Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #1

Batteries and winter.

Spring has sprung and I need a new chassis battery. It would not hold a charge on converter/charger or alternator. After charging, it pretty quickly showed voltage drop to 11.3v. (Alternator is ok...while engine running battery terminals show voltage of 14.4v.) Measuring the SG of the electrolyte in cell #5 wouldn't even float the bulb. It was about 7 years old.

I had the coach connected to shore power all winter. Sometime, one of the house batteries blew some electrolyte out the valve cap. In fact blew off its cap. No swelling or bulging or anything like that is apparent. The house batteries take a full charge and all the electrolyte measures show good, and all are the same value. My battery configuration is 2 6v deep cycle batteries on charger/converter.. no inverter.

So here's the question; would the charger keep the batteries on bulk charge thinking they were low due to the chassis battery not holding charge? Thereby over charging them causing the gassing?

My take is that I'm OK with the house batteries (only 4 years old.) What say ye?
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

The charger was over-charging the batteries, causing the cap to blow off and spew electrolyte everywhere. That battery must be replaced, which brings up another issue. If the batteries are not all the same type, age, and conditon, you may be just spinning your wheels and throwing money away buying one battery. The only way to know is to have all of that battery bank tested by Interstate or other such battery company.
The next step is to determine the condition of the charger output =cause of the battery exploding.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I often wonder why take a chance of over charging with it plugged in all winter? I leave cars,trucks and boats all winter with no plug ins and they winter fine. I do give them a full charge before I leave home for sunny climes. The DP sits all summer without being plugged in, isolaters off, and they to work great. Just saying.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What converter do you have on that puppy?
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #5

hey YXM...it is a WFCO WF-8865. 65 amp charger/converter. I've not checked the output yet on it but will when I reconnect all the batteries. It's a bear to check since it's underneath the refer and has flex duct work running all around it. However I don't suspect anything wrong there.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with the previous posters. Its probable that the charger over-charged them.

You would benefit more from a battery maintainer (1.5amp trickle charge), as they will discontinue charging when the batteries dont need it.

Any battery that has suffered physical damage (yes, its damage) should be replaced. If its part of a bank, unfortunately, the entire bank should be replaced with identical batteries.

The coach batteries typically are isolated from the chassis battery. whether its a switchable isolator or not depends on your coach. I think most are.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #7

Update..the charger/converter is fine. I'm replacing the house batteries to be on the safe side. I believe my poor maintenance schedule has contributed to their premature demise. (they are 5 years old)

I'll do better from now on, and thanks for all the replies and help. This forum is always great!

PS. .the trees are fully green and the humming birds are back this week so spring has finally arrived here in central Carolinas.

Tags
batteries, winter