RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

Coach Batteries not Charging

I have a 1998 Bounder and I'm having trouble keeping the auxiliary batteries charged. I've checked the voltage at the converter output and it reads 14.5 volts, however when I check the voltage at the aux batteries it reads 12.5 volts. I've checked the water level in the batteries and it's good. The batteries will charge and hold a charge with a regular battery charger. It seems for some reason the converter output voltage is not reaching the batteries. I don't have a wiring diagram so I'm not sure where to check. I've checked all fuses and circuit breakers that I can find and all checked good. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve and Jan Fowler
1998 Bounder

Papawteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #2

Steve; Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry I can't provide any exact information on your problem. But I will ask a question.
Does the voltage at the coach batteries vary at all, when the coach is plugged in , VS , when the coach is not on shore power ?
If the voltage is higher at all, even a couple of 1/10s of a volt , that would point to a poor connection in the wiring , rather than an open circuit , caused by a broken wire or hidden fuse/ circuit breaker.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your Bounder has a box located on the front outside firewall (under the hood) just in front of the drivers side position. It's called an RV-Custom Products BCC (Battery Control Center).

There are two DC circuit breakers located inside (most likely in the lower left corner of the box.) Locate the breakers and depress the little black plunger in each breaker to reset. These circuit breakers are what connects your batteries to the main power panel inside the RV so they can be charged, and also feed the loads when converter is not available (not plugged into shore power)
The breakers will look like this;

The interior of the BCC box will look like this;
Old 11-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #4

Ok I checked the voltage at the auxiliary batteries with everything connected as it should be and connected to shore power. Then I disconnected the wires at the converter disconnected the shore power and checking voltage at the batteries and it was still the same. It had not decreased or increased it all.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

The picture of your circuit board looks identical to the one on my coach however I don't remember seeing those two circuit breaker's in the lower left corner I'll go check it if I find them I'll try to reset them thanks. I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #6

Do you have a fuse like this? I have gone through a couple of them. Everything will read 14 volt except the batteries.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2015 Wranagler JKU towed
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Do you have a fuse like this? I have gone through a couple of them. Everything will read 14 volt except the batteries.

A
Where is this fuse located? I've not seen one.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:46 AM   #8

I checked these circuit breakers and they are good ran a continuity check and voltage check on both sides.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawteve View Post
A
Where is this fuse located? I've not seen one.
I have two of them. One is near my inverter/charger and the other is in my battery compartment. They have a plastic sliding cover over them.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2015 Wranagler JKU towed
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I have two of them. One is near my inverter/charger and the other is in my battery compartment. They have a plastic sliding cover over them.
The Bounder does NOT use a fuse like this between the batteries and the distribution panel where the converter attaches. That's the function of those two circuit breakers in the BCC.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawteve View Post
I checked these circuit breakers and they are good ran a continuity check and voltage check on both sides.
Quetions I forgot to ask in the beginning:
  1. When the Aux batteries do have a charge, will they feed power back to the coach (i.e. lights and appliances ?)
  2. Do you have the Aux Batteries connected while plugged to shore power, or do you have the Disconnect switch, by the entry door OFF?
If the answer to the above questions are (YES) and (YES), the next step would be to check the voltage on each side of the breakers when you are plugged into shore power with the converter running. If the voltage reads battery voltage, and NOT the higher converter voltage, the wires from the converter must be bad.

If the answers are (YES) and (NO), then you need to set the Battery Disconnect switch to the "USE" (switch ON) position during attempted charging.

The same path is used to charge the batteries as is used to feed battery power back to the interior of the coach. The Batteries must be Connected when charging.

If you need the information to trace the wiring, the connections between the converter output and the batteries is pretty simple:
  • The converter feeds the Main fuse panel on the right side of the Main a/c Breaker Panel
  • There are two 10 gauge wires attached to, that same point in the Fuse panel that go to the BCC.
  • The two 10 gauge wires from the fuse panel attach to the two DC circuit breakers in the BCC.
  • The BCC circuit breakers are attached to the batteries THROUGH the Aux Battery Disconnect Solenoid.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had the same problem with my 2006 Jamboree
Called Fleetwood & a Tech told me about a very small black circuit breaker switch located at the very bottom of battery box
He said if a I see this black switch protruding just push it back in
Very hard to see but Yes it was protruding out & I pushed it back in & now everything works great Able to charge my batteries with no problem
PS: checked all manuals but no mention of this switch
Hope this works
Let me know???
Ted
TrekGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGreat View Post
I had the same problem with my 2006 Jamboree
Called Fleetwood & a Tech told me about a very small black circuit breaker switch located at the very bottom of battery box
He said if a I see this black switch protruding just push it back in
Very hard to see but Yes it was protruding out & I pushed it back in & now everything works great Able to charge my batteries with no problem
PS: checked all manuals but no mention of this switch
Hope this works
Let me know???
Ted
That "switch" is actually an indicator that the circuit breaker has tripped. Pushing it back in resets "closes" the breaker.

The OP said he checked his, and they were fine.

Tags
batteries, charging