Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Black tank indicator

We have 2016 Bounder 33c going on 2 yrs old. From the beginning the black tank reads 1/3 just after dumping. We know the sensors are not dirty, since it has been the same since we bought it 2 yrs ago. Hasn’t been a problem, but now that we are spending more days on road or camping, would like to know how to get it to read empty when I empty it. Has anyone corrected this problem?
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM travelers View Post
We have 2016 Bounder 33c going on 2 yrs old. From the beginning the black tank reads 1/3 just after dumping. We know the sensors are not dirty, since it has been the same since we bought it 2 yrs ago. Hasn’t been a problem, but now that we are spending more days on road or camping, would like to know how to get it to read empty when I empty it. Has anyone corrected this problem?

Have you checked for a broken or loose wire on the sensors? How often do you flush it?
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #3

We are observing the same thing and the sensors are not the typical screw into the tank wall, they are on the outside of the tank wall.

We have to dump the Grey water well before the Black gets full. One thing, if the Black Tank gets really full, you will know it because the Toilet pump will stop working.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
One thing, if the Black Tank gets really full, you will know it because the Toilet pump will stop working.
It is supposed not pump when full but i know some dont. Mine does not. I have seen it ump black water out the vent and onto my roof. Just be warned. The pipes make strange noises if the pump keeps pumping when it is full then soon after the black water shower will happen.

Our sensors have never read right in three years of full time. We are used to them not working. At this point we never even bother looking the display except to get an idea of how much fresh water is left.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #5

Mine too is quite weird. It shows at least 1/3 almost all the time. Every so often I will flush it and it will get to E but it is infrequent. I think it might be a piece of paper on the inside near the sensor that is throwing it off but don't really know (or care anymore). I called and asked where the sensors are mounted on the tank and never could get an answer. They sent the diagrams but for the black tank there are no locations called out for the sensors. I also too a peek behind the wet bay but it is difficult to see where the sensors might be, I know for my fresh water they are not located properly.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Many of the OEM gauges have a “zero” adjustment, look in your manual or google the gauge to see how to/if they can be adjusted.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

See attached drawing. As you can see the sensors are mounted outside. It's possible at so much crud has built up on the wall inside and opposite the sensor it's not reading. You need to check the wiring and then try a tank cleaner which takes several hours to work, if it works. Recently my gray water tank only measures 1/3 and not 2/3 or full so I need to take my own advise!

BTW these sensors measures the resistance of AIR and Liquids. When it "sees" a liquid,(a lower resistance than AIR) the resistance changes the hysteresis loop and the LED comes on.

Let us know what you find out. I might need your help!

Tank_Sensor_Wiring.pdf
Old 06-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #8

A friend was having the same issues and having problems with his macerator toilet. I suggested trying Happy Campers Extreem and then the Regular for a while.
After a few months his problems were solved simply by using the HC product as per the directions. He bought the big tub and uses it exclusively now.

http://1-happycamper.com/index.php

:: Happy Campers - Order, 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed ::
Old 06-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

We have used Happy Campers when we had a buildup issue on the Travel Supreme and the See-Level sensors were misreading.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #10

Black tank readings incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM travelers View Post
Does your black tank have a Black Tank Flush where you attach a hose to? I have a clear connector attached to my black tank hose. After emptying the black tank, I close the valve, then run water into the Black Tank Flush for 3 minutes. Open the valve and watch-more crap comes out. I do this 2 or 3 times. Then close the valve and open Gray water valve. You'd be surprised how much more comes out.
Kellyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
It is supposed not pump when full but i know some dont. Mine does not. I have seen it ump black water out the vent and onto my roof. Just be warned. The pipes make strange noises if the pump keeps pumping when it is full then soon after the black water shower will happen.

Our sensors have never read right in three years of full time. We are used to them not working. At this point we never even bother looking the display except to get an idea of how much fresh water is left.
Could be a faulty relay or sensor that shuts off the pump. I would contact Dometic for assistance
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #12

Mine is just the opposite. Black always says 0% and grey says 33% after dumping. I know its empty because i dont hear or feel anything coming out the sewer hose. I just use reverse math. Its says 33%, i knkw its 0%. When it says 67% i know its 33%, when it says 100% i know its 67%. That has worked for me
DonB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:24 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the same unit 2015 and had the same issue. I used Dawn down the toilet and sinks and shower once a month. Backflush each time. I had to back flush one time a lot to finally get it to read empty after using the dawn and driving for a little bit to slosh it around. Always leave a little water in the tank from once you empty completely. I usually use the back flush water for that once done.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #14

My gray tank has the sensors on the outside of the tank. Problem is grey tanks get a scum that accumulates on the tank walls. Have not found a solution yet. Thinking about something like Automatic Dishwasher Soap.
One of these days I think I will get some type of bore scope and try to get some detailed pics of the inner tank walls.
I will be sure to post them here!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, cat, tank