RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #85

While waiting for the repair on my Source Manager, I want to keep the 4 new 6V batteries charged. Now wanting to be sure that everything I do is according to Hoyle, what is the most proper way?

6V or 12V setting? I'm doing 12V....but is that correct?

2A, 10A or 50A? What's best for maintenance charge on new batteries?

Deep Cycle Charge or Standard 12V charge?

I'd like to connect the Neg charger lead to the ground terminal, and the Pos lead to the (+) terminal on the far right upper side (bridging all 4 batteries).

What do you guys do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 AM   #86

If it's not a smart charger, use 2 amp 12 volt setting connected ( bridging ) to all batteries.

Make sure the voltage hovers between 13 and 13.5. If it drops, something is on or wrong.

If it goes over 13.6 it could gas out the electrolite.

If it's an automatic smart charger, then deep cycle setting should work. The amps won't matter because it will cut back anyway.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
While waiting for the repair on my Source Manager, I want to keep the 4 new 6V batteries charged. Now wanting to be sure that everything I do is according to Hoyle, what is the most proper way?

6V or 12V setting? I'm doing 12V....but is that correct?

2A, 10A or 50A? What's best for maintenance charge on new batteries?

Deep Cycle Charge or Standard 12V charge?

I'd like to connect the Neg charger lead to the ground terminal, and the Pos lead to the (+) terminal on the far right upper side (bridging all 4 batteries).

What do you guys do?
Good question and an important one. All those wires can be hard to figure out. Your batteries are wired in a series/parallel configuration. This means 2 6 volt batteries are wired together with the positive of one connected to the negative of the other. This gives you a 12 volt battery string.

All of the free negative posts are strung together and feed to you SM. This is also done with the positive terminals.

Measure with your volt meter across the 12 volt posts as I described the arrangement above to be certain you are reading the sum of two 6 volt batteries in the string. Be absolutely certain that you are across the 12V connections. Place the positive lead from the charger on the positive post measured from and the negative lead on the negative post. CAUTION: Do this with the charger turned off. A spark near these discharged batteries could ignite the gasses produced by the batteries.

Set your charger for DEEP CYCLE and 50A. Note: Make certain the water in the batteries is over the plates and near the bottom of the fill hole extension. Use only distilled water.

Most chargers are self regulation. As the batteries come up to the proper voltage the charger will decrease the charging current. If I recall correctly you have 4 6V batteries. That makes 2 12V strings which means a max of 25 amps will pass through each of your batteries: 25 amps through each string give you 50 amps from the charger.

Once the batteries are charge fully, the charge currant will read zero. At this time it would be a good idea to mark each terminal and wire to it with a code you understand
. Disconnect all of the leads and measure and record time and voltage of each battery. Do the same in 24 hrs. The batteries should all read withing .1 volt.

Looking forward to the results of this process.

Rick Y

Old 02-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #88

Thanks for a good education, jerichorick.

Today we got the bad news from Global Electronics. They found a bad spot on a circuit board and are unable to repair the SM. As luck would have it, a friend sent me a link to Intellitec in Deland, FL, and my call to their tech center resulted in their guy Mark telling me that he repairs SMs regularly with part he's cannibalized from units that got traded in for an up-graded system.

I prefer having OEM in the coach, so will get the unit from Global in Buford, GA, then take it to Deland for repairs. I sure hope it works out, because my toad is getting a workout with these road trips.

Tags
battery