Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkunz View Post
And, now that I think about it, the coach batteries don't charge while the engine is running, either. Could these two issues be linked?

Here's a picture of my set up, may help you to identify parts in your coach.

Relay on the back wall , top right, is the coach battery disconnect. Heavy cable from the right side of that relay, goes to the " Big Boy " constant duty relay, in the center. The Big Boy in my case has 3 functions , two controlled by the BIRD control box below it, the BIRD, when it senses charge to either the chassis ( alternator power) or coach batteries ( converter charger), activates the Big Boy, to charge all the batteries. Third function of the relay is boost, controlled by the dash switch to connect all batteries for starting.
Some manufactures use separate relays , one constant duty for the charging, another , momentary for the boost function.
Cable through the back wall ; top right ; is power from the coach batteries, the cable from the bottom, post of the Big Boy , out through the compartment wall is chassis battery power .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0273 (640x360).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	98045  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 01:00 AM   #16

Ok guys we need to talk. I have the 2002 Fleetwood Revolution 40c. Before I bought it some jackass of a worker at some RV dealer started cutting and rerunning new wires when something started not working, Well went I got the motorhome is was in nice shape because they spent most of there time rerouting around what was wrong. Lets see, Fog lights did not work, driver and passenger fans did not work, automatic step did not work half the time.it also worked with security system Ever blassed thing goes thru the BCC both back first and then the front slide is next. After i replaced the upgrade board everything worked like it had just came out of the factory It also controls charging of both Coach and Chassie batteries all charge not matter what is providing the power to your coach.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #17

Aux start works, or I'd really be screwed with the battery problems I've been having.

The "big boy" relay is functioning.

My BCC haas/had a fried board. That kept the slide from going out, and conjecture is that it's what is screwing up the charging, as well. They both happened about the same time, I just never put two and two together. I should have an idea later this week if the board fixed a lot of things, since it seems to control a lot of things.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
Like I stated, ALL Fleetwood coaches (and many others, like Newmar, Damon and HR) have provided this capability for over 20 years.

The 93/94 Pace Arrow diesel pushers DID NOT charge the chassis batteries when on shore power. So the "ALL Fleetwood coaches" statement is NOT correct. You could state "most" but not ALL

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, chassis