Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
BR Ceiling fan in Amer Revolution

Has anyone had a ceiling fan installed in above the bed in the Revolution? Dealer said it was possible and that they recess it into the ceiling clearance, but I am looking for someone with first hand experience and maybe some pic's.

Thanks

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ceilings differ. Which year Revolution? And which floor plan? You probably have a step-up somewhere over the engine, and that can bring your head or arms (if lifted) pretty close to any fan, even a "ceiling hugger" type. Placing the fan over the bed mostly keeps it out of the way, but you may have an a/c return or outlet there.

My '04 American Tradition has a factory installed 12v ceiling fan and we love it, but I have to be a bit careful when accessing our rear wardrobe closet. The fan is close enough at one corner of the bed that I can unintentionally touch a fan blade. And when I put on a pullover shirt, I sometimes raise my arms enough to get clipped. A smaller diameter fan reduces the risk of this, at the cost of less air movement. Ours is a 42" model.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
This was a Fan Project (click text) in my Motor Home, I was told by American Coach my Dream would not have had a fan from the factory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #4

I installed a 12V fan (reversible with remote control) in our 2003 Revolution in March, 2013. Blade length is critical, so I took a number of measurements and went with the 36" blades (cherry blades with satin nickel base turned out to be a very good match for our cabinets, hardware,etc.). Have not had any problem being "nicked" by the blades. If the fan is running, I turn it off if I have to go the rear closet or need to move around much back there. When it's running, the sound and air movement seem to get our attention if we're back there, so caution just seems to come automatically. I have bumped the blades several times when it's stationary, but no big deal at all. The fan moves an amazing amount of air and really helps. We both absolutely love the thing.

Don't know if you're the handy type. I will tell you that it is a fair amount of work to install one these things....and do it right. The thick foam in the ceiling you''ll be working in seems to end up everywhere, so it can be a bit messy during installation. Fan placement is absolutely critical so that the blades do not contact anything with the BR slide in. Another issue is locating a convenient 12V source for power. That turned out to be a significant issue for me.

Have no idea how much a Dealer would charge to do this. I suspect that it won't be cheap. I can send you pics of mine if you would like. It may take a a week or two to get them to you since the coach is in storage and my schedule is really jammed up right now. Let me know....

You might also do a forum search on the subject. I have seen a number or articles here that may also give you some additional insight. Good luck....hope these comments were helpful.

Goo
Old 12-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks everyone,

We are looking at the 42G and were told by Tom Johnson that AR would install and recess the fan into the foam. This is just one of the features differences between Newmar and AR that are keeping us on the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
Has anyone had a ceiling fan installed in above the bed in the Revolution? Dealer said it was possible and that they recess it into the ceiling clearance, but I am looking for someone with first hand experience and maybe some pic's.

Thanks

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have an OEM 12v fan over the bed. It works fine, but we seldom use it. Normally we have shore power and would rather use the CG's electricity than our 12v power.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
We are looking at the 42G and were told by Tom Johnson that AR would install and recess the fan into the foam. This is just one of the features differences between Newmar and AR that are keeping us on the fence.
Really,
the fan is the difference of getting an American over the much better built and far superior quality of a Newmar.....get the Newmar , you'll never be sorry...make the other choice...oh well...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We have an OEM 12v fan over the bed. It works fine, but we seldom use it. Normally we have shore power and would rather use the CG's electricity than our 12v power.
Misconception. The 12v power is still coming from the shore power as it source - your onboard inverter/converter/charger is making 12v DC from 120vac shore power as needed. Turn the fan on! By the way, all your lighting is 12v too, and many other things in the coach.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, fan