Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #1

Already to leave late on Sunday to get home and get ready for work on Monday after a great long four day weekend...sure! We have all been there, squeezing the last hour or two from one of rving's wonderful times. It's time to go...you've paid for a late departure and now it is definately time to get on the road home, so you begin your ritual and now it's time to pull in your slides!
So first and second slides come in without incident. Push the button for the third slide, and for the first time in eight years....Nothing happens!!!! You spend the next ten minutes trying to figure why the slide won't budge..the DW not too happy because it was your idea for the late departure.
SOLUTION: On my Fleetwood, I tested my slowblow ceramic fuse on my bedroom fuse...it tested okay. Another ten minutes...tested the motor...the power...all good! Tested the slide again...no luck. Pulled the fuse again and tested it again...no good....then a minute later...GOOD!
Go figure??? Put in regular 20Amp fuse...all I had in that size but not a slowblow...
Apparently slowblow fuses can get tired over time and many uses.
Two messages from this experiences...a meter and an extra fuse can save your memoriesof a great weekend.
What other quick fixes have saved your rving experiences? Please share your elixirs.

The KISS, keep it simple stupid, was really meant to show that sometimes it is the simple things that can spoil things. A fuse! That still tests good....intermitently no less!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes

First off, nice trouble shooting and repair job. I have had similar fuss/electrical panel gremlins make you scratch your head.

Being in the service industry most of my life as a technician I have had to mentor many a fresh buck out of votech schools. I found that even though they had strong book skills that most had poor trouble shooting skills. This was to be expected however because of their lack of time being in the trench's. I used that term a lot during those years of schooling those kids.

KISS is a wonderful word and can have favorable results when used.

Just ask my wife

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Thanks for the post. We all can be reminded of KISS ( at least I can ) from time to time. As stated , good detective work. Glad you got going.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes. fuses (Not just slow blow) DO sometimes get "Tired" with age and can fail even though they appear to be perfectly good. I have seen that many times in my 60+ years on this earth.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Yes. fuses (Not just slow blow) DO sometimes get "Tired" with age and can fail even though they appear to be perfectly good. I have seen that many times in my 60+ years on this earth.
I concur with the quoted youngster, so to speak, :-)LOL, (@75+ years I can get away with this but 65+ could also mean 85 -still laughing) Anyway, I have seen many bulbs and fuses that look OK yet still don't work and some fuses fail when there has not been an over current situation. Often there can be a cold solder joint or some other imperfection that can cause a failure. If you can measure the voltage on either side of a fuse and it is the same, well that is good, and of course measuring the resistance works also but a cold joint can be intermittant also.

So just because the visual check indicates AOK, perhaps it is not.

In an emergency, I have used a slightly oversized fuse to get me out of a jam, but I have done so with exteme caution. I now carry a good supply of every type and size of every fuse I have in my vehicles.

Good trouble shooting by the OP.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

To clarify my earlier post of Tired Fuses, do understand the slowblow fuse was tested on a meter and showed bad....then good. When put to the test again it failed. Tested immediately after failure, and was bad on continuity check. Tested again a minute or two later and it was okay again. The point is that slow blow fuses use a bimetal strip, and that strip can wear out from repeated expansions. You would, of course, always use a meter to test for continuity.
I now have about ten slowblow fuses for next episode.
Thanks and happy camping!