RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #1

Cat thermostat gone bad

On our first long trip with the ď newĒ Revolution and noticed dash heat was not hot. Water temp was very low, anywhere from 115 to 125. So it sounds like I need new thermostats. Iím at Liberty Harbor in Jersey City till Friday the 25íth. Any recommendations for a decent mobile service? If not it looks like something I can do once I get back to Charlotte.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 09:00 PM   #2

Did you check to be sure that the shut off valves on the engine are both 'On'? I expect if one or both were off, they wouldn't have the proper temp. The valves are common on diesel pushers because of the long length of heater hose up to the dash.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Old 10-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
On our first long trip with the ď newĒ Revolution and noticed dash heat was not hot. Water temp was very low, anywhere from 115 to 125. So it sounds like I need new thermostats. Iím at Liberty Harbor in Jersey City till Friday the 25íth. Any recommendations for a decent mobile service? If not it looks like something I can do once I get back to Charlotte.
Thanks
Where and how are you measuring the water temperature? If that is actual engine temperature when she is up and running then i would tend to agree.

Do you have a device that displays all engine data or are you using something like the Medallion Display (see pic)?? BTW my Cat C7 runs between 185 and 195 all the time.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #4

I am getting the water temp from both the gauge on the dash and the electronic information screen . Is there a possibility of using an old ford tool (hammer) to unstick them?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
I am getting the water temp from both the gauge on the dash and the electronic information screen . Is there a possibility of using an old ford tool (hammer) to unstick them?

Hard to believe when running down the road the engine coolant temperatures are only 115 to 125 degrees. I almost feel like the water temperature sending sensor may be bad.

BTW, if your C9 is like my C7, there are two thermostats (Cat calls them regulators). Not all that hard to get to if you are a old FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily) shadetree mechanic.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Bigd9;5005398]

Hard to believe when running down the road the engine coolant temperatures are only 115 to 125 degrees. I almost feel like the water temperature sending sensor may be bad.

BTW, if your C9 is like my C7, there are two thermostats (Cat calls them regulators). Not all that hard to get to if you are a old FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily) shadetree mechanic. :rofl

😎👍
Old 10-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Agree that the symptom does not suggest a bad thermostat. If it was stuck wide open, the temperature would still come up to normal operation, just take a little longer. A diesel puts out way too much heat to stay cold like that. And if it was stuck closed, the engine would soon overheat.

Generally the thermostat in an electronic diesel chassis just stays closed until around 140 or so to aid warm-up, and then goes full open. The ECM manages temperature from that point on, typically by engaging the fan or not to maintain the desired temperature.

A cold engine suggests to me that the radiator fan is engaged at full speed, which is its failure mode. It fails "full on" so that you can keep on driving to the shop; if it failed "off" the engine would overheat. I'm not familiar with how a Cat ECM manages cooling, though.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Old 10-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #8

I’m new to the diesel world but l listened for the fan and didn’t hear it. When I start it I’ll open up the rear and look at at the fan. So under normal conditions, the fan should not be running at cold start up? Oh, it’s a side radiator.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Iím new to the diesel world but l listened for the fan and didnít hear it. When I start it Iíll open up the rear and look at at the fan. So under normal conditions, the fan should not be running at cold start up? Oh, itís a side radiator.

It will turn but not fast cold.

Tags
cat, thermostat