Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any Bounder owners ever have this screen door latch issue?

To open or close the screen door by itself in my 2003 Bounder 36S you can use the pull handle on the inside or the push button on the outside. Either one releases the latch and allows the door to open.

If you want to operate both the screen door and the outer door together, there is a plastic mechanism screwed to the outer door that holds both doors together. Part of that mechanism pushes and holds the screen door button so that it does NOT latch and only the outer door latch holds both doors closed.

HOWEVER, on my doors the mechanism on the outer door doesn't hold the screen door quite close enough to completely depress the screen door button so that sometimes the outer door latch will release, but the screen door latch doesn't want to release, or at least not immediately.

Right now a rubber band around the screen door latch ensures that only the outer door latch is used, but I wonder if there isn't a better, possibly more elegant, solution to my problem than a rubber band.

Thank you for any information or advice you may have.

rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #2

I have an '05 36Z with the same kind of latch, I've not had your problem but the plastic latch deallie on the door did break, I replaced it for a few bucks. Have you tried adjusting the plastic latch on the door? Or, putting a shim behind the latch to allow more movement of the screen door button? That might work.

Good luck.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, Tincup. I hadn't thought of using a shim - I'll try that.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Problem solved! Inside the screen door latch, there's a small pot-metal push rod between the button on the outside and the handle on the inside. Mine was bent, just a little. I carefully straightened it out and now it's long enough to push and hold the latch open properly and completely when connected to the outer door.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
I have an '05 36Z with the same kind of latch, I've not had your problem but the plastic latch deallie on the door did break, I replaced it for a few bucks. Have you tried adjusting the plastic latch on the door? Or, putting a shim behind the latch to allow more movement of the screen door button? That might work.

Good luck.
Paul: I saw your reply on the screen door latch. I have an 03 Bounder 36s and the latch system and the metal screen door handle assembly are broken. You said that you had replaced yours...Where can I get those parts. I've bought "replacement" parts from my local RV/trailer parts house and they are not working. Please help, Randall
Old 12-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #6

Randall,

It's been a while since I bought them, I've got to do a Google search, I think it was E-Bay but not sure. I'll find it and post the link here.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Randall - I bought "replacement" parts directly from Fleetwood and they broke, just like the original ones did. Then I bought a metal slide latch from ACE Hardware for about $12. I had to put a shim under it to raise it about 1/16 inch. I cut a piece of vinyl siding that was just the right thickness. I haven't had any trouble with it since. Here's a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Latch.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	7289  
Old 12-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #8

Randall,

I found it, Sullivans RV Online Parts Store

RV Screen Door Latch - Best Prices on eBay - New - eBay (item 120660526400 end time Jan-13-11 11:59:06 PST)

Old 12-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #9

03 Bounder Latch

Thanks so much for your responses. I have found and purchased the black latch from e-bay (thanks tincup!). Now I need to replace the entire screen door handle assembly (white). The push pin inside the handle broke. It keeps the door latch unengaged (back) allowing it to open with the outer door. Anyone know where I can get that? Randall
Old 12-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #10

Same place, Sullivans has most Fleetwood replacement parts.

I had the same thing happen to my latch, maybe they made our rigs on a Monday morning !

I fixed mine by replacing the little spring inside. If you take it apart, you'll see a small spring that pushes the handle back. I went to my local hardware store and bought a package of six little springs. I still had to cut one to length but it worked fine and that was a year ago.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Tincup, you got it workin', and I congratulate you. Bless you. Now, has anyone ever found an improvement for the older (like my '95) front door latch? The dammm thing sometimes closes both doors together, sometimes not. If I add another magnet (there's a spot for another) I'm afraid they'll stick closed and we'll never get out.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #12

Carolina Campers
That is one little problem I ignore...LOL Too many other things can go wrong. I'm just glad the door opens and closes....
Dixieray53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #13

While we're on the topic of Bounder doors, a word of caution regarding the latch adjustment on the main door. You know, that little nut on the jamb below the latch on the "hard" door. Do not, and I repeat do not, turn the nut fully clockwise then close the door. I did while "she who must be obeyed" was inside, she was locked in and I couldn't open the door. I had to climb through a window, remove the latch assembly to get the door open. Fortunately, I had a square bit that fit the screws holding the latch on.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by recon View Post
Thanks so much for your responses. I have found and purchased the black latch from e-bay (thanks tincup!). Now I need to replace the entire screen door handle assembly (white). The push pin inside the handle broke. It keeps the door latch unengaged (back) allowing it to open with the outer door. Anyone know where I can get that? Randall
As you probably know, those parts are also available in white or black from Fleetwood parts. I also replaced the latch and recently the screen door handle after a year of do it yourself fixes. I have found that the parts I have bought from Fleetwood Parts were less expensive than the Dealer, including shipping. Also fast and friendly service. I think maybe Fleetwood is attempting to improve Cust. Service.

FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder