Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
bjo

Braking system

I'm going to be towing a Jeep Grand Cheroakee with my 38 Fleetwood Bounder Deisal, do I need a seperate breaking system.
is there any way I can use my Jeep breaking system.
I do have a 4x4 towable Jeep
any info will be helpful
Thanks
BJO
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #2

Breaking systems are handy in keeping the toad behind you where it belongs. And some states require them. Camping world has several types for sale. It also helps during non normal breaking situations where some one pulls in front of you and you really want to stop fast. Considering that you have a $35,000 car and a $100,000+ coach the price is not that bad.

Bounder 38v Diesel.

pcurt
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjo
I'm going to be towing a Jeep Grand Cheroakee with my 38 Fleetwood Bounder Deisal, do I need a seperate breaking system.
is there any way I can use my Jeep breaking system.
I do have a 4x4 towable Jeep
any info will be helpful
Thanks
BJO
Why would you want a system to "break" your nice Jeep.

A supplemental "braking" system is highly recommended though. There are many systems falling into two basic categories. Portable ( Brake Buddy, etc.) and permanent (SMI, etc.). Either type "uses" your Jeep's brakes by activating the brake pedal of the Jeep in response to application of the MH's brakes. I have an SMI system installed in my Jeep Wrangler. A flip of a switch in the Jeep and I'm ready to go (or stop ).

IMHO, you definitely need a supplemental brake system towing a relatively heavy vehicle like your Grand Cherokee.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #4

I just installed an M&G Brake system on my Jeep. Easy to install and works great!!
dukenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
bjo

OFFTHEWALL..
question on your "SMI ECT" what is this and were do you get one? I like the idea of your were u just Flip a Switch and off you go... in a ball park Figure about how much is something like this.
Thanks
Bjo
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjo View Post
OFFTHEWALL..
question on your "SMI ECT" what is this and were do you get one? I like the idea of your were u just Flip a Switch and off you go... in a ball park Figure about how much is something like this.
Thanks
Bjo
Check out this post http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2007-...html#post74904 from back in 2007 when I installed the SMI system in my Wrangler.

I think the SMI Stay-N-Play Duo cost me about $900.00. As you can see from the post, I installed it myself.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote