Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Converter upgrade

Can I upgrade my PD9245C with a PD9280. I would like to charge the batteries faster.
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You can, but you may find that the battery control center has a 50A breaker in it and the 80A charger might trip it if the batteries are real low and the charge rate exceeds 50A. I had that problem when I upgraded the converter on a 2002.

Be aware that the 9280 isn't necessarily any faster than the 9245 unless the battery is really low. Both chargers use a variable charge rate based on battery state-of-charge and it's only in the bulk charge mode that the 9280 pours in the extra amps. Not much difference in absorption mode and no difference in float mode. And it will still take around 70 hours to reach 100% state-of-charge on a single battery. The 9280 might reach the 80% charge level a bit sooner, though.

However, the 9280 will outperform the 9245 with larger or additional batteries, i.e. a battery bank that will accept more amps. The charger goes into bulk mode more often that way. You should see a noticeable difference if you have multiple batteries and the charge state is relatively low (under 65%)
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

I made that conversion on my 95 Bounder. Your BCC has 2 30 amp resetable breakers and I doubt that you'll ever exceed their capacity. I didn't, even when I added 2 more 6 volt batteries. You can run another conductor from the converter to the BCC and add another 30 amp breaker if you like. The 80 amp converter will definitely out perform your old 45 amp converter. Go for it.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Mine would trip the BCC breaker whenever we were boondocking and I turned on the genset to recharge the batteries. With the batteries discharged to 50% or less, the 80A charger would hit it with big amps as soon as the genset power came on. I had to put a jumper cable on to bypass the BCC for about 10 minutes until that initial surge passed. After that it was fine again. I ended up putting in a bypass using a battery cable and a manual disconnect switch and I used that on the occasions when the batteries got real low, i.e. boondocking. In normal use, the charge amps never got high enough to trip the 50A breaker.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, upgrade