Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #1

Bounder Owners

I have a 28T Bounder and am having generator and battery problems. I accidently (I think) pulled a plug loose, it has 6 pins and white end) and now my gen batteries aren't charging. I traced the other end on the wires(approx12 to14ga) and they go to the first 6v battery. When I charge the batteries up it runs fine for about 20 minutes. Does anyone know where this plug connects to and is it part of the charging system. It appears so. I can start the motorhome but the gen will not start unless I recharge those 6v batteries. Could my batteries be bad or my trickle charger in the inverter not be working. I didn't have a problem till it sat awhile and I think I pulled those wires loose in that plug. I am disabled and it is real hard to get down under the front seat but I just can't see where this plugs to ....Any help happy Bounder owners would be appreciated.......Randy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Chez : need a litt;e more info - where did it come lose from - what area - under the hood, under the dash, if so which side - did you say it came loose from under the seat?
next - there are two batteries in your coach - one - the 12V engine battery - is charged by the alternator (I am generalizing) and is the one that starts the engine. The other battery - I shall call it the coach battery (likely 2 batteries in series) is the one that runs all the 12 v stuff like the lights, fridge controls, water pump, etc Which are you referring to when you say GEN BATTERIES?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #3

NBounder, I have two 6v batteries and the 12v for the engine all hooked together. The plug thing I am talking about was under the dash about by the radio. It didn't feel like I pulled anything but it is under there not hooked to anything. It looks like some after market type connector but goes to the first 6v battery. I guess I should have asked how these batteries (coach) re-charged, thru the main heavy battery cables or some other means. Does anyone else have extra wires hooked to their first 6v battery? I thought the converter also has a trickle charger, is that correct? Oh and by the way all the pins in the two wires off that battery are hot, it looks like with a tester that some are slightly hotter than others. Hope that helps. I charged up the batteries again and am taking them to one of the parts store and get load tested. I don't know how old they are. Hope to hear from you soon, we want to go out one more time and I need the generator........Thanks Chez
Old 11-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are no wires under the dash that are concerned with charging your batteries. If you have any small wires attached directly to the positive post of your (first 6V battery) they have been added by the previous owner. I suspect they (it) was for powering a CB radio or some other item that has been removed. Remove or tape up the wires and forget them.

Your batteries are charged through the BCC which is located on the outside firewall (under the hood) directly in front of the driver position. There are relays and solenoids inside this box that control battery connection and charging from either/both the converter and the engine alternator.

You mentioned in your previous post that all three batteries are hooked together. This is NOT how it should be wired. The batteries (chassis and house) should only be connected together through the circuits of the BCC.

BTW - you do NOT have a trickle charger and you probably do not have an inverter.
What you have is a converter. It charges your batteries when shore or generator power is available, assuming everything is functional and you have the battery disconnect switches set properly..
Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. I took the dash apart and could'nt find anything and I suspect you are right, a CB or something.
I have a converter w/charger. Can you explain what you mean by charging and having the battery disconnect switches set properly? Should you stay plugged in to shore power, do you turn main battery switch off or both.
Anyone found a place you can get Onan parts quickly? I need a fuel filter badly. I have to keep taking it off anywhere from 10 to 35 minutes and clean it out.
To me it seems like when running the generator it takes down the charge in the two 6v batteries. Anybody have any opinion/suggestions on that.
Sorry for all the questions, first newer motorhome with all this extra "stuff"
Be good and be safe........Randy
Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Chezbo... what year is your Bounder?
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quick note - remove the fiel filter and take it to a parts store. There is a 'Ford' part that is identical, with better filtering specs, so the book says.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #8

Rick, it is listed as 28 1/2 ft, 1993 with 30,000 miles. Nbounder, I will do that and take the filter to the parts store and see iff they can match it. Mine is definitely shot and also pick up some plugs while I am at it. Ready to camp and fish, we have 2 days of great weather here in Utah and it will probably be the last till spring. I live at 4400 ft elevation. Thanks for all your help help............Randy
Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chezbo, When you are plugged into shore power, or running the generator, your battery disconnect switches should be OFF. (That is to say, the batteries should be connected).

Please answer the following questions...

Do you have a multi-meter? Do you know how to use it?
Did you find the BCC (Battery Control Center) in the front hood area?

When/if you find it, open the cover and look for two circuit breakers along the inside of the box (probably along the bottom edge). They will look something like this and will have a small black plunger in the base. Press the plunger to reset the breaker(s).

Let us know if this doesn't help. There are other ideas to try.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezbo View Post
I need a fuel filter badly. I have to keep taking it off anywhere from 10 to 35 minutes and clean it out.
If it keeps clogging up you might want to check the tank, and the line from the tank to the filter - you might have some serious contamination that needs to be addressed. Of course a new filter won't hurt, but if you've got crap in the tank it'll only clog up the new filter too.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
If it's a 93 and never had the fuel line changed that's probably where the crud is coming from... deteriorating fuel line. You'll have to drop the tank to replace the line... a pain but doable.

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder