Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Battery Switches in my Southwind2004

I am a newbie ..Need to know about the position of battery switches in my mh. There are 2 rocker switches above the door ( in a small cabinet ) marked ''aux'' & ''main'' . , When I am plugged into shore power @ a campground what position should they be in ? when I am storing for 2-3 months ?
I put a 30amp socket on the side of the house where I store it
I have lost aux batteries after 2.5 years( kind of too soon) thinking I am charging them when I guess I am not ..any advice welcomed , Thank you .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Usually the isolation switches are called House and Chassis. They should be on when using the RV, off for storage. Since you have shore power, you can just leave them on. To check to see if your batteries are being charged, use a multimeter. 12 v batteries should read 12.7 v when charged and after surface charge has been absorbed. (2 hours after no use or charge) When charging, the voltage should go up to 13.4 v minimum, the voltage needed to overcome resistance. If your batteries don't show the voltage increase, you'll need to check to see what your RV was originally wired to do. Some don't charge chassis batteries on shore power, some don't charge house batteries on engine alternator. I think for full flexibility all batteries should charge when charging is available, engine, shore, or generator.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you ..It has been very confusing 3x times intermittently my larger slide would not come in ..last mobile guy told me something about those switches ..but I have been unclear ..all I know is I lost a day of work this last time, stranded 'till he could arrive ..next day !
Old 11-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdip View Post
Thank you ..It has been very confusing 3x times intermittently my larger slide would not come in ..last mobile guy told me something about those switches ..but I have been unclear ..all I know is I lost a day of work this last time, stranded 'till he could arrive ..next day !
Press the TOP of each of those two switches and then leave them alone. As long as you occasionally use the coach and/or have it plugged to shore power when not in use, all batteries should stay charged.

If you ever need to store the coach for an extended period without shore power, then you can press the BOTTOM of those switches and isolate the batteries from most current draws.

Your Southwind is definitely designed to work this way.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I love it when other people ask questions that I need an answer for too...thanks everyone for this string.

Bernie & Mac McDowell
2003 Bounder "Big Bertha"
mttop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to all , It is great to have this forum as a resource and all the experience at hand ..safe travels.

Tags
battery, southwind