'm actually OK with the way I can fuel now. Mine vents good and I'm not gonna drive a tank of fuel non-stop....
Be my luck I'd have some freaky leveling jacks issue at the flying J....lol.

mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #17

I am pretty much with you mackwrench.

I have never been behind that panel.

Mine fills good, and results in a bit conservative indication of use of fuel.

I can live with that.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
While there are a few posts about Fleetweed/Spartan speedometer/odometer issues here that I researched, I thought I would add my recent experience.

I have had problems with just the odometer section of my VDO speedo since I bought the RV two years ago. Sometimes it was fine, other times it just flashed, but mostly was unreadable.

I purchased a VDO unit online for roughly $160 if my memory serves correctly.
The old one was M 211 012 073 437-052B
The one I ordered was all the same --- just no B after the 052.

It installed easily (five minutes max) as all connectors were the same, and I have easy access to the back of the dash on the Eagle. It was just a matter of pulling it out, then putting the other in. no bolts or wires to change at all, just push connectors. It is held in my a large ring on the housing so not even a bracket like a lot of gauges use.

I started it up and is showed ---0.0 === great, it must be working. I test drive the RV and the speed was about 15 when I was doing 50 == not good.
I was hoping it was not due to my unit not having the B.

I researched online and came across the VDO electronic calibration procedures. I first used the measured mile procedure after downloading an APP for my cell phone. That was OK, but still several MPH off. I then used the UP/DOWN procedure and now have it within point 5 MPH. of cellphone GPS speed readings.

All is good.

I have now lost the actual mileage of the old unit and per Florida DMV procedures will have to say the actual mileage is NOT CORRECT if/when I sell.
When I do sell I plan to get a readout from Cummins to show the actual miles since that is kept in the engine computer. (I have seen that on my engine before from Cummins when I had service work done)

thanks --- Dale
Just an FYI, I just bought a 99 American Eagle and the odometer display did not work. I got on google found this place Nichols Speedometer & Instruments - Speedometers, Tachographs, Service and Repair North Carolina, they said that is common for the LCD to go out and they replace the the odo LCD. $100 and they repaired and shipped back the same day they got it. It reads the original mileage since it has a memory. I would highly recommend NSI fleet, they service was great and well work the price.
Drewfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #19

Thanks for the post. I have a similar issue so I will be contacting them.

Thanks!!!
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:23 AM   #20

Drewfab,
My odometer works but is so dim I can only read it if I have the instrument panel lights on. Would the replacement LCD fix that?
steveschlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschlott View Post
Drewfab,
My odometer works but is so dim I can only read it if I have the instrument panel lights on. Would the replacement LCD fix that?
I think it would help, mine went from nothing to super bright orange now. I would call NSI fleet and ask them, but I would it would help
Old 03-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfab View Post
Just an FYI, I just bought a 99 American Eagle and the odometer display did not work. I got on google found this place Nichols Speedometer & Instruments - Speedometers, Tachographs, Service and Repair North Carolina, they said that is common for the LCD to go out and they replace the the odo LCD. $100 and they repaired and shipped back the same day they got it. It reads the original mileage since it has a memory. I would highly recommend NSI fleet, they service was great and well work the price.
I forgot to mention in my original post, I had a VDO Speedo. I'll post a pic when I can take one
Old 03-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #23

Same issue on my 1997 Eagle ... thank you for the link!

Mike

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #24

Spartan Chassis
I learned over time on ours that if the rear of the coach is lower it is far easier to fill it up completely. So now I dump the bags which on mine only lower the rear when filling up. It will take a lot more fuel this way than if it's sitting somewhat level.
Old Today, 08:08 AM   #25

I have a new vdo collecting dust for the same reason as you found out. Mine don't show any miles. I do have a silver leaf monitor system and use it all the time. It shows me everything from miles on the coach to how much fuel it has used sense new. I see engine management with fuel mileage to temp of the motor also boost . John

American Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speedometer