Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
American Eagle wall thermal insulation

Howdy! We're looking at picking up a coach and have focused down to the American Coach and Country Coach lines. I've found the CCs to be very well thermally insulated, but honestly can't tell on the Eagles. Any inputs on how well they handle the heat? We are looking in the 2000-2004 age group.

Jim
Cloudrnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I can't answer but hopefully others should be along shortly.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
No question American Coach. Only negative is could be more r factor in the rear cap. Don't know about the CC. As you know there not answering phones anymore!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have owned a 1999 American Eagle and 2009 American Eagle, I have never had an issue of cooling the coach in triple digit heat. My brother has a 2001 American Eagle and he hasn't had any issues cooling the coach with triple digit heat also.

I have also used both coaches in below zero temperatures, my 2009 required auxiliary heat in the utility bay as my aquahot thermostat wasn't working.

I would think either coach would do fine with cooling, but awnings and blinds help out tremendously and my 1999 had dark tinted windows which helped tremendously.

There is an American Coach group on Yahoo that you might get better input from on your specific question. Good luck.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

No problems handling the heat in S. Florida with my 98 American Eagle.

Bedroom stays nice and cool even after an 8 hour run with the A/C running-no engine heat is felt.

Only need to operate the front A/C at night to be comfortable in the summertime. If we operate both you could hang meat in the bedroom!

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the inputs. I was leaning toward the CCs, but the customer support that is evident from the posts here about Fleetwood is changing my direction. Anyone have a "best source" for changes through the model years and between models?
Cloudrnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrnnr View Post
Thanks for the inputs. I was leaning toward the CCs, but the customer support that is evident from the posts here about Fleetwood is changing my direction. Anyone have a "best source" for changes through the model years and between models?
Original body style for Eagles and Dreams thru 2000.

2001's have a different body style.

Eagles were the top of the line prior to the introduction of the Heritage.

Eagles and Dreams look basically the same, Eagle has larger HP engine and the pantograph cargo doors like an OTR bus or tour bus plus a few refinements and were typically ordered with upgradedd leather Villa furniture.

All will have large tankage, real wood cabinets and excellent fit and finish.

All will be ISC Cummins or larger displacement, Allison 3060 six speed transmissions and the Spartan Mountain Master Chassis.

Support from AC and Spartan is fabulous.

Traditions had a different look through 2000 (i.e. did not look like the Eagles and Dreams), don't know about 2001's and later models.

DaveS
Old 08-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Eagles are great coaches, with fine support for Fleetwood's tech service branch. The new ones start at over $500k.

www.americancoach.com
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #9

As for the insulation on MH's I think the biggest problem on anything is around the slides. When it dark outside turn on your inside lights and go outside and prob around and see how much light you can see. I have a friend who bought a so called top of the line 5th wheel and he could see his wife inside.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
When talking about American coaches, it is better to deal with what they don't have....they aren't insulated very well as they have gaps every where ,that let in dust,dirt and water..You can cook in the rear bath as you drive it gets so hot back there.....You can have a conversation with the people in the next site thru the walls, as there is little insulation there either...CC better choice
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
When talking about American coaches, it is better to deal with what they don't have....they aren't insulated very well as they have gaps every where ,that let in dust,dirt and water..You can cook in the rear bath as you drive it gets so hot back there.....You can have a conversation with the people in the next site thru the walls, as there is little insulation there either...CC better choice

Wow! Yours is certainly different from mine.

FWIW, I have never seen anything posted like this from an American Coach owner. Based upon the vintage of Chuckster's coach, from my experience American Coach would be jumping through hoops to get things right.

Then again.....

DaveS
Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Daves
I guess you don't go on the American owners group on yahoo...and see all the owners that have this problem...a friend has a 2011 eagle he bought new.....water and air spaces all over it...
As for American "jumping thru hoops on it"....when it was 6 months old with 6,000 miles on it...I took it back to the factory and they spent 150 man hours on it in 4 days to put it back together...I had saved all the defective parts for them...but you can't fix QUALITY.....nor put in insulation.....
I will say for American, that their SERVICE CTR...AND THE GUYS IN IT ARE FANTASTIC...they due a super job..THEY SHOULD BE THEIR QUALITY CONTROL DEPT....but I guess they are that good because of all the units that they have to repair...Chuck
I had 2 Newmars...I should have made it 3
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
Daves
I guess you don't go on the American owners group on yahoo...and see all the owners that have this problem...a friend has a 2011 eagle he bought new.....water and air spaces all over it...
As for American "jumping thru hoops on it"....when it was 6 months old with 6,000 miles on it...I took it back to the factory and they spent 150 man hours on it in 4 days to put it back together...I had saved all the defective parts for them...but you can't fix QUALITY.....nor put in insulation.....
I will say for American, that their SERVICE CTR...AND THE GUYS IN IT ARE FANTASTIC...they due a super job..THEY SHOULD BE THEIR QUALITY CONTROL DEPT....but I guess they are that good because of all the units that they have to repair...Chuck
I had 2 Newmars...I should have made it 3
Regularly log on to the AC Yahoo group. Don't recall any situation like yours except for one (maybe that is you?).

My old Eagle does not leak a drop, no air spaces, no discernible heat in the bedroom after a long run. Sorry that yours is different.

As the OP was looking at 2000-2004 model years, I think my input was valid.

Admittedly I know nothing about the 2013 model year coaches.

DaveS
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #14

No real cooling issues in mine, but I do have to take measures every once in a while. Full timing and had to be in Vegas for a week last summer and this summer. If we have afternoon sun hitting the front windshield, we use bubble insulation as a sun screen. If no direct sun, we just use the sun block black shade on the outside of the windshield. The ACs stayed on all day, but did the job just fine. In the summer, we try to find a space that faces North. Keeps that afternoon sun away from the door and the fridge.

Jake
02 Eagle
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote