Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #1

Anyone been to Fleetwood's repair facility in Decatur?

I'm heading out there in December and they said you stay in your unit at night, but their sites only have electric hookups. Anyone know if they have a bathhouse?

Wondering if there is anything around the area to do? I'll be out there for 8-9 days.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can fill up your fresh water tank and use your own bathhouse.
I'm sure they have a water fill up location and even a dump station.

They pick up your MH at 6AM and return it after 2:30PM to your parking site.

Things to do while there.

Tourist attractions
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There is both a dump station and a fresh water source, so you won't need a bathhouse.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #4

Just got our coach back from there but we did drop off since we live close.

Anyhow, you will also be fairly close to Fort Wayne so might also check for things to do there. That can include concerts at times.

Tom
Old 11-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

They now have an indoor bathroom and laundry facilities available 24/7. No shower thou. What was said about water and a dump site is still accurate.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I have the unit partially winterized and was hoping to keep it that way. I guess that won't be happening.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #7

8-10 days....ouch

Here is what you can expect:

When they say start at 6:am they mean it! This appears to be a union shop, as in the workers move when the whistle blows, (start, breaks, lunch & close). There is a mad dash for the exit when the final whistle blows.

The workers will be dressed like hobo's. However, they are courteous. They are not social at all. My best guess is that none of them actually own an rv. One of the guys didn't even know how to unplug an electric cord...watching them work was almost comical (except it wasn't).

The service center has no parts available, everything has to be ordered in.

The service center is big and there are a couple of indoor facilities with a lot of body work going on. you can hang out in your rv, just don't expect to be comfortable.

Food: Papa Johns pizza is just south of the camping lot, an easy walk. I walked to Krogers on a nice day. Plan ahead for food.

Wifi is only available inside the service waiting area (boring).

December is cold (real cold) with snow possible. I dumped and winterized at the service center.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #8

I've been there several times and I could not stand to be there 8-9 days especially in Dec. Hope you have a toad along.
Taking the factory tour will fill one morning East side cafe is good to eat at on 224.
I have always arrived the night before and stayed with the coach till the crew understands what I want then head home till they call that it's done.

good luck

pointrow
Old 11-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #9

FWIW
My opinion of the workers at the service center differs from bigcrisps. Some have been there longer than others and are more knowledgeable. Some are very sociable and chatty some are not. What's important is that everyone there will listen to any concerns you have about your coach and do their best to correct them. Once your checked in the 6AM coach pickup is spot on, the return time can vary quite a bit, I've had my coach in the service bays until after 5:30 on several occasions .
If you going to be staying in the coach and it's below freezing make sure your propane tank is full. The heat pumps won't work much below 40 dgrs. Use of the gas furnace will heat the basement so your plumbing will be protected while your there. There is 50 amp power available in the parking lot. The visitors center has pool tables abundant TV's wifi and even an outdoor gas firepit. You will get a visitors pass that will open the doors to an area of the visitors center with restroom and the laundry for 24/7 access.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wasn't going to post anything till I read biggcrisp's disparaging comments, written anonymously. He must have pissed-off people to have had such an experience.

I've been there 4 times in the past 3 years and found everybody to be polite and helpful, especially the floor techs (who are dressed in street clothes, for the most part). I have had good conversations with at least 4 of them, two of whom had RVs (one lived in his for about a year). On every visit the techs asked if there were any more issues not on the service order they could address, and in every case they did additional work for us. They always deferred to the tech who knew the most about the issue. Yes, some are newer on the job and need to learn. Others are merely go-fers and shouldn't be expected to know much.

I would agree the service reps who check us in/out are more taciturn, but they are dealing with a bunch of customers, none of whom want to be there and all of whom want to be their top priority. They don't have time to waste in idle conversation.

Yes, they do show up at 6am or earlier even. And yes, they do generally work an 8-hour day, some longer. Should we begrudge them that? Really? I have no idea about unions, but I never felt their presence there (as I have in other places with their work-to-rules attitude).

I agree a week is a long time to spend in Decatur. Factory tour is worth it; ask lots of questions. Ft. Wayne is a good option, perhaps an hour away. If decent weather to drive in, you might try for Elkhart too--"the RV capitol of the world" with lots of RV stores and a couple really good restaurants (Stumpy's?). The RV museum is worth a visit, and more factories to tour.

I hope your experience is a good one. The new lounge looks marvelous! Opened a couple weeks after our last visit.
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #11

Got to chime in some more also. We found all the folks there to be quite helpful and friendly. The head service tech for our coach was a very pleasant fellow who really seemed to know his stuff and happened to live about halfway between plant and us.

I did not get the impression there was any kind of rush to get things done just a focus on getting things done. They also appear to have allotted times for certain work just like one sees at auto dealers and their repair departments.

Remember they are all people too and will have good/bad days/weeks so experiences may well vary. Plus I am sure some techs are better than others it's the nature of life just is hopefully they have things in place to assure things get done right.

They had our coach for a week and in that time not only took care of the recall we were in for but also Freightliner service, generator service, paint damage I caused, winterize, and a few warranty items. When the recall was scheduled I was told it was 40-60hrs. alone so I was quite impressed with how quickly the coach was turned around. Now granted it may be a huge plus to not have to get the coach ready for occupancy nightly and we did take a lot out before drop off of the coach so it would not be in their way.

As to Fort Wayne it's about 30 min. to downtown from Decatur. (Less to south side more to North side.) So it does give some options if you have a toad.

Also you may want to check out Berne which is just south of there. Amish area and know around here for furniture.

Tom
Old 11-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I would not count on the "8 or 9 day" estimate. That could easily stretch to two weeks. Parts are a big hang up, they order them from the supplier, the latter has no sense of urgency. I know it's a long drive home, but you might consider it. It will take them less time and it will be less wear and tear on your coach if they can put it in the shop and leave it rather than running it out every evening and back in at 6AM.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I would not count on the "8 or 9 day" estimate. That could easily stretch to two weeks. Parts are a big hang up, they order them from the supplier, the latter has no sense of urgency. I know it's a long drive home, but you might consider it. It will take them less time and it will be less wear and tear on your coach if they can put it in the shop and leave it rather than running it out every evening and back in at 6AM.
Thanks, the estimate that they gave me was 5-6 days, but unfortunately it has a weekend in the middle. I've debated about driving back or not.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #14

Another thread on the lot while it was brandy new:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/new-...er-285882.html

Tags
cat, fleetwood, repair