Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

Bounder Handling Issues Fix?

I am looking for any suggestions to fix handling issues on a 36S Bounder m/h. I am considering a Steering Stabilizer and a new rear Anti Sway Bar. Any opinions?
ehfarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hi there. Welcome to iRV2.

If you do a search on CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) you'll get days worth of reading. I'd start there.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #3

I imagine the more experienced members will have much to offer such as have you checked wheel alignment, tire pressure, etc. You might want to provide additional detail on the handling characteristics you want to fix. Finally if your Bounder has a Ford F53 chassis search these forums for Cheap Handling Fix. I am a rookie so I can't be of much help yet.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did two things to my 35K, 2015. I took it to a guy in Vineland NJ. who did some shimming of the suspension and really tightened up the steering...then I added a steering stabilizer to handle the road ruts and truck passing movement and it is much better... of course I added the 5 Star system which made a great driving adjustment to the engine. There is always something to add to our units to help.
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

My Bounder is a 35E on a Ford chassis. I have done all the above plus rear track bar (front track bar OEM) and Koni Shocks. Also I moved as much weight to between the axles as I could. With a lot of weight in the storage compartments behind the rear axle it contributes to the yaw of the MH when pushed by passing trucks or wind. I keep the fresh water tank full, more weight between the axles moves the center of gravity forward, more weight on the steer tires (don't overload). My Bounder handles very well with this setup. Start with a 4 corner weigh, adjust tire pressure, front end alignment, Cheap Handling Fix. Do one thing at a time until you are satisfied. Just my $.02. Good luck.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
CHF is the way to go to help with the handling issues. From there it is your preference as to what else you want to do. I did the CHF with the Hellwig adjustable links on the front and replaced the rubber bushings with Polyurethane Bushings on each sway bar. Experimented with tire pressures for ride and handling plus load configurations. The lower you can keep your coaches CG the better handling will be. So load heavy items in the basement if you can. Semis passing have different effects on the coach depending on how they are designed. Some push more than others but after the CHF the movement is minimal than before. That's all I did to my coach, no additional trac bars or stabilizers. Just the CHF, Poly Bushings, Hellwig links, and tire pressures. Semi's don't bother me anymore. Take it one step at a time beginning with the CHF until you find your comfort zone.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:56 AM   #7

What is chf I searched for cheap handling fix on here and this is the only post. I have a 98 34j bounder that walks all over the road. Brand new to m/h's
nivekj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:11 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Bounder Handling Issues Fix?

Welcome to the forum.
This link has a bunch of previous threads on this
.Here ya go.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chea...com&gws_rd=ssl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivekj8 View Post
What is chf I searched for cheap handling fix on here and this is the only post. I have a 98 34j bounder that walks all over the road. Brand new to m/h's

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:40 AM   #9

Thank you!
nivekj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehfarnham View Post
I am looking for any suggestions to fix handling issues on a 36S Bounder m/h. I am considering a Steering Stabilizer and a new rear Anti Sway Bar. Any opinions?
I have.a 2008 Bounder 35h (the most top heavy MH on the planet).. Got tired of white knuckling it around curves, so I caved in and had a steering stabilizer and rear anti-sway bar installed. Honestly? The BEST money I've ever spent! Now it hugs the road like there's glue on the tires. I never know if it's windy until I go outside and the days of worrying about passing Semi's are long gone. I fly up and down canyons towing my car and I very rarely need to pull over to let cars pass. Couldn't be happier!
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder