Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

Brakes on a 1994 Pace Arrow 37J

I have a 1994 Pace Arrow 37J with a tag axle,powered by a GM 454. I have replaced the front and drive axle pads, rotors are true with no pulsating.The coach just does not stop very well. Has been this way since I bought it from the dealer 8 years ago. I have to put a lot of pressure on the pedal for a hard stop. I don't think the tires would ever lock up. Are there brakes on the tag axle? I have had the master cylinder replaced under warranty for a leak. I thought that may have been the problem, but brakes are the same.I have also replaced 2 of the calipers for sticking. After using the brakes on a short trip, the fronts brakes will start to squeal a little coming to a stop. I drove tractor trailer for over 30 years, so I know not to heat the brakes up too much and downshift the trans. going down hills. I have come down a few grades where I was lucky to stop at the bottom or a light. I complained to the dealer when I bought the coach, and he said the brakes are fine. I drove enough trucks and coaches to know there is a problem. Has anybody else had this problem.
JBogdon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 01:17 AM   #2

Does your coach have a hydrobooster? If so, check your ps belt for looseness or glazing. Yup, your tag should have brakes. The tag brakes may use there own master cyl assy. look under coach between tag and rear axle. When you installed your new disk pads did your brakes get any better or did they get worse. Different pads are made of different materials and have a different friction coefitiant. You can see the coefitiant rating on a painted stamp on the side of the friction material of the pads. Look for a nonmetallic pad with a higher number stamped on the pad.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi JBogdo45 and Welcome to the Forum!

When I got my Ford chassis motorhome with a tag axle, it was scary in even normal stops. I replaced the master cylinder, all 4 calipers, all new heavy duty pads and new flex hoses (5). Dave is right about the Hydro booster, it is a critical piece of the puzzle.

When I looked into the tag axle brakes they were completely nonfunctional. My tag uses hydraulic drum brakes activated by engine vacuum. Some tag axle chassis from our era used electric-magnetic like a travel trailer. Need to do some poking around under there to see which tag brake system you have.

Once I got the tag brakes rebuilt and working it actually stops pretty good when you consider it is a 9 ton bread truck.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #4

1994 Pace Arrow brakes

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I will crawl under the beast and see what is going on. I did have to replace a rubber brake line on the front caliper, hardly any brake fluid was getting through.Might be a good idea to replace the other 3 and rest of the calipers.One of my friends was telling me if I have a certain tag axle setup,you have to pull the axles to do the brakes. So the brake hydro boost will run off one of the fan belts? How do you know if it is working or not? Again, thanks for the help!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #5

Operation, Diagnosis and Repair of Hydro-Boost Power Assist Systems: Brake and Front End
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #6

Brakes on 94 Pace Arrow

The brakes are working on the tag axle,but would like to check them. Mine has drum brakes on the tag, and looks like an oil seal right in the middle. I saw that and didn't go any farther. How do you get that brake drum off? I have a GM chassis with the 454 FI.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, I would expect they are drums but we still don't know if you have hydraulic or electric brakes on the tag. Are there a pair of wires entering the back plate or a hydraulic line - either rubber flex or small, solid steel tube?

If they are hydraulic like mine, the drum is mounted like a front brake from on an older American car or truck. The center dust cap does not pry off but is threaded on. Under that, remove the cotter pin from the castle nut or nut retainer then the nut. The drum will pull right off but watch for the outer bearing falling out. Don't damage it.

FYI, the tag axles on older gassers were not installed by the chassis maker but added by the coach builder, Fleetwood in your case, so it was up to the coach builder to select what tag axle to use. Tag axles were usually made by Dexter and they have the info on the brakes. Is your tag suspension steel springs or big rubber block assemblies?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #8

1994 Pace Arrow brakes

They are hydraulic. I have the rubber block MOR/ryde suspension, which I have already changed. That job was not fun.
So I imagine the dust cap is a regular right hand thread, so the hub should be fairly easy to get off as long as the brake shoes are not imbedded into the drum. Are these self adjusting?
So I got in my new calipers, rubber brake lines, and severe duty brake pads. Ready to do my brakes as soon as it stops raining around Buffalo NY.
Thanks for all the info.
Hopefully I can get the tag brake drums off to see how they look and get the shoes ordered for it. JBogdon
Old 05-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't believe the tag drums are self adjusting. My dust caps are plastic and I munged one up trying to remove it but parts are not hard to get.
If you need more help & info, just holler.

Tags
brake, brakes, pace arrow