Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Automatic transfer switch replacement

Last time I used the rv I was in Campground on shore power with both ACs running watching tv. All of sudden power went out. Tripped the breaker at the post. Fired up generator and everything worked except rear ac. Finally got around to checking out the ats which is behind breaker box over fridge. Where shore power romex Connected to the ats, both plastic connectors were melted as was the ground wire. That explains why a breaker would trip every time I plugged in. I stopped right there and ordered a new ATS 30 from amazon.
Questions.....
1- could something have happened to the rear ac that caused the meltdown? Remember it was running when all this started and will not now run on generator power. It doesn’t even try to come on.
2 - the melted wires scare me. Looking online I see lots of melted wires with comments about being lucky no fire BUT nothing about any meltdown actually causing a fire. Should or could I move the new ats to a safer location?
3- is it possible or feasible to install a fire suppression device of some sort in the current ats location should this happen again and actually start a fire?
Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

The screws holding the wiring should be re-tightened annually, they do work loose while driving our incredibly smooth highways. Each year I find at least one that may be tightened a bit more.
I also check the individual breakers connections annually.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks ray. Annual tightening is now on the list.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #4

Bounders of that era, only one a/c will run at a time by design. There should be a switch that say's 'front', 'rear', you turn the switch to the desired a/c unit you want to use. its possible that switch you should have, may be failing, allowing current to both units. My Bounder works opposite of yours, I can get both units to run when on the generator, but only 1 when on shore power, I dont use both when on gen. because it is a full load, and after a few minutes, the gen. slowing losses the battle and lugs down.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, switch, transfer switch