Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Changing KVH Dome to Winegard Trav'ler

I have searched the posts looking for anyone who has actually changed a dome to a Winegard themselves. This is the second coach that came with a KVH and I am tired of fiddling with them. We have "Dish for my RV" and we do not need the in motion, it doesn't work that great in the NW area anyways with so many mountains and trees. I never get over %50 signal, and everytime I switch the channels (HD) it loses the signal completely and I have to wait several minutes to find any channel. I want to switch it out for a Winegard Trav'ler and was curious as to if all the cables and wiring will work? I believe I may have to run a new wire for the controler, and hope that won't be a problem. As you can see we have a 2012 Revolution so I don't know if the new wire will be able to be fished to the front box?? I am fairly handy but do not want to pull the ceiling apart and cut any wholes in the roof.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put a Traveler in our HR Imperial, used new co ax cables, probably could have used old ones, but had to run new control cable through same hole. Easy install, other than Traveler being pretty heavy to carry up. Good luck!! I also bought the support plate, but really didn't need to, there should plenty of support. In my case one of the old cable clamp holes disappeared, I didn't see it and didn't get it caulked. First rain revealed its location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2337677259.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	499.8 KB
ID:	34776   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-393533325.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	494.6 KB
ID:	34777  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4147833331.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	34778  
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I also changed out my Kingdome for a Winegard Traveler SK-1000 for Dish Network last year and I am really happy with it. The installation was fairly easy, took me most of a day to install. The biggest problem was running the new coax and control cable. I was hoping I could pull the new cables through the same holes as the old ones, but the old ones were somehow secured under the roof and I could not pull them. So I drilled a new hole (just aft of the front cap) into the front cabinet. On hindsight I think it would have been easier to go through the cap with the hole. Not a hard job but spent a lot of time thinking about it first. I found a couple of videos on youtube that were pretty good.

Don
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I also replaced a KVH with a Winegard SK3005 and ran 2 cables for the DVR. The hard part was getting up on the roof. Now I have HD TV in the front and bedroom.