Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #1

Awning sensor

Does anyone know if the awning on a 2017 35k has a sensor and where it is located? Our awning is useless because the very slightest breeze on a rather calm day will retract it.
Amgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
awining sensor

Ours is in the cabinet to the right of the door as you walk in although it dose not work anymore. I think you can adjust the sensitivity of it.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:21 PM   #3

That is a strutless awning made by Carefree. There is no wind sensor but rather a motion sensor. It is non adjustable.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
That is a strutless awning made by Carefree. There is no wind sensor but rather a motion sensor. It is non adjustable.
We have two of the Carefree Apex awnings on the passenger side of our rig. Both have the motion sensors and our wall control panel (not the remote) have four buttons to set the sensitivity of the sensors. Even on the least sensitive they seem to retract too soon.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:29 AM   #5

I believe the actual sensor is on the outside edge of the awning, which allows it to sense the motion. It is in the left corner (when looking at the side of the motorhome) furthest from the entry door.
rc3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

MrD
These units do not have a wall control panel or a remote. They operate thru the Illumaplex system on these coaches. It actually took me awhile to get the correct manual for my coach as Carefree makes quite a few different style awnings.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #7

Yes, ours does not have a wall panel control or a remote and IF it is working properly, it's junk and will need to be replaced with something else OR if it's not working properly, it needs to be repaired. We have to have a functioning awning.
Amgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same Carefree awning and am having the same issue on my 2016 33C. Slightest wind causes it to come in. Dealer took a look at it, said he had it in the wind and it stayed out no problem. I could be crazy, but I feel like the more I use it, the less sensitive it gets. I don't know if the movement sensor has any sort of 'learning' capability, but it does seem to be getting less sensitive. Or it could be all in my head...

I've done a lot of research and have not found any solution to this problem. The fact that they would make an auto retract sensor without an adjustment is just beyond me. The one 'sort of' solution I have found is wiring in a power cutoff switch to the awning. The logic is that the awning cant retract if there is no power to it. Though, I think this would also cause the LEDs on the awning not to have power as well.

Another discussion here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/2016...ng-281763.html
Swan-Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 2017 35K Bounder with a carefree freedom style awning. The awning will not retract: any ideas? I do not know what fuse to look for as this was "fixed" at the dealership with a new motor and a higher wattage on the fuse. It would not go out. It did go out and now will not retract. It had retracted once or twice when I tested it.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #10

Here is the manual for the awning it shows a way to mechanically retract the awning. When my awning froze I was fortunate that it was during the work week and a call to Fleetwood customer service enabled them to talk me thru how to go to the illumaplex control panel and retract the awning. Please look at the mounting plates on your coach. There area total of 4 plates. Each plate has 2 sheetmetal screws holding the awning in place. On my coach the factory left the screws just on top of the porch light and bathroom window out. One day the awning would not extend and when I looked at the brackets noticed that the rear bracket has the one screw sheared off. I suspect a gust caught the awning and sheared the screw tweaked the awning and the sensor retracted it at the same time. At the factory last month all the 2017 35K's I looked at has the same issue the same 2 mounting screws were left out.

Looking up at the awning either open or closed you will see four brackets. On the bottom edge of the brackets are two holes facing up. Hopefully each of the holes will have a screw in it mine did not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carefree Freedom Freestyle Owners.pdf (336.9 KB, 192 views)
Old 09-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgage View Post
Yes, ours does not have a wall panel control or a remote and IF it is working properly, it's junk and will need to be replaced with something else OR if it's not working properly, it needs to be repaired. We have to have a functioning awning.
Our Holiday Rambler Vacationer has the same awning with the same issues. I contacted Fleetwood and they told me that this awning is designed to be "on" all the time. I told them that I would like to clean it without the auto-retract feature engaging and they suggested that I shut off all power to the motorhome with the awning extended in order to clean/wash it. If this does not work, they claim that a fuse can be pulled. Kind of a silly design (probably prompted by the product liability crowd). Carefree sent me a new sensor that is less sensitive and everything seems to be OK for now. The sensor is a square box mounted on the rear edge of the awning. Hope this helps.
rssj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning