RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Batteries Drained during 3 week storage - 2003 Flair 33R

We just got our used (and babied) 2003 Fleetwood Flair 33R a little while ago. We parked it for storage for only about 3 weeks, then discovered both the house and chassis batteries were drained. We did hit both battery disconnects before we left it...
Any obvious things to look for that might cause this? Things that would still be connected that the disconnects don't shut off? Odd that both the house AND the chassis would be drained...

Thanks for any insight!

travelingbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Battery disconnects seldom do. Your chassis batteries could be drained by the ECU, dashboard clock, radio presets, entrance steps, etc. The house batteries could be drained by some of the same. Check that the TV antenna boost is off, thermostat, etc. A mechanical disconnect like one of these:

Would be a positive way to prevent battery drain from phantom loads. I use one, my house battery can be off 5 months or more without discharge.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I like the idea of a switch like that. Did you just install it in your battery bay directly inline? Did you do one for both the house and the chassis?
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #4

It may already have one of these in the bay with the Inverter.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
My Cummins 5.9 is all mechanical, so my solenoid disconnect seems to be 100%. The house batteries each have knife switches mounted on a terminal. When I'm not plugged in, they get opened and everything is good until I next use the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
So if I install switches for both, would there be any need for the stock internal disconnect switches? Could they be bypassed, and possibly just re-labeled "Phasers" and "Photon Torpedoes"?
(That's a joke, as I know they only trigger solenoids, but anything to Trek it up....)
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #7

How old are the batteries? If you hit both battery disconnects they may be at the end of their life. I just bought an 03 33r two months ago and had to replace all the batteries.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #8

Assuming that my 2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 32S is laid out similar to your's, I would have to agree with one of the suggestions made by Mr. Flinn, that being the tv antenna booster. If left on, it can drain the coach batteries over a period of a few days. It should be in the overhead compartment above the passenger seat, mounted right in the back of the compartment above the windshield. When it is powered, a green light is on. It's easy to miss when you shut all the tv controls down, especially if you use the remotes, and don't open that compartment.
terryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure you get a switch rated for 300 amps or more.
An enclosed switch is better.

Some folks just remove the negative battery cable, you could try that next time before installing two switches.

Dan
Old 05-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've seen the solenoids go bad. You sure yours aren't out?

Draw is pretty easy to test with an amp meter.. Just test it with the disconnect "disconnected" and see what they draw.

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, storage