Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Can't open door!!

Hello
I need help please! 2006 fleetwood providence. The door was not locked. It will not open from the outside. I've tried using the keys to no avail.
Please help.
Thanks
James
94bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Try pressing on the door as you pull the latch. The door latches are usually set tightly so the gasket seals and the door doesn't rattle. My wife can't open the door sometimes, but I find if I push hard next to the latch it loosens enough it opens.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Try pressing on the door as you pull the latch. The door latches are usually set tightly so the gasket seals and the door doesn't rattle. My wife can't open the door sometimes, but I find if I push hard next to the latch it loosens enough it opens.
If that does not work, try taking the phillips head screws out of the inner lock cover. Work the handle and see if all the parts are working correctly.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for your concern. We had a locksmith come out and open the driver side window. We crawled in and finally got it open from the inside. We took the inside door cover off and saw that some of the parts were worn and would not work properly. Very poor design! The tolerance was way too small because of the little wear that was shown. We took out the main handle opening parts and just used the dead bolt to open/close the door to get home and order the parts.
Thanks,
James
94bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Of the 2 locks on my Fleetwood.
I now only use the dead bolt for locking.

The bottom flip lock locked me out 2 times and a lock smith was needed the first time.
Since then, one window is left unlocked for easier entrance if needed.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Are you sure the door locked? Often our latch seems locked but it's just the latch is really under pressure from the surrounding gasket. If I push on it with one hand the effort to pull the handle gets much easier. Reminds me of the old 'pennying' a door trick in college.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

so it took two service guys and a locksmith. ultimately we had to pry open a side compartment that leads to the underside of the bed in the rear which i had to climb through to get inside. It seems that the deadbolt on the main door sprung closed somehow. looks like good sam or someone is going to have to pay for the busted lock to the side compartment that got cracked when they had to break into the side hatch. I wonder if I have to file a claim now with good sam. I video'd with my phone the locksmith unlocking so they can see that the guy they sent out is the one who did it even if he was only contracted as a local locksmith.
chadlevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We had the same problem.

We were at Suncoast Designers to have two windows repaired.

We had to break a window to get back in. Couldn't have happened at a better location and time.

Our door was not locked, and I had the keys in my pocket.

Turned out the allen screw that locked the outside latch rod to the release mechanism had come lose.

We now leave a window unlocked

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chad, contact FW with your issues they respond. Document your conversations and follow with an e mail to the customer relations rep.. Your not alone with new coach bugs and if you've spent anytime viewing owners forum you'll see this is an industry problem from top of the line down. Your biggest issue is Camping World, trust me contact FW ASAP insist on a different warranty provider or consider taking it back to FW they will address every issue. CW's differ as far as quality but the majority have very poor techs with little to no RV knowledge or adequate training. Good luck to you.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #10

Can't Open Door

This has happened to me twice. Luckily I had the keys in my pocket. I only use the deadbolt lock now to lock door. The lock that locks the handle somehow drops down and locks the lever from working on it's own. I always have the keys in my pocket and I used a tie-wrap to hold the lever up. I wrapped it around the main lever and secondary lock. So far so good.
Hope this helps
DaveMarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Chad, contact FW with your issues they respond. Document your conversations and follow with an e mail to the customer relations rep.. Your not alone with new coach bugs and if you've spent anytime viewing owners forum you'll see this is an industry problem from top of the line down. Your biggest issue is Camping World, trust me contact FW ASAP insist on a different warranty provider or consider taking it back to FW they will address every issue. CW's differ as far as quality but the majority have very poor techs with little to no RV knowledge or adequate training. Good luck to you.
^x1000 on CW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #12

I had the samething happen the outside handle did nothing. I was able to break in thru the window without breaking anything within 10 minutes. My problem was the outside handle has a arm that moves the lock mechanism it was bent straighten it good as new.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #13

The door on my Providence is clearly labeled "Atwood" in the same font that I have seen on my water heater. I really wasn't aware that Fleetwood didn't make the entrance doors to many of our coaches.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #14

Perhaps some of us should pull our door latchs & inspect for wear? Leaving a window unlocked sounds like a real good idea! I think I'll inspect mine B4 I'm left out in the cold! LOL
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door