RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #1

Changing overhead lights from halogen to LED

Some of the inside overhead lights in my 2008 Southwind are halogen (Camco JC-10 is the bulb). I would like to replace with LED. How do I find a replacement LED bulb? Thanks!

arnold931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold931 View Post
Some of the inside overhead lights in my 2008 Southwind are halogen (Camco JC-10 is the bulb). I would like to replace with LED. How do I find a replacement LED bulb? Thanks!
I'm sure other folks will be able to tell you, but I wanted to bring up an issue with LED lights. Well not an issue, so much, but 'talk' of LED lights not being good for you.

I changed my lights and they are nice and warm (light color, not temp) and so far the wife hasn't even noticed that I put them in. But the other day she was reading an article and was concerned they are damaging people's vision.

I have no idea, and honestly, haven't "researched" it enough, but here's an article that covers most of the concerns:

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopener...egatively.html

TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #3

Well I purchased some on Ebay for my old 1999 Damon Challenger motorhome. They did work pretty good. They were made in China so the quality wasn't perfect but acceptable. You can buy better quality bulbs at most RV stores for more $ but again, I was pleased with the Ebay L.E.D.'s
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
M4 Products
Old 11-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #5

Bought my replacement LED bulbs on Amazon. Work great, can't tell the difference in lighting. Been a year now and have not had to replace any.
mst0neham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #6

I found that led lights in storage compartments are a good thing. If one is left on, it will not overheat and burn a hole in the lens cover, and it will not kill the battery.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #7

http://www.superbrightleds.com was a good source for mine and Amazon also. I didn't find any issues with interior lights but I bought LED replacements my coach clearance lights only to find Fleetwood connected the wires unconventionally on them. The center pin negative and the receptacle positive. Many small LED lights don't accommodate reverse polarity.

Steve

visit us at: Oconto Yacht Club
stevewitt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM   #8

My Bay Star has small round lights that had halogen bulbs in them. The two most annoying (due to heat) were over the bed. I replaced them with these LED lights I found on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These LED lights are almost identical in length to the halogen bulbs that were in the fixtures, so it made replacement easy. I found others online, but many of them are longer in length.

They seem to be well made and I used 7 of them without any problem. The only lights that aren't LEDs now are the fluorescent overhead fixtures. Of those, the only ones we use are the two located by the kitchen work area and the passageway to the bedroom. So, I think I'll be looking at that project when we get to sunny Florida in January!
Old Yesterday, 05:43 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Call Joe at cabinbright.com. He will tell you everything you need to know.
hydro45640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM   #10

I converted the overhead fluorescent lights to LED. I used the 12 VDC strip lights and snap on connectors from amazon. I had pictures but have lost them. I removed the ballast and old connectors from the fixtures retaining the switches and cleaned the inside of the fixtures with alcohol. The LED strips I used are in a 16 ft roll and can be cut every third? light and have adhesive on the back. I put 4 strips in each fixture. I attached the snap on connector to the fixture with a hot glue gun. Do not use the "outdoor" strip lights, they have a thick coating on them and it has to be removed to use the snap on connectors.

redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, lights