Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
sdc

Boulder headlights

I have very dim headlights on a 1997 Bounder, I have replaced the headlight lenses and checked the grounds. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on this issue or maybe some type of replacement or upgrade. Thanks
sdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdc View Post
I have very dim headlights on a 1997 Bounder, I have replaced the headlight lenses and checked the grounds. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on this issue or maybe some type of replacement or upgrade. Thanks
Have you replaced the bulbs? I would try replacing one of them first to see. You can also get an off road bulb for your headlight. They tend to be 40% brighter and not legal for the road but identical in appearance. Make sure that they are aimed correctly though. Don't want to blind oncoming drivers.
Consider adding a set of driving lights for additional light.
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a well known problem.
Mainly caused by using small gauge wire and not having a relay in the circuit.
The bulb ends up with about 10V instead of 12V.

It is pretty easy to install a relay and larger wires.
The trick is using a DPDT relay, and you should wire it so that the DRL still work, and then the relay is activated when you turn on your headlights.

Search this sight for headlight fix, and there is a post I made on how to do this, plus a lot of other posts.

This post contains schematics:
Bounder headlight fix
Regards,

Dan
Old 02-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdc View Post
How many volts to the headlights? Did you measure? Never heard of a Boulder model! LOL
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights