Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check engine light questions

I did a search and didn't come up with a lot of info. About 2 weeks ago I purchased an '03 Expedition 37U, this is my first diesel vehicle of any kind and I am a little concerned with regards to the check engine light.

Shortly after purchase my wife and I took a short trip (about 300 miles roundtrip). On the way we stopped at a truck wash and had the RV washed. After getting back on the road about 15 minutes later going up our first hill the check engine light came on and stayed lit for about 45 seconds. I slowed down and prepared to stop when it went out. I thought perhaps something had gotten wet in the wash as I had asked them to wash the engine bay as well, so we continued on and I kept a close eye on it. The light never came back on the entire trip so I figured that is what it was.

Fast forward to yesterday, I went out started it up and noticed that the check engine light remained on for about 30 seconds after the engine was running. I don't remember it doing this before but in all honesty I've only started it perhaps 6 times and very well may have over looked it prior to yesterday. Is that normal behavior? Is there an easy way to see if there is any codes stored? I do plan to purchase and use the Silverleaf VMSpc in the near future but probably not for another month or two.

Thanks!
RClifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #2

Could be your coolant level is marginal ; from the first time you had the light on .
My coach has 3 lights , that display for engine faults.
Check Engine- comes on with detected fault codes. Stays on as long as the fault is active, stores code & turns off light when fault isn't detected anymore.
Engine Protect- second stage after check engine - multiple or extreme faults detected, engine power limited -GET OFF the road now.
and Stop Engine- your damaging( have damaged) your motor.
Using the flash method for code retrieval is hit and miss, easy to miscount the flashes and in some cases won't work at all.
JMHO: Check all your fluid levels , then wait to see what the Silverleaf has to say.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
VMSPc is a wonderful tool that can, and will, save you money on troubleshooting problems like this. Another plus is that it is a wonderful engine monitor!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
You should have engine computer connections under your steering wheel and in the back. Have a technician hook it up and find out what codes it delivered. Even though the light is off your computer stores the information and will deliver the last code. Then you can take it from there.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #5

I had a similar situation just last week that I covered in this thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/chec...ht-202924.html

I had no way to retrieve the fault codes so I took the coach to my local Cat shop and they were able to pull up the fault code and narrow down the problem to a bad pressure sensor, whatever that is. They are replacing it now and I should pick up the coach later this week.

I also was concerned that with just the Check Engine light which could be any number of possible issues you are in the dark as to what the problem may be. So I starting looking at the Silverleaf VMSpc system to not only provide more details on possible problems that come up but to also add a much better means to monitor the engine, millage and trip results than what was provide in the stock Freightliner instrument panel. Here is another thread on this subject that I started that provides great information and feed back on the Silverleaf VMCps system and the types computer/tablet setups and Bluetooth/WiFi/USB connections.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/silv...pc-203339.html

I would suggest that you take it to your Engine or Chassis shop and have them retrieve the codes and provide the needed service.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Sorry for the late follow up but we were out for an extended weekend. I did want to post back tho and update. I contacted Freightliner and after speaking with a tech for awhile he believed it was an issue with the chassis batteries. I unhooked all the connections, cleaned everything well, checked water etc. and the light was still on for a short period of time after startup. However after being plugged I all weekend, when we started up to leave there was no light.

I plan on purchasing the VMSpc setup next week and will post back if there are any codes that point to something else.
RClifton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light