RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
Black Water Tank

For those of you the know I struggle with my black water system on my 2014 35K.
I know that i am the only one.
I have learned a little more about the system. For those that are interested.
2 flushes the gauge should read 1/3 full.
10 flushes the gauge should read 2/3 full.
22 flushes the gauge should read full.
30 flushes the gauge should read over full.

This information is from technical support at Fleetwood. Most of you don't care but if you want to know if your gauge is reading correctly the above is the test that the shop will run.

Also we really like our coach.

I spent 45 years designing power systems and this one I have really struggled with.

Just returned from South Texas. Great trip. Coach ran great. All systems worked very well.

Of coarse the black water seems to fill too fast for what I think that it should. But none of the rest of you seem to have this problem so must be me.

Well have a great summer we have about 3500 miles planned for this year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
For those of you the know I struggle with my black water system on my 2014 35K.
I know that i am the only one.
I have learned a little more about the system. For those that are interested.
2 flushes the gauge should read 1/3 full.
10 flushes the gauge should read 2/3 full.
22 flushes the gauge should read full.
30 flushes the gauge should read over full.

This information is from technical support at Fleetwood. Most of you don't care but if you want to know if your gauge is reading correctly the above is the test that the shop will run.

Also we really like our coach.

I spent 45 years designing power systems and this one I have really struggled with.

Just returned from South Texas. Great trip. Coach ran great. All systems worked very well.

Of coarse the black water seems to fill too fast for what I think that it should. But none of the rest of you seem to have this problem so must be me.

Well have a great summer we have about 3500 miles planned for this year.
I don't know what your struggle is except that perhaps it fills up faster than you think it should?

The first thought would be the obvious that you have some big clumps of TP or other solid matter in there taking up space. The other that occurred to me was that the 2 RV toilets I have disassembled were designed that if the flush water valve were to leak, it would leak into the tank and not the floor. You would not see it leaking unless you somehow opened the main flush valve without triggering the water valve. I don't know if that made any sense.

I have problems with the black tank in my old bounder backing up way too soon but I am pretty sure I have a mess in there somewhere and keep forgetting to put ice cubes in it before we hit the road.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
The seals can leak and then the system pumps the water into the tank. If that is happening you would here the pump running. When the vacuum system comes on you will clearly here it even if you are outside the coach with the TV on.
All I was doing was passing on what Fleetwood told me to see if the sensors were working correctly. The test indicates that the system does not have any left over waste in the tank if the reading matches the flush test.
The problem with the new system is you can not get ice into it. There is a vacuum pump between the stool and the tank. You don't want to put ice into the system it may damage the impeller on the pump.
Thank you for the input.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jim, am I correct, Fleetwood says 1.9 gal per flush? (42 capacity/22 flushes)= 1.909 gal per flush. This I assume is if you only hold the foot lever 3 sec, as suggested in the mfg literature. I guess I will fill up black tank quicker as I hold the lever longer for solids and fill the bowl afterwards. I will begin following the quote, "if it is yellow, let it mellow. If it is brown, flush it down."
Heavy-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. You know I don't know how much water is in the flush. But I follow the same rule if it is solids I put a little more water in by lifting the foot flusher and then flush. I don't think that there is almost two gallons in the stool. I know were the level is I will measure it.
I think that there is normally between two and two 1/2 quarts in the stool. To fill all 42 gallons would be about 65 flushes according to FW.
The coach is in the shop now when I get it back I am going to figure this out. I may have to site it the coach with FW on the phone to get it in my mind.
I think my problem is I worry too much once it start turning red.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The SeaLand VacuFlush system was originally designed to use on boats and normally uses about a 1.5 quarts per flush making their small black water tanks work for extended trips. I also have the system with a 42 gal black tank. With just the wife and me, we can go 7 days before dumping when we make an effort to conserve, if not, i'm full in 5 days.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
chuckftboy thank you for the information.
I am going to assume that the reading are not accurate and dump every 3 to 5 days on the next trip.
Service said that the tank is clean and they put a little over 42 gallons in the tank.

Tags
tank, water