Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:25 AM   #1

And there it sits in the driveway...

After a year and a half of researching, we finally drove home a new '16 Fleetwood Southwind 34A. Well, we didn't drive it straight home, we stopped at a campground about four miles from the house and spent some quality time with it this weekend.

I feel like we got a good deal on the coach, and we got them to toss in all we needed to tow the car. So, that alone has saved me a couple of hours of my life.

The weekend provided us a short punch list.
Passenger foot rest doesn't work - should've caught this on the PDI, but oh well.
Pedestal sink in bathroom not secured well - one of the screws was found on the floor, probably came out on the short trip.
Wet bay light not working - fixture itself, not just the bulb. Again, I missed this on the PDI, but more on that later.

It goes back in a week or so to take car of the tow setup, replace a runner for the driver side screen, and to fix a leaking jack. They can hit the punch list then. If they need to order parts, they can order them and I'll do the repairs, rather than take it back up there. I've purchased a camper from these folks before, and they are good about that.

The PDI was interesting. The tech who walked us through the coach was very friendly, and happy with life, but he knew very little about the coach. And when I say that, I don't just mean specifics about the model, every bay door he opened was like a Christmas present... He fumbled his way through many industry standard tools, like the back up camera. I had to point out to him that one of the slide outs was not completely out, which caused an issue with the L-shaped sofa. There was very little he knew that my wife and I hadn't already learned in our research.
Combine that with the generic owners manual, and we're left with questions like: Are those speakers in the cabinets on the slideout? (I haven't shot a flashlight into them to see yet) If so, what are they plugged into? We have his phone number and were told to call if we had any questions, but I have to wonder about the answers he would provide.
I also found his lack of knowledge distracting, and I think played a part in us missing a couple of things on the PDI.

Overall, we are happy with our decision and look forward to many years driving our room with a view to National and State parks around the country. We'll have plenty of time to figure out how to get the speakers working.

And we are so, so happy this part is over with.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The wet bay light along with the scare light on the drivers side of the coach and engine compartment light are turned on by using the utility light switch on the dash. Also , make sure that the switch on the fixture itself is turned on. Congratulations! By the way, dont be afraid to give the footrest a tug while trying to move the lever. They can be stiff when new!

Old 03-13-2017, 05:01 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
and yes, the those are speakers in the cabinets. They are hooked to your surround sound system.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #4

Check the cable on the foot rest. Sometimes it was not seated fully into the eyelet that makes it work. For us this was a simple fix, as it is just a Z shaped piece which catches the eyelet.

Speakers work with the BluRay Player, which does not work on the inverter. When on Generator or Shore Power, you can also send TV audio through these speakers by choosing Optical Output in the TV Settings.

Enjoy!
Old 03-15-2017, 02:53 AM   #5

Quote:
The wet bay light along with the scare light on the drivers side of the coach and engine compartment light are turned on by using the utility light switch on the dash.
Thanks, I will check this out this evening when I get home. 20+ years of owning campers and feel like a newb. Kinda cool.

Quote:
you can also send TV audio through these speakers by choosing Optical Output in the TV Settings.
This makes me want to run home and check it out. Thanks.

It's the little things that can distract me at work...
Old 03-15-2017, 06:05 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
Speakers work with the BluRay Player, which does not work on the inverter. When on Generator or Shore Power, you can also send TV audio through these speakers by choosing Optical Output in the TV Settings.

Enjoy!
Mine works through the inverter. Hooked up to circuit 5. And with the Sony tv and HTSS it "knows" to route the sound when the TV and HTSS is turned on. It is hooked up via HDMI.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine works through inverter as well.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #8

Regarding the foot rest, I take it you're referring to the passenger side captain's seat. I don't know if you have flexsteel or villa seats but in my 2017 38k the seats are villa furniture. When we took it out for the first time, our foot rest would not work either, it would not retract. I checked all the cables but it looked ok. I called villa furniture from the camp ground and they explained to me in order to put the foot rest down, I would have to "hook my heals" over the edge and pull in while pushing down. Well it worked and has worked since. Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 AM   #9

Wow, whodathunk? I fixed the idiot, and now the wetbay light works. Silly me for thinking the luggage light switch operated all of the bay lights .

I still haven't fixed the idiot operating the TV's. No matter what setting I try, the speakers over the bed, or the couch, won't discharge noise... And I've spent several hours sitting on the couch or laying in bed waiting for it. I'm not so sure my wife believes me when I tell her I'm working on the rig.

The passenger chair footrest (flexsteel), well, still don't know. Lever on the front rotates chair, check. Lever on the side moves chair to and fro, check. Pull handle on the side flops the seat back into nice eye-lid study position, check. Electric switch on the side, nothing. The footrest just laughs at me.

I went ahead and secured the the pedestal sink in the bathroom.

Now, just waiting on the call that the parts have come in, so they can fix the leaking jack, and get the car Toad ready.

Then it's a few lake trips before a trip to Bryce Canyon in May and our hiking trip in Colorado in August.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #10

My '15 Fleetwood Excursion has Flexsteel Seats - I had to replace one of the worm gears because the footrest was stuck about 2/3rds up. Figured it out by disconnecting and removing both worm gears. One of the worm gears would bind up. So ordered a new one here (the left and right are different so if this turns out to be your problems, be sure to order the correct one).

RV FOOTREST WORMGEAR, Flexsteel RV Seat Parts, RV Captains Chair Parts, RV Furniture Parts, Marine Furniture Parts, Motorhome chair parts, RV Chair Parts, RV Seating Parts, Motorhome seat parts.

As well, my TV does not play through the surround sound even though with TV on and you turn on SS, the TV says it is switching to external audio. TV and SS are both Sony. Dealer said it doesn't work that way. Am I missing something?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #11

My Fleetwood surround only worked with the Blue ray.
It was a Sony.
I pulled it and put a Yamaha AVR in . Now it's 5.1 with Directv and blue ray
Had to add a sub woffer amp too.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #12

My TV and Sound System did not work when we did our PDI also, they found that there was a Junction Box where the Inverter/Non-Inverter wires were switched, it was an easy fix. JH
Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine will play tv sound through the surround not just blueray. Both are sony. I forget what the setup is. When I get back to coach I will take a look.