Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 05:58 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might be over thinking this.......
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a bit of sarcasm.
Tomandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjimmy View Post
Sarah, This is easier: Lecture 16
• Newton’s Second Law for Rotation • Moment of Inertia • Angular momentum
Cutnell+Johnson: 9.4, 9.6
Newton’s Second Law for Rotation
Newton’s second law says how a net force causes an acceleration. We can apply this to a rotation. Let’s look at a toy airplane tied to the end of a string. We talked at length how the centripetal force is necessary to keep the plane moving in a circle. Centripetal force is all you need to keep the plane moving at a constant angular speed. However, if you want to change the angular speed (to get it going faster or slower), you need to apply a tangential force as well. In other words, you need to apply a torque.
Not only does the magnitude stay the same (in the absence of external torques), but the the axis of rotation must stay the same as well. This is what allowed the plane to keep track of which direction it’s moving. To tell all possible directions, the plane actually needs 3 gyroscopes. Nowadays, there’s this satellite system (the global positioning system) which you can even get in your cars, so the gyroscopes are obsolete...Need more?
According to my research which is extensive this only works if you drive in Eggshaped circles at a speed of 73.2491 km per hrs. in reverse !!!!

But aside from that, We have had this happen too on our 2000 Eagle. First time,
I just entered the Highway from a country road and l looked in My mirror and the guy beside me was flashing his lights and pointing at our coach, It was hard to see this one since it was the door right below my seat so it did not open wide and did not show in the mirror.
Nothing got lost, I think

The second time it was one of the big doors, they hinge on pentograph types and go up like the big Greyhound Bus cargo doors.
I have done all kinds of fixes and adjustments from replacing Latches because they are worn or even broken to adjusting catches and whole doors, the truth is that I am still not happy with all off the locks and catch mechanisms even after a year of work. It seems there is a never ending amount of flex that constantly changes things and everything has to be within 1/16" Or Closer! :bang head:

I'm just hoping I can keep the doors closed.

Regards,
Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:32 AM   #18

I had a bay door come open once then I adjusted all of them no problem since. Lesson learned one more thing to check make sure the plunger has a good hold.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #20

Baffled ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
BAFFLED ???? are you Clay?

Of coarse the first bit was reactive sarcasm to TomandJimmy's sarcasm!

As to the stupidity level of people to allow their cargo doors to fly loose ???? Sorry Clay we're not all perfect and so no I have no clue if it was locked or not, I do know that it was Closed, but I know that that means little since I tried in an experiment to close and lock everything and then move the coach to a somewhat unlevelled spot and then, I was Still able to open at least 4 doors on ONE SIDE!!!!!! So as the Coach moves enough on a imperfect road it's easy to see how this happens on 15 year old units. And as you may know the locks work 4 point cross ways but that's all irrelevant since the latches can move back free from the lock!

I already have some doors wired shut but that is a pain of coarse.
I now intend to install short safety chains backed up by short bungees this spring!
So that even in the event of a latch failure the door will stay closed!

Any other or better suggestions are very welcome. Does that Un baffle you somewhat?

Best Regards,
Ed
Old 01-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Two words-duct tape!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lol. Love it. But duct tape has a
residue.
Tomandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
On my previous coach, I was always popping a storage door open. Anytime I made a hard right turn, one of the middle bay doors would pop open. Seems that the sharp turn was flexing the frame enough to pop the bay door open. Tried adjusting the catch a few times, to no avail. Final solution was purchasing a pack of L brackets at Home Depot that had a hole on both sides of the bracket. Attached the bracket to the back of the plate on the inside of the bay door that covers the bay door handle. Mine had 4 screws holding the panel on. The holes in the L bracket were the same size as the screws. I then attached a bungee cord inside the storage bay, stretched it out to the point I could just barely attach it to the bracket, and closed the door. This applied enough pressure to the door that even if the latch failed when turning, it kept the door snug against the stop. Didn't have to worry about things flying out, or worse yet, coasting to a stop and have the door swing completely open then folded back as a car or truck passes by. Worked for me
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #24

You could put a magnetic catch on the bays that way if the when the rv goes in gear the doors lock closed...
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #25

that was Electro magnetic like used to hold doors/gates closed/locked
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandjimmy View Post
Lol. Love it. But duct tape has a
residue.
Goo Gone!
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Two words-duct tape!
I guess I am too OCD for that even with the Goo Gone (which I always carry) I want a Clean Safe Functional solution and that maybe replacing all the locks latches and catches!

I like the Electro magnet lock idea but even a small amount off research showed that it would be expensive and a lot more wiring then you think!

So I will persist and order the parts. I do like working on our coach to modify and improve it, some jobs are just more fun then others!
Hopefully Going FT 2016.

Regards,
Ed

Tags
door