Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Coating roof

I need to hear from folks who have applied paint on roof coating to a fleetwood rv with the rubber roofing. what have you used, and do you recommend? are there any single element paints that work on our roofing? i know Lowes sells a product with 20 year warrantee, but no one there knew which activator/primer you had to use.... thanks
oldguyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I assume you mean coating your EPDM Rubber roof? You do not use standard paint. I coated my roof a few years ago and purchased the coating online:
RV Roof Repair Coatings to Fix RV Roof Leaks | EPDM Coatings

I think I purchased 3 five gallon containers. I washed the roof first, then let it dry for a day. I purchased a mixer for my drill and mixed the 2-part coating. Then I applied it using a standard paint roller with an extension. Start at the front of the roof and work your way back to the ladder. Roll it on very thick. It is important to not do this outside if rain if forecast.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I assume you mean coating your EPDM Rubber roof? You do not use standard paint.
that site instructions say not to apply that coating to fleetwood roofs, unless you put a primer on first. does the term "EPDM Rubber roof" refer to the kind of rubber roof on the fleetwood, or to the material you said to put on the existing roof?
did you have to put on a separate primer?
oldguyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
What is the status of your existing roof and what specifically are you trying to accomplish with "Coating the roof" of your fleetwood?

Backgrounder info;
There are lots of threads on IRV2 regarding treating EPDM or rubber roofs. Does your Fleetwood have a EPDM roof, or other material? TPO or Fiberglass are two other materials used in RV roofs.

According to DICOR, one EPDM manufacturer, the rubber roofs only need twice yearly cleaning with non petroleum solvent soaps. No additive "treatment" is required.

Some owners wish to "seal" EPDM porous membrane with RV Rubber roof sealers/treatment. I did once a number of years ago, never did again as I did not see any advantage to ease of annual cleanliness, or extension of life of the EPDM.

EPDM is designed to oxidize a certain percentage each year; not a concern for normal 15-20 year life of an RV. Analogous to stainless/Aluminum/Copper oxidization; leave the oxide on the surface, it is a natural protection.

My thoughts,
Brian

EDIT: Just looked at link above - the product indicated is a liquid EPDM, to seal a roof if there are leaks. I would use an ETERNABOND TAPE for repairs/rips. IF the entire roof is leaking then i would use product similar to the link, or replace the entire EPDM roof.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:17 AM   #5

Someone coated mine with something that started to peel off a couple of years after I purchased it. I pressure washed it off and removed the stuff they used. Did some research and concluded the product I ultimately used was incompatible with a rubber roof however comma, it has worked fine so far. It was only $80 for five gallons so if it peels of in a couple of years I figure no big deal.

Henry 4.75 Gal. 587 White Roof Coating-HE587871 - The Home Depot
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof