Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Talking American Tradition

We are considering trading our 2013 34’ Thor Pallazo DP for a 2007 42’ American Tradition DP and would like feedback from those more experienced than us. We like the increase in overall quality, ride, and size as we hope to do more long trips and possibly a few years of full timing as we retire in the next couple of years. We would like to think we could have a good 10 years from it. What do you think?
KaFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

We own a 2011 American Eagle. Does the 2007 have a Liberty Chassis? If so it's an over built chassis and is solid. I can say that the American Coach items i.e. cabinets fit and finish, build quality is great. All our cabinets are solid wood throughout.

We did have an issue with the engine and a generator. That would be the same on any model.

Ours is quiet, comfortable and I would own another again.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #3

We have a much older Eagle, but purchased it when it was 10 years old and come January we will have owned the coach for 10 years.

Had 47K on the clock when we bought it, turned 100K on our last trip.

In September a camper next to us in a state park actually asked me if it was brand new.

Americans are "overbuilt" and if well looked after will last a very long time. All of the woodwork and cabinets get a regular treatment of Pledge Wood Restore and actually do look brand new.

Have the Tradition inspected , if it passes it should serve you well for many years.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know about that rig but wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #5

One item to consider when looking at RV age is warranty. I am talking the extended type of warranty here, as the original manufacturer warranty will be long gone.

If you are not a DIY type of person an extended warranty may have benefit. These warranties typically have limits on both mileage and age. With an older unit that limit may come much sooner.

I am not a warranty type of person so that was not a concern for me, however it is important to some people.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
One item to consider when looking at RV age is warranty. I am talking the extended type of warranty here, as the original manufacturer warranty will be long gone.

If you are not a DIY type of person an extended warranty may have benefit. These warranties typically have limits on both mileage and age. With an older unit that limit may come much sooner.

I am not a warranty type of person so that was not a concern for me, however it is important to some people.

thx Dale
I agree on the warranty, wont hurt to get a quote. When we bought our Eagle we went back and forth on to get it or not. In the end we purchased it for peace of mind. We are glad we did.

I am mechanically inclined so I replaced the step motor and other items that are under $400 to fix. It's just easier.

But anything big we have been covered. We did suffer from the ISX intake valve failure and that was covered. $25k in work they paid 18k, I did have new EGR cooler installed and the warranty company will pay for rebuilt items and I wanted Cummins items so if they failed in a different state I can go to any Cummins repair and have it covered.

Think of a warranty as health insurance, you hope that you never need the serious coverage and are happy that it's there if you do need it.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Traditions are great coaches, very nicely appointed with good eng/trans combination.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:11 AM   #8

Mine is older coach also but I love it!
The room, the ride and overall quality is outstanding.
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

All the American Coach models since (and including) 2004 have the Liberty chassis.

Some 2007's were produced with a body that was a bit too heavy for the front axle capacity. With driver and passenger in the front seats, you couldn't load the rest of the coach anywhere nears its GVWR without overloading the front axle (rated at 14,600 lbs). This applies only to certain models and floor plans, but the 42 footer is one that might have this issue. I think it is the full wall slide floor plan and all-tile floors that have the weight problem, but my memory is foggy on that. The fix is to upgrade to a heavier front axle and larger tires, but that is very expensive (like $20k!). If the coach has a 14,600 lb GAWR front axle, I would want it weighed (with your & wife onboard) to see how much capacity is left up front.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
One thing that AC did on later models to help fix the over weight front axle was to move the fuel tank farther to the rear.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #11

Couldn't be happier with our 2015 Tradition! LOVE IT!!!
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:21 AM   #12

Our '07 Tradition is pre DEF & DPF. I like that it's 2 less things to worry about. It's built on a Spartan chassis, I never heard Liberty talked about when I went to the Spartan Academy. My research indicates Spartan did build a chassis and named it Liberty. I thought mine was a Mountain Master Chassis by Spartan.

Our Tradition is well built and the interior seems top notch. I had a chassis and house inspection and some chassis work was needed before I purchased mine. The original owner had what they call a "Ceiling Package" installed and it makes the interior look much richer.

Properly taken care of American Coaches have a reputation for lasting a long time. When researching my RV purchase I never considered AC because it was above my budget. However when a slightly older model in the exact floor plan we wanted became available I reconsidered my time frame and bought it. DW and I couldn't be happier.

My opinion and research does not include the more recent American Coaches.

Just my opinion, I would consider an older coach with a reputation for quality than a newer one that doesn't have that reputation. Regardless I would have it inspected.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #13

Oops, my bad; I just looked at the build sheet on my '07 Tradition, it's on a Liberty Chassis
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

American Coach builds the Liberty chassis using modular components from either Spartan or Freightliner. Basically the chassis builder supplies front and rear assemblies and Rev group builds the "bridge" in the middle that joins the two. Freightliner calls their modular the XCM chassis but I don't know if Spartan has a name for theirs. In 2004-2005 AC gave buyers their choice of Freightliner or Spartan modular, but it was always called the Liberty Chassis. Starting in 2006, there was no longer a choice. They were Spartan until recently, but now it's Freightliner again.

As i understand it, Winnebago did much the same with the chassis for Tour and gave it their own name (Maxum).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote