Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

Battery Issue

I think I'll be replacing my house batteries but was wondering, is it better to use the shore line and keep it plugged in all the time? We only use this Class C 3 times a year. Or should I hook up a trickle charger to allow the batteries to slowly stay charged?
Lonnie and Allie, 2014 26' Fleetwood Searcher. Retired from US Army and the Boeing Co. Life Member: NRA, 4th US Cav Assco., 25 Infantry DIV. Member of AARP, AUSA, NCOIA, Purple Heart Assoc, DAV, Sgt Major US Army Brotherhood of Tankers.
Lonallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I keep mine plugged in all the time, but I have a good 3 stage charge circuit and 400 watts of solar. I turn the solar off when on shore power.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonallie View Post
I think I'll be replacing my house batteries but was wondering, is it better to use the shore line and keep it plugged in all the time? We only use this Class C 3 times a year. Or should I hook up a trickle charger to allow the batteries to slowly stay charged?
First, if your replacing batteries, take a couple of photos of your existing batteries to use as a reference getting the new ones back in the same way.

As for being plugged in, assuming you have a converter on board already to maintain the battery state of charge when plugged into shore power, there is no reason to add a trickle charger. Your converter will do a much better job of keeping your batteries fully charged than any Box store trickle charger.

I have mine plugged in 24/7/365 unless we are traveling and they are approaching seven years old with a few years left in them still.

The key to battery life is to keep them fully charged. Check the battery voltage when plugged into shore power. It should be 13.5 - 13.7. MAX. Check the water levels at least every two months and top off as required. Keep the terminals clean from corrosion.

Do this and your batteries will last for 8-10 years easy.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #4

ell Dennis, this Fleetwood is a 2014...and I'm new to RV'ing so I'm not sure if it has a converter but will ask the shop next time I take her in or call Fleetwood...I bought her slightly used..hope you are not close to those fires! Sure making it smoky down here
Thanks for advise
Lonnie and Allie, 2014 26' Fleetwood Searcher. Retired from US Army and the Boeing Co. Life Member: NRA, 4th US Cav Assco., 25 Infantry DIV. Member of AARP, AUSA, NCOIA, Purple Heart Assoc, DAV, Sgt Major US Army Brotherhood of Tankers.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonallie View Post
ell Dennis, this Fleetwood is a 2014...and I'm new to RV'ing so I'm not sure if it has a converter but will ask the shop next time I take her in or call Fleetwood...I bought her slightly used..hope you are not close to those fires! Sure making it smoky down here
Thanks for advise
One of the problems with batteries on units that have sat on the lot for some time is most of the time they are not plugged in and the batteries are allowed to run down. Each time a battery is discharged, it's life is reduced. If you purchased your coach recently, the dealer might spring for a new set of batteries. Don't ask, don't get.

It is quite smoky all right. It has settled in for a few days now. Hopefully it will clear but I think we're going to be plagued with it on and off until the snow flies.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:26 AM   #6

Batteries

Ya smoke has on big burn ban and even some smoke/BBQ places can't open..all of Western Wash is socked-in with smoke :(
I've had this RV for a year and my best friend (who I was with in Nam passed away and I bought it from his wife to help)...they had it for about a year and it was used for about a year as a rental.. thanks
Old 08-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a battery minder trickle charger on my 1998 Pace Arrow. The battery minder sends a spike charge that breaks up suflate coatings on the plates of the battery. It also does not overcharge the battery and cause it to run out of water. It keeps the battery fully charged and ready for use at all times. Does it work? The chassis battery in my motor home was put in in January 2007. It load tested good this spring. Just a standard Exide flooded cell car battery. (nothing fancy) I don't like to keep the motorhome plugged in all the time, because thunder storms and lightening strikes are bad news.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You need to keep the batteries charged when not in use or they will fail prematurely. Whether you do that with the onboard converter/charger or a battery maintainer is up to you and depends somewhat on the quality of the onboard charging system. A "smart" 3-stage system will do an excellent job, but some RVs, especially older ones, have single-stage systems that tend to overcharge if left on indefinitely.

If in doubt, buy a decent maintenance charger like the Battery Minder and use that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery