Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #1

Buying Advice - 1999 American Eagle

So I looked at, drove, and put a deposit on a 1999 American Eagle yesterday. Here's the coach:

Consignment Used RVs - REPO RV - Class A Diesel, Class A Gas, Travel Campers, 5th Wheel Trailers - RVMAX.us

I'm buying for less than the asking price, including six brand new Michelin tires installed.

Thoughts?

This will be our first Class A DP after driving a 1995 gas Class C for five years and 30k. I've done a ton of research, looking at coaches on-line, visiting forums, etc. I'm really sold on the concept of buying an older high-line coach rather than a newer entry-level or mid-level coach. It's really easy to see the quality of the AE compared to many other brands. My wife and I (and our four-month old daughter ) all like the floor plan and the furnishings. It drove wonderfully.

I went through the coach with a clipboard and a PDI checklist and checked the systems as best I could. It was winterized and my time was somewhat limited, so I was not able to check each and every system. As I'm in Ohio and the coach is in SC, what would be the best way to do that? Should I ask the seller to take it to a Cummins shop? Hire an independant RV inspector? Both? I'm very mechanically inclined, but diesels are new to me, and I'm perfectly fine with investing a few hundred dollars to inspect a $50k plus purchase.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Hatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Hi Mark,

Have seller, fax or email records and look through them for engine maintenance and then call the shop that did the work. I would buy this one quickly since it is in pristine condition.
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

No records, unfortunately -- the coach was bought at auction. Interestingly, I've been researching and shopping for RVs for about 6 months, watching eBay, the on-line classified sites, Craigs List, and local dealers, and so far I've run across exactly one coach that had records from the previous owner!

That's why I'm planning on paying for an inspection.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Mark,

If you have any pull in your States Dept of Motor Vehicles,
use it to find out who the owner was and he will be of great help.
As previously stated; go for it, it's beautiful.

2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #5

I bought a used 96 Eagle years ago and still miss it today! They are solid built and wonderful to drive.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #6

Hatman,

I gave you some input on another forum, but here I can see the coach and floor plan.

It is the same as our 98 and we have found it to be very comfortable while parked or rolling down the road.

She looks to be in excellent shape and I know you are proceeding with an RV tech to inspect.

They are pricing it way below market value......I would move quickly but then again I am certainly not impartial when it comes to these vintage Eagles.

Bought ours 3 years ago and like this coach it was a bank repo with no records.

Everything worked and it has been a trouble free machine for 3 years and 25K miles. Both American Coach and Spartan treat you like you just bought a $500K coach from them!

Since you only got to drive it for a brief period of time, here are a few other things that will be helpful for you to know:

-Independent Front Suspension minimizes the effect of cross winds and passing semi's and tour buses

-Acoustical and thermal insulation is excellent. It is a very quiet and comfortable drive in any weather condition.

Just watched the video...she is in beautiful condition.

I hope it all works for you!

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Cummins C8.3 325 HP
Allison 3060 Six Speed Transmission
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #7

Here's the latest update:

Inspector spent the better part of the entire day with the coach (Affordable RV Inspection Service, Wayne Delisse, Fort Mill, SC 704-975-4034). He's going to e-mail the entire report and photos when he gets back in the office tomorrow morning, but he uncovered a few areas of concern:

1) Slide sticking. This didn't happen when I saw the coach, but he had problems with the slide extending. Said it would start, move a few inches, then stop. Press the switch again, then same thing. After a couple of times, it would then extend all the way. Said it was probably the switch, the control board, or the motor, none of which was too much $$$.

2) Hydraulic fluid leaking from a rear jack line. Jack operation not affected.

3) Transmission cooler line leaking.

4) Fridge not operating on LP.

Overall, the inspector was very impressed with the coach, and felt it had been well-maintained. There were a few small signs of past water incursion, but nothing major and nothing current, and not out of the ordinary for a 13-year-old coach.

The seller said he will take the coach to shop and take care of the above items, and he still needs to get the new tires installed. So once that's done, I should be driving to SC to pick up my new (to me) coach.

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No Biggies and with new tires and repairs, it will be as good as new!

THE GENERAL
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine