RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
CLR

Carefree Freedom Freestyle Awning Issue

I have a small issue, the awning will not open.
Fuse is good and the wires I can get to have good continuity.
I have tried to go in reverse of the manual retract, but it only moves a little and not enough to get the center of the awning moving.
I think a wire was pinched in half last time it rolled up( just a gut feeling).
Does anyone have an idea besides pulling out the whole motor?
Thanks in advance,

BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
CLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR View Post
I have a small issue, the awning will not open.
Fuse is good and the wires I can get to have good continuity.
I have tried to go in reverse of the manual retract, but it only moves a little and not enough to get the center of the awning moving.
I think a wire was pinched in half last time it rolled up( just a gut feeling).
Does anyone have an idea besides pulling out the whole motor?
Thanks in advance,
I had a Carefree awning issue and didn't seem to have power at the motor; no response then blown fuses. I tried various things without success. I eventually disconnected the motor wires, then connected a 12 v power source directly to the motor and it fired right up and opened and closed. I then knew it was a wiring issue and not the motor. Took me a long time to trace it to a loose wire that had come out of a wire harness inside the wall of my bathroom behind the cabinets! All fixed now.

iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #3

My carefree awning closes way to easily. The slightest breeze or even closing the door will cause it to automatically close. Any idea how to adjust the sensitivity?
Shawn143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn143 View Post
My carefree awning closes way to easily. The slightest breeze or even closing the door will cause it to automatically close. Any idea how to adjust the sensitivity?
In mine there is a small black box motion sensing unit by the motor. It has five wires coming out of it. It could be it needs to be replaced if yours is like mine.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:28 AM   #5
CLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn143 View Post
There is no adjustment for the bounce switch. Once the awning starts bouncing
it closes. I agree way to soon
BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
Old 12-07-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

For the OP
I've had my Carefrees not open due to tree sap or whatever else was on the surface gluing them stuck. Even small debris on the top of the awning can sorta wedge them closed too. If you have someone hit the switch while your manually helping the awning extend the dirty awning can be overcome. The get a hose and wash the awning material.

Look carefully at the way your carefree is built, The lack of support arms make them very susceptible to structural damage in the wind and rain. I recently helped a fellow RV'er get his collapsed awning in after a rainfall overfilled it. If you call Carefree they do have a less sensitive movement detector available but I elected not to use it.
If you leave your awning out and leave the coach that movement switch is what will save your awning from extensive damage.

On a 2017 35K the awning wiring is the small box inside the middle bathroom medicine cabinet on the upper right. The awning gets it power from the BCC box located in the inverter compartment next to the entry door. There is a schematic attached to the back of the BCC door to tell you which circuit and fuse it is.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
CLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
For the OP
I've had my Carefrees not open due to tree sap or whatever else was on the surface gluing them stuck. Even small debris on the top of the awning can sorta wedge them closed too. If you have someone hit the switch while your manually helping the awning extend the dirty awning can be overcome. The get a hose and wash the awning material.

Look carefully at the way your carefree is built, The lack of support arms make them very susceptible to structural damage in the wind and rain. I recently helped a fellow RV'er get his collapsed awning in after a rainfall overfilled it. If you call Carefree they do have a less sensitive movement detector available but I elected not to use it.
If you leave your awning out and leave the coach that movement switch is what will save your awning from extensive damage.

On a 2017 35K the awning wiring is the small box inside the middle bathroom medicine cabinet on the upper right. The awning gets it power from the BCC box located in the inverter compartment next to the entry door. There is a schematic attached to the back of the BCC door to tell you which circuit and fuse it is.
This is what I found in the small cabinet
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet Wire (2).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	228411
I have a heaver Red wire coming out of the wire bundle for the awning. It is not connected. I can not find a place it should of been connected to. Did you find any loose wires?
BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
Old 12-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
This is what I found in the small cabinet
Attachment 228411
I have a heaver Red wire coming out of the wire bundle for the awning. It is not connected. I can not find a place it should of been connected to. Did you find any loose wires?
I would go check the power wires at the awning motor...usually black and red. Check for power at the motor. If you aren't getting power at the motor itself, you then know that the problem is somewhere between the battery and the motor and can start investigating. If no power at the motor then trace wires from battery, to fuse, to switch, to carefree motor. You can also get a wire tracer if needed.

https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html
Old 12-09-2018, 04:56 AM   #9

I have since traded in that coach so I can't be of much help anymore. Sorry. According to my copy of the carefree wiring schematic there are two red wires coming off the awning. One is the power for the awning motor the other is for the LED light switch. Only suggestion I can think of is go to the BCC and see what color the awning power wire is there, When working on my awning that is where I would disconnect the awning power when I needed to. There was a separate wire and fuse there for the awning.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
CLR

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet Wire (2).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	228489
So far this is what i have found. In the small cabinet in half bath, all wires are connected except one 14 gauge Red wire. It looks like it was used for testing and I do not see a connection that it pulled out of.
Also when hot wiring the motor I do hear a click or two but get no movement.
My thinking of pulling the motor next as it seems something has to be bound up.
Headed to Harbor Freight for the cable tracker
BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
Old 12-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #11

May I suggest you go to the Carefree web site. They have pretty good installation and troubleshooting manuals available for download.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Attachment 228489
So far this is what i have found. In the small cabinet in half bath, all wires are connected except one 14 gauge Red wire. It looks like it was used for testing and I do not see a connection that it pulled out of.
Also when hot wiring the motor I do hear a click or two but get no movement.
My thinking of pulling the motor next as it seems something has to be bound up.
Headed to Harbor Freight for the cable tracker
good job. keep it up. can you remove the motor, hot wire it and see if it spins and responds to the switch?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carefree has pretty good suport if you call them (at least for troubleshooting). But you have the answer in front of you.
That red wire is the hot wire for the motor. Recently my awning "ate" my wire harness (rolled up into the awning) because the way the harness is used with 2 sided tape on the top of the arms.
The crappy design of the way they run the wires carries them behind the awning next to some sharp aluminum.
I fixed my awning after figuring out where my short was (guess what sharp aluminum does to unsheathed wire?). I haven't been able to fix my LED lights yet because I need to pull the whole owning away from the mounts to get to those wires.

There are other threads on the too sensitive properties of the awning so I am not answering them here. Know there is a solution to that problem for all the other folks and question on that topic. Adjusted properly mine no longer comes in with a soft breeze but does come in with a wind of ~15mph. I was told it was designed to come in around 18 to protect the awning and RV.

Tags
awning