Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Closet Floor - Access To Engine

On my 2007 Fleetwood Excursion 39V, I have access to the top side of my engine bay via a floor panel under the bed frame. Does anyone know if the aft closet floor is removable to access the area directly above the radiator fan shroud? I am reading that on some coaches (apparently Winnebago in particular) with similar chassises as mine this is the case. I am getting ready to replace the rear radiator surge tank on my rig and access to that area would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this.

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
If you have access, you will be able to feel indentions in the carpet which are probably the screw heads holding that panel in place. Check you gaskets to make sure they are in the correct place to make a tight fit
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

I just replaced my fan clutch and several other things on my 2008 Discovery. Closet floor is not removable. Stupid on Fleetwoods part. Extremely difficult to access everything
pff54p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:55 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you sure the floor isn't removable? That would be very strange. My '08 Bounder 38S the floor is removable and how I access the radiator etc for cleaning.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pff54p View Post
I just replaced my fan clutch and several other things on my 2008 Discovery. Closet floor is not removable. Stupid on Fleetwoods part. Extremely difficult to access everything
Thanks for your response. I am surprised you have a fan clutch on your Discovery. I am pretty sure I don't have one on my Excursion with the same C7 engine.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #6

On my 2006 Discovery, the closet floor is completely removable and the back of the surge tank and top of the fan shroud is visible.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
On my 2006 Discovery, the closet floor is completely removable and the back of the surge tank and top of the fan shroud is visible.
My 2005 Fleetwood Providence is the same. Just feel around for a few large screw heads.
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #8

I could find only one screw and it was similar to a dry wall screw. The floor was completely carpeted running under the right side closet into an area that houses the EMS and the engines air intake ( motor homes left side). Looking up at the floor from the engine side it was sealed up with black silicone. It does no good to have a removable floor if you have to remove all the radiator accessories to cut it free from all the silicone they gobbed on it. Believe me if the floor could have come out it would have. As it was it made it miserable working on. I would love to see pictures of the removable floors. I took pictures of my process and if I could post them I would. I'm more of a mechanical guy than computer guy. My engine is the first of the 2007 smog compliant ISB 6.7 Cummins, but the motorhome is a 2008 Discovery 40X.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my parents 04 bounder has a panel that removes, he changed the surge tank via this opening.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I could find only one screw and it was similar to a dry wall screw. The floor was completely carpeted running under the right side closet into an area that houses the EMS and the engines air intake ( motor homes left side). Looking up at the floor from the engine side it was sealed up with black silicone. It does no good to have a removable floor if you have to remove all the radiator accessories to cut it free from all the silicone they gobbed on it. Believe me if the floor could have come out it would have. As it was it made it miserable working on. I would love to see pictures of the removable floors. I took pictures of my process and if I could post them I would. I'm more of a mechanical guy than computer guy. My engine is the first of the 2007 smog compliant ISB 6.7 Cummins, but the motorhome is a 2008 Discovery 40X.
PFF54P, I have the same 07 engine in a 08 Fleetwood build except it is a Bounder instead of a Discovery. I could not image changing out a fan clutch (which I have done) or cleaning the CAC/Radiator without removing the closet floor.

It comes out in 2 pieces...one piece over the air cleaner intake and the other other the closet. I'll get pics and send you.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #11

That would be great mevman. I would like to see that. I'm 64 and built drag cars, drag boats, rebuilt and restored a lot of cars. If that floor was removable I believe I would have found it. If I can figure out how to post pictures I'll show what I went through. Thanks again
Old 07-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #12

here is a photo I took last year when I had to replace my coolant tank. In my 2005 Fleetwood Providence. The floor has 4 large headed screws that hold it down. I had to pull a few hundred staples that were keeping the carpet down on the sides so the floor could come up !! The hatch is much larger than I had thought it might be.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #13

No sweat--what model Providence do you have. My closet doesn't look that deep.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
No sweat--what model Providence do you have. My closet doesn't look that deep.
It's a 39L about 26-28" deep It's about 6' wide. It has 4 slides.

The square tab on the left bottom is where one of my screws are at another on on the right. It is a very tight fit. Will try to get more photos today as I need to replace the regulators and clean the CAC. It ran hot on our way home last week in the mountains in Vermont and Penn. Had to pull over a couple of times when the temp got up to 220 degrees. Only took a few minuets to get back under 200 degrees.

Tags
engine, floor