Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Black water system

I have a 2005 Pace Arrow, 36D. Was speaking to the owner of a 2007, 36D. I mentioned that shortly after purchasing our unit, we had an issue with the black water tank overfilling and backing up into the rear sink. Yes, our unit has a rear vanity sink that empties into the black water tank rather than the grey water tank. You have to remember that this model has a pressurized black water system. According to this fellow, his unit is equipped with an monitoring system that turns off the pressure pump when the black water tank is full. Thereby, preventing an overflow. Can anyone tell me whether my 2005 should have this feature or is it a feature added to coaches newer than mine?
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #2

Contact Fleetwood with your FIN (Fleetwood Identification Number) usually found under the driver's side window. They will be able to tell you, and can send you schematics of your plumbing and electrical systems.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You made me start wondering about mine so I ran the water in the rear bath from both the sink and shower. Both drain into my gray tank. They must have made a change for 09". I feel lucky.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
It's not unusual to have the lavatory sink drain into the black tank. It adds much needed liquid to that tank and slows the filling of the grey tank, saving it for the shower and kitchen sink.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The "pressurized system" is simply that on some models the rear toilet is not located over the black tank and uses a macarator pump to move the waste to the tank. If you have such a toilet, you would probably know it, since it you would here the pump run when you push the flush button.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The "pressurized system" is simply that on some models the rear toilet is not located over the black tank and uses a macarator pump to move the waste to the tank. If you have such a toilet, you would probably know it, since it you would here the pump run when you push the flush button.
O.K., that makes some sense. I couldn't imagine a pressurized waste system. If it was pressurized, how would a sink drain into it? It could cause a stinky geyser in the sink if the black tank was full and the macerater kept pumping!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BFlinn181 - bad choice of words. Because my toilet is midship and the black water tank is in the rear, the waste is in fact run thru an macarator pump located within the toilet. I am assuming that macarator casues enough pressure or force to move the waste to the tank. But this is the first RV toilet that I have seen that has standing water in the toilet. Just like your house toilet. I assume this has to do with moving the waste from the toilet to the tank. Whereas in most RV's the toilet is mounted over the tank and you step or push a level which opens the valve and starts water to flush the bowl.
But as to having the sink drain into the black water tank for additional water - not in my case. Because my toilet is fully automatic, it dumps over a gallon of water between the standing water when it refills the bowl after flushing and the water that is added during the flushing process. My orginal post was worded poorly. It should have said that when the black water tank is full, the macarator pump would not work, thereby preventing overfilling the blackwater tank. I was hoping to find someone with the same year coach that could confirm whether my year and model had such a feature. I will contact Fleetwood and see what I can get out of them.
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Grandpavan, I have the same system (SeaLand by Dometic) but it actually uses a vacuum pump to move the waste same as that on some boats. You are correct, there is no pressure in the tank, positive or negitive. The vacuum is only on the waste line and when the bowl is left dry. Mine will actually suck air and the pump continues to run. Is it possible that the vent line is common to both tanks? Might be why you had a issue at the sink. Positive side is, with this system, there isn't much chance getting fowl odors from the tank. Let us know what FW says.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water